Replacement installation disk needed.

Here's the problem.

A couple of years ago I purchased a computer with Windows XP
pre-installed. I recently had a bad crash, and corrupted my hard drive.
The recovery disk does not work. I need an installation disk to
reinstall my system.Can I get one from somewhere?

As I understand it, if I go to a shop and buy a Win XP installation
disk, I'm really paying for the licence. The disk itself is a trivial
expense.
I have already paid for a licence for XP. But I don't have the disk
to install it. I don't want to have to buy a new copy and pay for a licence
which I already own.

Can I get a copy of the disk, and the key from somewhere?

I live in the UK, near London.

In news:_Izye.63360$G8.37091@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
Peter Morris <nosp@m.please> typed:

> Here's the problem.
>
> A couple of years ago I purchased a computer with Windows XP
> pre-installed. I recently had a bad crash, and corrupted my
> hard
> drive.
> The recovery disk does not work. I need an installation disk
> reinstall my system.Can I get one from somewhere?
>

> As I understand it, if I go to a shop and buy a Win XP
> installation
> disk, I'm really paying for the licence. The disk itself is a
> trivial
> expense.
> I have already paid for a licence for XP. But I don't have the
> disk
> to install it. I don't want to have to buy a new copy and pay
> for a
> licence which I already own.
>
> Can I get a copy of the disk, and the key from somewhere?

If you had a retail copy, you could contact Microsoft for a
replacement. But since your computer came with Windows, yours is
an OEM version. One of the disadvantages of an OEM version (and
one of the reasons it's cheaper than a retail version) is that
Microsoft doesn't support it and won't help you with a problem
like this. Your only recourse is with your OEM. I'm not
optimistic that they will help you, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Peter Morris" <nosp@m.please> wrote in message
> Here's the problem.
>
> A couple of years ago I purchased a computer with Windows XP
> pre-installed. I recently had a bad crash, and corrupted my hard drive.
> The recovery disk does not work. I need an installation disk to
> reinstall my system.Can I get one from somewhere?
>

> As I understand it, if I go to a shop and buy a Win XP installation
> disk, I'm really paying for the licence. The disk itself is a trivial
> expense.
> I have already paid for a licence for XP. But I don't have the disk
> to install it. I don't want to have to buy a new copy and pay for a
licence
> which I already own.
>
> Can I get a copy of the disk, and the key from somewhere?

> I live in the UK, near London.

I should add that I'm currently using a time-limited demo version of XP
which is incompatible with the driver for my sound card and some of the
software I want to use.

You will need to contact your computer manufacture, MS does not offer
support for OEM versions of software.
If by some chance you are talking about a retail version of XP then you can
get it replaced.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware:

Good Day
River Rat

"Peter Morris" <nosp@m.please> wrote in message
> Here's the problem.
>
> A couple of years ago I purchased a computer with Windows XP
> pre-installed. I recently had a bad crash, and corrupted my hard drive.
> The recovery disk does not work. I need an installation disk to
> reinstall my system.Can I get one from somewhere?
>

> As I understand it, if I go to a shop and buy a Win XP installation
> disk, I'm really paying for the licence. The disk itself is a trivial
> expense.
> I have already paid for a licence for XP. But I don't have the disk
> to install it. I don't want to have to buy a new copy and pay for a
licence
> which I already own.
>
> Can I get a copy of the disk, and the key from somewhere?

> I live in the UK, near London.

I should add that I'm currently using a time-limited demo version of XP
which is incompatible with the driver for my sound card and some of the
software I want to use.

I suspect MS will refer you to your supplier because support for OEM
versions of Windows is provided by the OEM not Microsoft. However you can
always try...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q218617/

Obtaining a Replacement Disc
<snip> to obtain a replacement disc call the Microsoft Order Desk at (800)
360-7561 and request a replacement for your damaged disc. If you are outside
the United States, contact the Microsoft subsidiary for your area. To locate
your subsidiary, see the Microsoft World Wide Offices Web page at:
http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/

dl

Why does recovery disk not work?
What err msgs?

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> Why does recovery disk not work?
> What err msgs?

It asks me to insert master CD 1

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Peter Morris wrote:

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
>
>>Why does recovery disk not work?
>>What err msgs?
>

> It asks me to insert master CD 1

You might want to contact the tech support for the computer manufacturer
and ask them about their recovery CD and how it works.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

First try contacting the vendor where you purchased the PC from. If they
can't provide you with one, they should at least point you to who can help.

"Peter Morris" <nosp@m.please> wrote in message
> Here's the problem.
>
> A couple of years ago I purchased a computer with Windows XP
> pre-installed. I recently had a bad crash, and corrupted my hard drive.
> The recovery disk does not work. I need an installation disk to
> reinstall my system.Can I get one from somewhere?
>

> As I understand it, if I go to a shop and buy a Win XP installation
> disk, I'm really paying for the licence. The disk itself is a trivial
> expense.
> I have already paid for a licence for XP. But I don't have the disk
> to install it. I don't want to have to buy a new copy and pay for a
> licence
> which I already own.
>
> Can I get a copy of the disk, and the key from somewhere?
>
> I live in the UK, near London.

Quest

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2004

Replacing OEM versions of Windows XP. You have to contact your OEM. If
it is a company that sells Reinstallation Disks like Sony, HP, Compaq,
E-machine all you are going to get is a disk to reinstall your computer
back to factory defaults and they may charge you for it. A dell
computer ships with a full version of windows xp if your disk is
scratched or damaged you can get a replace cd-rom if yours is damaged
and your computer is still within warranty.

Check the Replacement Media Policy for your computer manufactorer. Who
made your system.

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in news:eGw
$tHagFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl: