Sign in with
Your question

Matshita dvd

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 9, 2009 2:14:33 PM

Hi all i am new here so please could someone help me with a problem?
I have an Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop & having problems with the Matshita uj845 dvd drive.
When I put a cd with files on it in my laptop it comes up blank showing nothing on it :( 
It's ok with audio cd's but not with writable cd's.
Any help would be most welcome.

More about : matshita dvd

a b D Laptop
April 9, 2009 2:33:30 PM

Are you sure those CDs ar burned correctly? Can you use a manufacturer-made cd?
April 9, 2009 3:13:38 PM

Hi frozenlead
if i put it into another computer it shows them and it used to show them ok but now it doesn't, wierd eh?
Related resources
a b D Laptop
April 9, 2009 4:05:43 PM

When it doesn't work, you can't technically fix it, and you have no idea what's wrong - clean it.

Give the lens a good cleaning with a q-tip and alcohol, and make sure there's no dust in the drive or its interface.

How did you get the notebook drive to run in another computer? Did you have a similar notebook?
April 9, 2009 6:51:07 PM

Sorry I forgot to say that I put the cd in another laptop. I think it might be a problem inserting a q-tip into the drive as it's a slot drive. Do you think it might be a driver issue?
a b D Laptop
April 10, 2009 12:48:25 AM

If it didn't work over two computers, it's probably not a driver you're worrying about.
April 10, 2009 10:03:56 AM

that's the problem It did work on another laptop.
a b D Laptop
April 10, 2009 5:08:38 PM

I misunderstood you, then.

Can you try installing linux on your machine (on a seperate partition) or on a flash drive to see if that recognizes discs? We need to find out if your hardware or your software is the issue.
April 11, 2009 11:10:07 AM

I have 1.69GB left on a flash would that be enough? If so how do I install Linux?
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2009 3:25:57 PM

I'm not sure if that's enough, take a look at Linux's requirements.

I'd recommend an Ubuntu Live CD. It's really quite easy to use.
!