xfrotz and Beyond Zork

Does anyone know how to get xfrotz to work with Beyond Zork in Linux? I
can get the basics of the game to work, but the "graphical font" never
comes up right. I think xfrotz is supposed to show that correctly, but I
get ASCII chars that are very reminiscent of Rogue or Nethack instead of
the little box and line chars that I've seen in Windows Frotz. Also, I
don't get the opening graphics screen. I have a beyondzo.fon file as
well, but I can't see how to get xfrotz to do anything with it. xfrotz
claims to come with fonts for both Beyond Zork and Journey, so I'm not
sure if the .fon file is even necessary.

Does xfrotz work to the degree I'm expecting with Beyond Zork?

On a similar front, is the maintainer of xfrotz still hanging around the
IF community? I sent him an email (just yesterday) and haven't heard from
him. The email address looks to be from 4 years ago, but it didn't bounce
back. I'm working primarily in Linux now, and might be able to get it up
to the 2.43 frotz core.

Rick Reynolds

Rick Reynolds <rick@_unneeded_rickandviv.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get xfrotz to work with Beyond Zork in Linux? I
> can get the basics of the game to work, but the "graphical font" never
> comes up right. I think xfrotz is supposed to show that correctly, but I
> get ASCII chars that are very reminiscent of Rogue or Nethack instead of
> the little box and line chars that I've seen in Windows Frotz. Also, I
> don't get the opening graphics screen. I have a beyondzo.fon file as
> well, but I can't see how to get xfrotz to do anything with it. xfrotz
> claims to come with fonts for both Beyond Zork and Journey, so I'm not
> sure if the .fon file is even necessary.

> Does xfrotz work to the degree I'm expecting with Beyond Zork?

> On a similar front, is the maintainer of xfrotz still hanging around the
> IF community? I sent him an email (just yesterday) and haven't heard from
> him. The email address looks to be from 4 years ago, but it didn't bounce
> back. I'm working primarily in Linux now, and might be able to get it up
> to the 2.43 frotz core.

I've managed to fold in the xfrotz frontend into what will become Frotz
2.44. There are some annoying Makefile problems still to be addressed and
I reeeeeely want to get Blorb working correctly too before releasing 2.44.

--
David Griffith

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:23:02 +0000, dgriffi wrote:

> Rick Reynolds <rick@_unneeded_rickandviv.net> wrote:
>> On a similar front, is the maintainer of xfrotz still hanging around the
>> IF community? I sent him an email (just yesterday) and haven't heard from
>> him. The email address looks to be from 4 years ago, but it didn't bounce
>> back. I'm working primarily in Linux now, and might be able to get it up
>> to the 2.43 frotz core.
>
> I've managed to fold in the xfrotz frontend into what will become Frotz
> 2.44. There are some annoying Makefile problems still to be addressed and
> I reeeeeely want to get Blorb working correctly too before releasing 2.44.

OK. That sounds very good.

Rick

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:46:53 -0400, Rick Reynolds wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:23:02 +0000, dgriffi wrote:
>
>> Rick Reynolds <rick@_unneeded_rickandviv.net> wrote:
>>> On a similar front, is the maintainer of xfrotz still hanging around the
>>> IF community? I sent him an email (just yesterday) and haven't heard from
>>> him. The email address looks to be from 4 years ago, but it didn't bounce
>>> back. I'm working primarily in Linux now, and might be able to get it up
>>> to the 2.43 frotz core.
>>
>> I've managed to fold in the xfrotz frontend into what will become Frotz
>> 2.44. There are some annoying Makefile problems still to be addressed and
>> I reeeeeely want to get Blorb working correctly too before releasing 2.44.

Well, since the topic is here...

Does your work-in-progress frotz that has the X frontend handle BeyondZork
in the way I'm expecting? If so, then that tells me I should be able to
get the current xfrotz working correctly if I keep at it (maybe). If not,
then I can quit trying to get it looking "just right" and can wait for
2.44 and hopefully some improvements in this area.

Rick

Rick Reynolds <rick@_unneeded_rickandviv.net> wrote:

> Well, since the topic is here...

> Does your work-in-progress frotz that has the X frontend handle BeyondZork
> in the way I'm expecting? If so, then that tells me I should be able to
> get the current xfrotz working correctly if I keep at it (maybe). If not,
> then I can quit trying to get it looking "just right" and can wait for
> 2.44 and hopefully some improvements in this area.

Much of the work involved in folding the xfrotz frontend into the current
core was getting rid of odd problems like the ones your describe.

--
David Griffith

Rick Reynolds <rick@_UNNEEDED_rickandviv.net> writes:

> On a similar front, is the maintainer of xfrotz still hanging around the
> IF community? I sent him an email (just yesterday) and haven't heard from
> him. The email address looks to be from 4 years ago, but it didn't bounce
> back. I'm working primarily in Linux now, and might be able to get it up
> to the 2.43 frotz core.

I'm still around, though I haven't really had much free time lately to
work on xfrotz. And the free time I do have, I'd rather spend playing
new games than doing a complete overhaul of aging code (which is what
it would take by this point). Especially now that I hear David Kinder
has been working on updating it himself.

I didn't get your email, BTW.

As far as the fonts go, the xfrotz distribution included a bdf version
of the Beyond Zork font in a few sizes, which the installation process
should have converted to pcf and installed into the system
directories. I'm not sure what might have gone wrong.
--
Daniel Schepler "Please don't disillusion me. I
schepler@math.berkeley.edu haven't had breakfast yet."

Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Rick Reynolds <rick@_UNNEEDED_rickandviv.net> writes:

>> On a similar front, is the maintainer of xfrotz still hanging around the
>> IF community? I sent him an email (just yesterday) and haven't heard from
>> him. The email address looks to be from 4 years ago, but it didn't bounce
>> back. I'm working primarily in Linux now, and might be able to get it up
>> to the 2.43 frotz core.

> I'm still around, though I haven't really had much free time lately to
> work on xfrotz. And the free time I do have, I'd rather spend playing
> new games than doing a complete overhaul of aging code (which is what
> it would take by this point). Especially now that I hear David Kinder
> has been working on updating it himself.

I think you mean me. I'm David Griffith. David Kinder is the one who
handles the Windows port. I have a number of questions for you regarding
the xfrotz interface. Please check your email.

--
David Griffith