Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with Crashing and BSOD

Last response: in Windows 7
September 4, 2012 7:41:09 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first time here and I hope I am posting my question in the correct place in the forum, if not I apologize in advance.
I built this new computer 2 months ago and I have been experiencing some issues with it since then, I already searched alot in the net to see if I could figure out what's wrong but no luck as of now.

The Problem: I get Blue screens whenever I am playing Battlefield 3, Crysis 2 and Max Payne 3, if not a blue screen the games crash to the desktop. The computer works perfectly fine though when I am working with it, using Photoshop, Illustrator, watching movies or listening to music all at the same time. The only game I play without problems is Diablo 3, it's never crashed so far. I already ran many tests and tried many fixes but I am willing to start over since I am asking for help here.

I am not sure if my build will come up in my profile yet so I will write it down here too:

ASUS Sabertooth z77
i5 3550 at stock speeds
2x 4gb corsair, I set it at XMP in the bios so it's running at its sold speed of 2000 MHz
GTX 580 at stock speeds
SSD Corsair Force series 3 120GB for windows 7 64bits(fully updated)
HDD Seagate 1tb for storage
PSU Corsair TX850M

The blue screens errors vary, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and one pointing to a nvidia driver file.
The temps of vga is at 70 celcius under full load and cpu at 45 celcius under full load. All drivers are updated and so is the BIOS.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

More about : crashing bsod

a b $ Windows 7
September 4, 2012 7:47:10 PM

What model of memory do you have?

Does the XMP your running match the timings and voltage listed on the dimms?

2000 mhz really isn't supported, have you tried 1800 or 1600?
September 4, 2012 8:09:32 PM

sounds like your gDDR chips on the graphics card is overheating. what type of cooler is it?

If it is full coverage you should try replacing the thermal pads on the gDDR chips and possibly increasing the fan speed.

Here is a link to the ones I bought for my 4870x2 that was having the exact same trouble (but with skyrim)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270919367013?ssPageName=STRK:...

Worst case you have to underclock the memory with a program like GPUtool...
Related resources
September 4, 2012 10:46:30 PM

geekapproved said:
What model of memory do you have?

Does the XMP your running match the timings and voltage listed on the dimms?

2000 mhz really isn't supported, have you tried 1800 or 1600?

First, thanks for your reply man,

Yes it's running at the exact same specifications I got on the dimms, when I don't use the XMP profile they only run at 1060, I tried running with it that like and still got the crashes and bsods. I haven't tried running at different speeds tho, like you suggested at 1800 or 1600, do you think it would make a difference to try at those speeds?

The models I have are these: http://www.corsair.com/en/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/...

Thanks again.
September 4, 2012 10:57:18 PM

americanbrian said:
sounds like your gDDR chips on the graphics card is overheating. what type of cooler is it?

If it is full coverage you should try replacing the thermal pads on the gDDR chips and possibly increasing the fan speed.

Here is a link to the ones I bought for my 4870x2 that was having the exact same trouble (but with skyrim)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270919367013?ssPageName=STRK:...

Worst case you have to underclock the memory with a program like GPUtool...

Thanks for your help man,

Ok, I am not sure if mine is full coverage this is the model I got here: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-158...,

I will try underclocking it with the tool evga gave with it, should I underclock just the memories? or the clock and shaders too?

I think this could be it man I hadnt tried before but this card is weird, when I am running BTF3 for example, the fan only goes to 65% but the card gets to almost 85 celcius, so I increase the fan speed to 75% to keep it at 70 celcius. I will decrease them and see how it holds up.

Thanks again!
September 5, 2012 9:56:58 AM

YES, that is a full coverage cooler.. as opposed to a "flower" style cooler (which is useless) see here:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5605/c8b1a82c4fbe490...

just the memory, increase the fan to %100 temporarily (just to see if the diagnoses is correct, at the least it should buy you more time before crashing if this is the problem) underclock if you still have crashing (and do it significantly i.e. at least - %20-%30)

A long term fix would be to replace the thermal pads with high performance ones like I showed you.... There are even better ones but they start to cost a lot (like £30 or $50)

Link to the best of the best but pricey pads: (need 2 at least for the gDDR but only 1 of the ones I posted previously as it is a larger pack size)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extreme-Performance-Thermal-P...
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 12:10:00 PM

Quote:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

RAM. Don't even need to debug farther then that. 99% of the time, these two BSOD's equate to faulty system RAM.

Run memtest86. I'd be shocked if it doesn't return memory errors.
September 5, 2012 2:13:19 PM

^^ You are absolutely correct but it seems you overlook that there is ram on the graphics card that is subjected to a lot of heat... As is the bulk of this discussion....

However it is definitely worth checking out the system ram too, as stated above.

I feel that due to the problem being prominent only while gaming and apparently at no other time I feel that it is most likely the RAM on the graphics card.
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 3:42:58 PM

gamerk316 said:
Quote:

RAM. Don't even need to debug farther then that. 99% of the time, these two BSOD's equate to faulty system RAM.

That's basically what I told him
September 6, 2012 6:28:12 AM

americanbrian said:
YES, that is a full coverage cooler.. as opposed to a "flower" style cooler (which is useless) see here:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5605/c8b1a82c4fbe490...

just the memory, increase the fan to %100 temporarily (just to see if the diagnoses is correct, at the least it should buy you more time before crashing if this is the problem) underclock if you still have crashing (and do it significantly i.e. at least - %20-%30)

A long term fix would be to replace the thermal pads with high performance ones like I showed you.... There are even better ones but they start to cost a lot (like £30 or $50)

Link to the best of the best but pricey pads: (need 2 at least for the gDDR but only 1 of the ones I posted previously as it is a larger pack size)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extreme-Performance-Thermal-P...

Thanks again for your reply man.

I ran a few tests doing what you said I lowered the clock of the ram by alot, dropped it from 2004MHz to 1000MHz and I was able to play alot longer than before, for almost 2 hours but it eventually crashed, althogh the temps shown were at 60c all along so I am not sure temps are the problem unless the sensor isnt showing it right.

So I opened the card dust it out and applied some new thermal paste to the GPU I didnt open where the pads go tho because I read once we crack that open we need to replace whatever is there, put the card back in and ran the games again, I nocited a 2 to 3c drop in temp just by doing that but still crashed so I think I really need to change the pads like you said.

I had already ran memtest86 previously like gamerk316 advised, did it again for a clean conscience and they both passed the text alright.

I will wait for the pads and see what happens, thanks again man, much appreciated.

September 6, 2012 6:30:17 AM

gamerk316 said:
Quote:

Thanks for you advice man,

I ran memtest on both sticks separetely and there were no errors, so i am not sure that's the problem unless I need to run the test longer I let the test run for about 1 hour on each stick you think thats enough?

Thanks again!
September 6, 2012 7:15:48 AM

2000MHz it's rough on the memory controller... set the XMP profile and give DRAM voltage a bump about .05v (1.55v if 1.5v RAM) and give a little more voltage to VCCIO. Up to 1.15v is considered safe but I wouldn't go over 1.1v. Can also try enabling PLL over voltage.
September 6, 2012 8:11:42 AM

huskull said:
Thanks again for your reply man.

I ran a few tests doing what you said I lowered the clock of the ram by alot, dropped it from 2004MHz to 1000MHz and I was able to play alot longer than before, for almost 2 hours but it eventually crashed, althogh the temps shown were at 60c all along so I am not sure temps are the problem unless the sensor isnt showing it right.

So I opened the card dust it out and applied some new thermal paste to the GPU I didnt open where the pads go tho because I read once we crack that open we need to replace whatever is there, put the card back in and ran the games again, I nocited a 2 to 3c drop in temp just by doing that but still crashed so I think I really need to change the pads like you said.

I had already ran memtest86 previously like gamerk316 advised, did it again for a clean conscience and they both passed the text alright.

I will wait for the pads and see what happens, thanks again man, much appreciated.

Indeed, the Temperature monitor usually only tells you the GPU temp, unless you have one labled "MEMIO" that will give you a idea of the mem temps, but even with that you have to remember that there are 8 individual chips and the sensor is only near one. If that is not the one overheating then its a guessing game. Safest is to replace the thermal pads on all of them.

a b $ Windows 7
September 6, 2012 12:05:54 PM

RussK1 said:
2000MHz it's rough on the memory controller... set the XMP profile and give DRAM voltage a bump about .05v (1.55v if 1.5v RAM) and give a little more voltage to VCCIO. Up to 1.15v is considered safe but I wouldn't go over 1.1v. Can also try enabling PLL over voltage.

