Create XP SP2 CD with latest system files

July 5, 2005 3:39:47 PM

I had to reinstall an .inf file and it called for files on my XP CD. The
problem is that the XP CD is the original RTM version and my system has been
updated to SP1 and SP2. The installation program wanted to install older
versions of the files from the CD over the existing versions. I found some
but not all the files I needed for the installation in the folder "Service
Pack Files."

Is there some way to create a CD that contains all the current system files
that I need to repair XP SP2. Sort of a current snapshot. It would not
have to be an installation disk, just a repair disk.

It would be nice to be able to get a installation disk that is current
without having to pay for a new full version of XP. After all these years
my system is so garbaged up that dumping it and starting over is appealing.
I do not want to start with my RTM and then run all the upgrades, it would
take forever. Microsoft must realize that there are a lot of people with
the same problem. Perhaps someone could convince them to come up with a
cleanup tool. But I am dreaming again.

Bill-R
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:57:01 PM

Make a new Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Bill Rankin" wrote:

| I had to reinstall an .inf file and it called for files on my XP CD. The
| problem is that the XP CD is the original RTM version and my system has been
| updated to SP1 and SP2. The installation program wanted to install older
| versions of the files from the CD over the existing versions. I found some
| but not all the files I needed for the installation in the folder "Service
| Pack Files."
|
| Is there some way to create a CD that contains all the current system files
| that I need to repair XP SP2. Sort of a current snapshot. It would not
| have to be an installation disk, just a repair disk.
|
| It would be nice to be able to get a installation disk that is current
| without having to pay for a new full version of XP. After all these years
| my system is so garbaged up that dumping it and starting over is appealing.
| I do not want to start with my RTM and then run all the upgrades, it would
| take forever. Microsoft must realize that there are a lot of people with
| the same problem. Perhaps someone could convince them to come up with a
| cleanup tool. But I am dreaming again.
|
| Bill-R
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:54:51 PM

Hi Bill,

You could create a slipstreamed install CD by following the instructions
here:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
(or do a web search for slipstreaming instructions, as plenty of them
abound!)
Also, many people seem pleased with having used autostreamer to slipstream:
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/u...

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Bill Rankin" <bkds_rankin@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o GgMpAYgFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I had to reinstall an .inf file and it called for files on my XP CD. The
> problem is that the XP CD is the original RTM version and my system has
been
> updated to SP1 and SP2. The installation program wanted to install older
> versions of the files from the CD over the existing versions. I found
some
> but not all the files I needed for the installation in the folder "Service
> Pack Files."
>
> Is there some way to create a CD that contains all the current system
files
> that I need to repair XP SP2. Sort of a current snapshot. It would not
> have to be an installation disk, just a repair disk.
>
> It would be nice to be able to get a installation disk that is current
> without having to pay for a new full version of XP. After all these years
> my system is so garbaged up that dumping it and starting over is
appealing.
> I do not want to start with my RTM and then run all the upgrades, it would
> take forever. Microsoft must realize that there are a lot of people with
> the same problem. Perhaps someone could convince them to come up with a
> cleanup tool. But I am dreaming again.
>
> Bill-R

July 5, 2005 5:23:44 PM

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

Bill

"Bill Rankin" <bkds_rankin@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o GgMpAYgFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I had to reinstall an .inf file and it called for files on my XP CD. The
>problem is that the XP CD is the original RTM version and my system has
>been updated to SP1 and SP2. The installation program wanted to install
>older versions of the files from the CD over the existing versions. I
>found some but not all the files I needed for the installation in the
>folder "Service Pack Files."
>
> Is there some way to create a CD that contains all the current system
> files that I need to repair XP SP2. Sort of a current snapshot. It would
> not have to be an installation disk, just a repair disk.
>
> It would be nice to be able to get a installation disk that is current
> without having to pay for a new full version of XP. After all these years
> my system is so garbaged up that dumping it and starting over is
> appealing. I do not want to start with my RTM and then run all the
> upgrades, it would take forever. Microsoft must realize that there are a
> lot of people with the same problem. Perhaps someone could convince them
> to come up with a cleanup tool. But I am dreaming again.
>
> Bill-R

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:54:16 PM

Bill Rankin wrote:

> I had to reinstall an .inf file and it called for files on my XP CD. The
> problem is that the XP CD is the original RTM version and my system has been
> updated to SP1 and SP2. The installation program wanted to install older
> versions of the files from the CD over the existing versions. I found some
> but not all the files I needed for the installation in the folder "Service
> Pack Files."
>
> Is there some way to create a CD that contains all the current system files
> that I need to repair XP SP2. Sort of a current snapshot. It would not
> have to be an installation disk, just a repair disk.
> (snip)
Hi,

Use your RTM version to create a slipstreamed SP2 CD.

You can download the SP2 file (266 MBs) from here:

or if you have a copy of the SP2 CD, you can use the xpsp2.exe
file from that CD.

Then follow e.g. the directions in the following article to
create a slipstreamed XP CD:

Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

Slipstreaming and Boot CDs
http://www.justinwojas.com/bootcd.htm

Slipstreaming Windows 2000/XP [SP1,SP1a,SP2] (TTID #295)
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
July 6, 2005 4:36:51 AM

You're very welcome :-)