File and folder proplems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotu308

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Yeah i had my pictures fold on windows xp before upgrading to windows 7 encrypted and in the windows.old folder i took my pictures from that folder and now when i try to see them it says i dont have the correct permissions and i am at a loss on what to do cause when i try to un encypt them it says error and wont allow me to do the pictures...any help will be great

Here is a pic of the error

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2387/errorpicb.jpg

If you did in fact use EFS, didn't back up the keys (very stupid thing to do BTW), and now can't find them, then yes, the data is gone for good. There are no back doors in EFS.

Now, there is the possibility that it's just a permissions problem. Have you tried taking ownership of the folders/files in question?

I missed it earlier that you say you still have "windows.old". There <may> still be one chance to recover the certificates. Look in "windows.old\Documents and Settings\<oldusername>\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates" (you may need to show hidden/system files)

If there are any files in there copy them (in multiple, for safety) to a thumb drive, then try following the import directions given at the second link I gave.

That's really the last gasp. If this doesn't work then kiss those files goodby.

Status
Not open for further replies.