Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

language comparison?

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 8:14:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I am a new ("aspiring?") author of IF. My quesiotn, simply, is tthus: is
there a "unbiased" comparison of the major writing languages (hugo, inform,
TADS, glulx) which I could quickly (or not so quickly!) read and determine
on my own which fits my needs best?

_____

Why settle for the lesser evil? Cthulhu for President!

More about : language comparison

Anonymous
July 13, 2004 4:30:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Here, James Bond <wildblinker007@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am a new ("aspiring?") author of IF. My quesiotn, simply, is tthus: is
> there a "unbiased" comparison of the major writing languages (hugo, inform,
> TADS, glulx) which I could quickly (or not so quickly!) read and determine
> on my own which fits my needs best?

You are looking for the Cloak of Darkness site, which has a small
sample game implemented in a whole lot of languages:

<http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/&gt;

--Z

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
* Make your vote count. Get your vote counted.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 4:30:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

"Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
news:ccvaeg$cev$1@reader2.panix.com...

> You are looking for the Cloak of Darkness site, which has a small
> sample game implemented in a whole lot of languages:
>
> <http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/&gt;
>
>

Er, that page gives me a DNS error. "404!"--Strong Bad. But, I will google
for it, and once I sort through all of the neogoth livejournals I will
(probably) rind it. So thanks anyways.

_____

Why settle for the lesser evil? Cthulhu for president!
Related resources
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 6:02:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Here, James Bond <wildblinker007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
> news:ccvaeg$cev$1@reader2.panix.com...
>
> > You are looking for the Cloak of Darkness site, which has a small
> > sample game implemented in a whole lot of languages:
> >
> > <http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/&gt;
> >
> >
>
> Er, that page gives me a DNS error. "404!"--Strong Bad.

It was working when I posted! Honest! Check it again tomorrow.

--Z

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
* Make your vote count. Get your vote counted.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 6:02:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

"Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
news:ccvfqr$ea9$1@reader2.panix.com...

> It was working when I posted! Honest! Check it again tomorrow.
>

Well, I just used Google's cash function to find it. Er, one question
though. I notice that it doesn't have Glulx in the comparisons. Is that just
because I've got an earlier version of the page, or because it never put
Glulx into the comparison? If the latter, is there a place to compare Glulx
with teh rest of the languages?

_____

Why settle for the lesser evil? Cthulhu for President!
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 6:52:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On 2004-07-13, James Bond <wildblinker007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
> news:ccvfqr$ea9$1@reader2.panix.com...
>
>> It was working when I posted! Honest! Check it again tomorrow.
>>
>
> Well, I just used Google's cash function to find it. Er, one question
> though. I notice that it doesn't have Glulx in the comparisons. Is that just
> because I've got an earlier version of the page, or because it never put
> Glulx into the comparison? If the latter, is there a place to compare Glulx
> with teh rest of the languages?

Glulx is a different interpreter that runs Inform games. It's main
difference is that it allows bigger games, and does graphics entirely
differently. So you can pretty much take an Inform game and
either compile it for the traditional Z-machine or compile it for Glulx.

Joe
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 8:56:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Here, Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
> Here, James Bond <wildblinker007@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message
> > news:ccvaeg$cev$1@reader2.panix.com...
> >
> > > You are looking for the Cloak of Darkness site, which has a small
> > > sample game implemented in a whole lot of languages:
> > >
> > > <http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/&gt;
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Er, that page gives me a DNS error. "404!"--Strong Bad.
>
> It was working when I posted! Honest! Check it again tomorrow.

It's up again.

--Z

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
* Make your vote count. Get your vote counted.
!