Yep, thats the next step. Typically, if I see RAM related BSOD messages and memtest passes, I assume a voltage bump is needed for stability purposes. Another way to test would be to run only two sticks, which is less stress on the memory controller.

Also, use 2T timings if you're not; 1T tends to be very unstable...
a b $ Windows 7
September 6, 2012 12:10:32 PM

americanbrian said:
^^ You are absolutely correct but it seems you overlook that there is ram on the graphics card that is subjected to a lot of heat... As is the bulk of this discussion....

However it is definitely worth checking out the system ram too, as stated above.

I feel that due to the problem being prominent only while gaming and apparently at no other time I feel that it is most likely the RAM on the graphics card.

If it WAS a GPU problem, I'd expect either 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR or 0x117: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT, as the GPU driver would crash is the VRAM was bad. I'd also expect other GPU Accelerated tasks (flash) to crash as well.
September 6, 2012 3:16:10 PM

Quote:
Another way to test would be to run only two sticks, which is less stress on the memory controller.

+1

Very true.
September 9, 2012 10:26:05 PM

Hey eveyone,

I started a new installation of windows but this time I didn't install it in the SSD from Corsair I installed it in another Mechanical hard disk I had here and so far no crashes! I have been playing every game that was crashing and giving BSODs before and really for hours and hours last night I let my bro play for 5 or 6 hours straight.

So I am guessing it was the SSD? I say that because before I had already started fresh with new windows installations to see if the problem would go away but it was always in the same SSD drive I have and the problem would always persist.

Please let me know what you folks thinks, if it's possible that it has been the SSD all along.

Cheers and thanks for all the help so far!

Best solution

September 10, 2012 8:54:19 AM

That is interesting...

The only Game I have on my SSD is skyrim, which is the same one that was giving me problems. My graphics card has a sensor on the MEMIO (video memory) and I could see it would rocket up in skyrim....

Could it be that SSD's put more stress on the gDDR somehow? I think it is worth investigating.... should be easy for me to install skyrim on my mechanical drive and do a couple of side by side comparisons....
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 12:26:32 PM

Some SSD's have significant firmware problems and need updates. Wouldn't expect those particular BSOD's to be thrown in that case, but its possible...
September 19, 2012 8:20:49 PM

Best answer selected by huskull.
September 19, 2012 8:31:35 PM

After 10 days running on the mechanical drive I have experienced 0 crashes and bsods, I have also installed windows on a different SSD I had here, a 64gb Kingston and also 0 issues so far.

So for sure it was the Corsair SSD, after coming to this conclusion I found other texts on google with people having similar issues with the same SSD or with SSDs that use the same Sandforce controller. It might be some incompatibilty with the z77 chip+processor+memory.

Well since my problem is solved I would like to thank everyone for the help, and we can close the thread.

Cheers!
September 19, 2012 8:39:44 PM

Thanks, glad we could help!
September 19, 2012 8:46:25 PM

huskull said:
After 10 days running on the mechanical drive I have experienced 0 crashes and bsods, I have also installed windows on a different SSD I had here, a 64gb Kingston and also 0 issues so far.

So for sure it was the Corsair SSD, after coming to this conclusion I found other texts on google with people having similar issues with the same SSD or with SSDs that use the same Sandforce controller. It might be some incompatibilty with the z77 chip+processor+memory.

Well since my problem is solved I would like to thank everyone for the help, and we can close the thread.

Cheers!

It is not just that combo of hardware, I have a lga775 + Q6600 + Kingston SSD v100+ + DDR2 + 4870x2

and I had the same sort of problem, it is only because my GLH graphics card has a temp sensor for the memory that I could see it happening.

I know that they started some sort of texture streaming with RAGE, and skyrim uses it too. I wonder if you are able to stream the textures really fast to the VRAM it maybe adds lots of stress/heat... That is my thoughts and I am sticking with it...
!