language comparison?

I am a new ("aspiring?") author of IF. My quesiotn, simply, is tthus: is
there a "unbiased" comparison of the major writing languages (hugo, inform,
TADS, glulx) which I could quickly (or not so quickly!) read and determine
on my own which fits my needs best?

_____

Why settle for the lesser evil? Cthulhu for President!
6 answers Last reply
More about language comparison
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Here, James Bond <wildblinker007@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I am a new ("aspiring?") author of IF. My quesiotn, simply, is tthus: is
    > there a "unbiased" comparison of the major writing languages (hugo, inform,
    > TADS, glulx) which I could quickly (or not so quickly!) read and determine
    > on my own which fits my needs best?

    You are looking for the Cloak of Darkness site, which has a small
    sample game implemented in a whole lot of languages:

    <http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/>

    --Z

    *
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message

    > You are looking for the Cloak of Darkness site, which has a small
    > sample game implemented in a whole lot of languages:
    >
    > <http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/>

    Er, that page gives me a DNS error. "404!"--Strong Bad. But, I will google
    for it, and once I sort through all of the neogoth livejournals I will
    (probably) rind it. So thanks anyways.

    _____

    Why settle for the lesser evil? Cthulhu for president!
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Here, James Bond <wildblinker007@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > You are looking for the Cloak of Darkness site, which has a small
    > > sample game implemented in a whole lot of languages:
    > >
    > > <http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/>
    > >

    > Er, that page gives me a DNS error. "404!"--Strong Bad.

    It was working when I posted! Honest! Check it again tomorrow.

    --Z

    *
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    > It was working when I posted! Honest! Check it again tomorrow.

    Well, I just used Google's cash function to find it. Er, one question
    though. I notice that it doesn't have Glulx in the comparisons. Is that just
    because I've got an earlier version of the page, or because it never put
    Glulx into the comparison? If the latter, is there a place to compare Glulx
    with teh rest of the languages?

    _____

    Why settle for the lesser evil? Cthulhu for President!
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    On 2004-07-13, James Bond <wildblinker007@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> It was working when I posted! Honest! Check it again tomorrow.
    >>

    > Well, I just used Google's cash function to find it. Er, one question
    > though. I notice that it doesn't have Glulx in the comparisons. Is that just
    > because I've got an earlier version of the page, or because it never put
    > Glulx into the comparison? If the latter, is there a place to compare Glulx
    > with teh rest of the languages?

    Glulx is a different interpreter that runs Inform games. It's main
    difference is that it allows bigger games, and does graphics entirely
    differently. So you can pretty much take an Inform game and
    either compile it for the traditional Z-machine or compile it for Glulx.

    Joe
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Here, Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
    > Here, James Bond <wildblinker007@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > You are looking for the Cloak of Darkness site, which has a small
    > > > sample game implemented in a whole lot of languages:
    > > >
    > > > <http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/>
    > > >

    > > Er, that page gives me a DNS error. "404!"--Strong Bad.
    >
    > It was working when I posted! Honest! Check it again tomorrow.

    It's up again.

    --Z

    *

Games Video Games