Bin

Is there a tool on windows or one availible for free that converts .bin files
to windows?
20 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    In news:7D8B4008-C410-4EA2-B371-1CC473789353@microsoft.com,
    Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Is there a tool on windows or one availible for free that
    > converts
    > .bin files to windows?

    First of all, note that a .bin file isn't a consistent file type
    like .doc, .xls, .exe, .txt, .jpg, etc. The "bin" just stands for
    "binary," and many different types of files are given this
    "binary" extension. So there's never an answer to a question
    about how to use a .bin file unless you can provide specifics
    about exactly what kind of a file it is.

    Secondly, I don't understand what you mean by converting it "to
    windows." You can sometimes convert a file type to another
    compatible file type, but you can't convert a file type to an
    operating system.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Is there a tool on windows or one availible for free that converts
    > .bin files to windows?

    ISO Buster has the ability to open .bin files. I'm not sure what you can do
    with the free version as I paid for that one a long time ago. It's available
    in a free form that you can use.

    www.isobuster.com

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    I have downloaded a program called BinHex.bin and I need to run it on
    windows. I assume that means converting it to exe. How would I convert it?

    sorry, ment to type shl not sit

    Black Shadow wrote:
    > I have downloaded a program called BinHex.bin and I need to run it on
    > windows. I assume that means converting it to exe. How would I convert it?

    If you are referring to the binhex.bin that is designed to convert Macintosh
    binary files to encrypted text representations of the file, that program can
    not be converted to run on Windows. There are some PC based versions that
    are compatible with the Macintosh version of binhex. The following links
    may be helpful:

    http://www.natural-innovations.com/binhex/pcbinhex.html
    http://www.winzip.com/uuencode.htm
    http://www.mug.jhmi.edu/mirrors/InfoAlley/binhex.html
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Doesn't binhex also decompress hqx files into macbinarys? See I have an hqx
    file which I need to get converted. If I had a .bin converter I could change
    the hqx file to a .bin file with binhex, and then convert the .bin file with
    the .bin convertor. That is why I need the convertor.

    Black Shadow wrote:

    > sorry, ment to type shl not sit

    Either way, it doesn't matter. Those are Mac programs and unless the
    application has specifically been ported to Windows, it won't run. As
    you were told, you can't convert a Mac executable to a Windows one.
    Contact the maker of the program that interests you and see if s/he has
    ported it to Windows. If it is a program that would meet very specific
    needs, perhaps the creator would consider porting it for you.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Black Shadow wrote:
    > Doesn't binhex also decompress hqx files into macbinarys? See I have an hqx
    > file which I need to get converted. If I had a .bin converter I could change
    > the hqx file to a .bin file with binhex, and then convert the .bin file with
    > the .bin convertor. That is why I need the convertor.

    Yes it does. You asked specifically about converting binhex.bin to run on
    Windows. That cannot be done. Rather you would need to use a program that
    was specifically written for Windows that has similar functionality to the
    Mac program. So I gave you a set of links to programs that have similar
    functionality to the Mac binhex. There is nothing you can do to convert a
    Mac binary file to allow it to run on Windows. You would need a version of
    the file specifically written for Windows.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    The first link had something free which converted the hqx to sit. So how
    would I convert the sit?

    I have a proram that can run on windows but is missing a dll. When I went to
    the website of the application they acknowledge that there was a mistake and
    they have a link to the missing file but it is binhexed. So there has to be
    some way to convert it to the dll.

    Black Shadow wrote:

    > I have a proram that can run on windows but is missing a dll. When I went to
    > the website of the application they acknowledge that there was a mistake and
    > they have a link to the missing file but it is binhexed. So there has to be
    > some way to convert it to the dll.

    Maybe ask the program vendor?

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I thought of that but they only except e-mails from people who bought one of
    thier products, I got a free one so support doen't come with it

    In news:A269C3B5-C6B7-4AC1-9064-CB6E908452A1@microsoft.com,
    Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I thought of that but they only except e-mails from people who
    > bought
    > one of thier products, I got a free one so support doen't come
    > with it

    You thought of what? Please quote the message you're responding
    to (as I did here) so we can understand what you're trying to
    say.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.

    In news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com,
    Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.

    If you don't quote the message you're responding to, many of us
    will have no idea who you're replying to, or what you're talking
    about.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I response to David Candy, I don't think it is very hard to do a little
    inference, but I didn't exactly know what ken ment by quote so I just said
    which post I was talking about. I personally think it is really annoying to
    have the exact message that is right above yours in your own message so I
    tried to do a common curtisy for people. I figured out what you ment by quote
    so here I am doing it from know on. I would appriciate never having you post
    on any of my questions or comments ever again, I don't need to hear from
    jerks like you even if you might have some information!

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com,
    > Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    > > I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.
    >

    > If you don't quote the message you're responding to, many of us
    > will have no idea who you're replying to, or what you're talking
    > about.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Alladin

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    In news:F8AEDF8E-F4A8-4CAE-BD2A-CCC5659E564C@microsoft.com,
    Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I response to David Candy, I don't think it is very hard to do
    > little inference, but I didn't exactly know what ken ment by
    > quote so
    > I just said which post I was talking about. I personally think
    > it is
    > really annoying to have the exact message that is right above
    > yours
    > in your own message

    You're reading this newsgroup on a web site, using Microsoft's
    CDO interface. You may not even realize that it's a newsgroup,
    and that most of us don't read it the way you do, but with a
    newsreader (I use Outlook Express) instead of on a web site.

    I recommend that you do yourself a favor and switch to a
    newsreader, such as Outlook Express, which comes with Windows. It
    will make the newsgroup experience much easier for you.
    See http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

    When you use a newsreader, whether or not you see already-read
    messages is optional, and many, perhaps even most, of us, hide
    already-read messages, so as not to clutter up the screen with
    messages to which we have no intention of replying. So a reply
    without a quote of what's come before is usually incomprehensible
    to those many or most of us.

    > so I tried to do a common curtisy for people. I
    > figured out what you ment by quote so here I am doing it from
    > know
    > on.

    Great, and thank you.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > I would appriciate never having you post on any of my questions
    > or comments ever again, I don't need to hear from jerks like
    > you even
    > if you might have some information!
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com,
    >> Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.
    >>

    >> If you don't quote the message you're responding to, many of
    >> us
    >> will have no idea who you're replying to, or what you're
    >> talking
    >> about.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi Black. You have really given a very good reson why many of us prefer Top
    posting. But it does help to have the text you are responding to included
    in your replys. If there is something we don't understand all we need do is
    look below.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Black Shadow" <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I response to David Candy, I don't think it is very hard to do a little
    > inference, but I didn't exactly know what ken ment by quote so I just said
    > which post I was talking about. I personally think it is really annoying
    > have the exact message that is right above yours in your own message so I
    > tried to do a common curtisy for people. I figured out what you ment by
    quote
    > so here I am doing it from know on. I would appriciate never having you
    post
    > on any of my questions or comments ever again, I don't need to hear from
    > jerks like you even if you might have some information!
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    > > In news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com,
    > > Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > >
    > > > I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.
    > >

    > > If you don't quote the message you're responding to, many of us
    > > will have no idea who you're replying to, or what you're talking
    > > about.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the newsgroup

    If you don't want to quote then don't post here. You were asked and have wilfully refused to quote.

    I found the answer in under 5 seconds. I was going to answer yesterday but couldn't be bothered checking my facts. I just did but you no longer qualify for help.
    "Black Shadow" <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com...
    >I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.

Microsoft Windows XP