Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bin

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:36:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Is there a tool on windows or one availible for free that converts .bin files
to windows?

More about : bin

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:33:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:7D8B4008-C410-4EA2-B371-1CC473789353@microsoft.com,
Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Is there a tool on windows or one availible for free that
> converts
> .bin files to windows?


First of all, note that a .bin file isn't a consistent file type
like .doc, .xls, .exe, .txt, .jpg, etc. The "bin" just stands for
"binary," and many different types of files are given this
"binary" extension. So there's never an answer to a question
about how to use a .bin file unless you can provide specifics
about exactly what kind of a file it is.

Secondly, I don't understand what you mean by converting it "to
windows." You can sometimes convert a file type to another
compatible file type, but you can't convert a file type to an
operating system.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
July 5, 2005 8:36:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:7D8B4008-C410-4EA2-B371-1CC473789353@microsoft.com,
Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> Is there a tool on windows or one availible for free that converts
> .bin files to windows?

ISO Buster has the ability to open .bin files. I'm not sure what you can do
with the free version as I paid for that one a long time ago. It's available
in a free form that you can use.

www.isobuster.com

Galen
--

"But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Related resources
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:01:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have downloaded a program called BinHex.bin and I need to run it on
windows. I assume that means converting it to exe. How would I convert it?
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:12:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

sorry, ment to type shl not sit
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:16:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Black Shadow wrote:
> I have downloaded a program called BinHex.bin and I need to run it on
> windows. I assume that means converting it to exe. How would I convert it?

If you are referring to the binhex.bin that is designed to convert Macintosh
binary files to encrypted text representations of the file, that program can
not be converted to run on Windows. There are some PC based versions that
are compatible with the Macintosh version of binhex. The following links
may be helpful:

http://www.natural-innovations.com/binhex/pcbinhex.html
http://www.winzip.com/uuencode.htm
http://www.mug.jhmi.edu/mirrors/InfoAlley/binhex.html
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows
http://support.telop.org

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:16:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Doesn't binhex also decompress hqx files into macbinarys? See I have an hqx
file which I need to get converted. If I had a .bin converter I could change
the hqx file to a .bin file with binhex, and then convert the .bin file with
the .bin convertor. That is why I need the convertor.
July 6, 2005 4:43:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Black Shadow wrote:

> sorry, ment to type shl not sit

Either way, it doesn't matter. Those are Mac programs and unless the
application has specifically been ported to Windows, it won't run. As
you were told, you can't convert a Mac executable to a Windows one.
Contact the maker of the program that interests you and see if s/he has
ported it to Windows. If it is a program that would meet very specific
needs, perhaps the creator would consider porting it for you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:53:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Black Shadow wrote:
> Doesn't binhex also decompress hqx files into macbinarys? See I have an hqx
> file which I need to get converted. If I had a .bin converter I could change
> the hqx file to a .bin file with binhex, and then convert the .bin file with
> the .bin convertor. That is why I need the convertor.

Yes it does. You asked specifically about converting binhex.bin to run on
Windows. That cannot be done. Rather you would need to use a program that
was specifically written for Windows that has similar functionality to the
Mac program. So I gave you a set of links to programs that have similar
functionality to the Mac binhex. There is nothing you can do to convert a
Mac binary file to allow it to run on Windows. You would need a version of
the file specifically written for Windows.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows
http://support.telop.org

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:53:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The first link had something free which converted the hqx to sit. So how
would I convert the sit?
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 6:36:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a proram that can run on windows but is missing a dll. When I went to
the website of the application they acknowledge that there was a mistake and
they have a link to the missing file but it is binhexed. So there has to be
some way to convert it to the dll.
July 6, 2005 7:37:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Black Shadow wrote:

> I have a proram that can run on windows but is missing a dll. When I went to
> the website of the application they acknowledge that there was a mistake and
> they have a link to the missing file but it is binhexed. So there has to be
> some way to convert it to the dll.

Maybe ask the program vendor?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:31:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I thought of that but they only except e-mails from people who bought one of
thier products, I got a free one so support doen't come with it
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:50:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:A269C3B5-C6B7-4AC1-9064-CB6E908452A1@microsoft.com,
Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I thought of that but they only except e-mails from people who
> bought
> one of thier products, I got a free one so support doen't come
> with it



You thought of what? Please quote the message you're responding
to (as I did here) so we can understand what you're trying to
say.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:41:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 2:21:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com,
Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.



If you don't quote the message you're responding to, many of us
will have no idea who you're replying to, or what you're talking
about.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:00:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I response to David Candy, I don't think it is very hard to do a little
inference, but I didn't exactly know what ken ment by quote so I just said
which post I was talking about. I personally think it is really annoying to
have the exact message that is right above yours in your own message so I
tried to do a common curtisy for people. I figured out what you ment by quote
so here I am doing it from know on. I would appriciate never having you post
on any of my questions or comments ever again, I don't need to hear from
jerks like you even if you might have some information!

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com,
> Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.
>
>
>
> If you don't quote the message you're responding to, many of us
> will have no idea who you're replying to, or what you're talking
> about.
>
> --
> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:02:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alladin

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Black Shadow" <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4D17D317-49CC-41D9-A439-BE44A781A622@microsoft.com...
> The first link had something free which converted the hqx to sit. So how
> would I convert the sit?
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:32:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:F8AEDF8E-F4A8-4CAE-BD2A-CCC5659E564C@microsoft.com,
Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I response to David Candy, I don't think it is very hard to do
> a
> little inference, but I didn't exactly know what ken ment by
> quote so
> I just said which post I was talking about. I personally think
> it is
> really annoying to have the exact message that is right above
> yours
> in your own message


You're reading this newsgroup on a web site, using Microsoft's
CDO interface. You may not even realize that it's a newsgroup,
and that most of us don't read it the way you do, but with a
newsreader (I use Outlook Express) instead of on a web site.

I recommend that you do yourself a favor and switch to a
newsreader, such as Outlook Express, which comes with Windows. It
will make the newsgroup experience much easier for you.
See http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...

When you use a newsreader, whether or not you see already-read
messages is optional, and many, perhaps even most, of us, hide
already-read messages, so as not to clutter up the screen with
messages to which we have no intention of replying. So a reply
without a quote of what's come before is usually incomprehensible
to those many or most of us.



> so I tried to do a common curtisy for people. I
> figured out what you ment by quote so here I am doing it from
> know
> on.

Great, and thank you.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup


> I would appriciate never having you post on any of my questions
> or comments ever again, I don't need to hear from jerks like
> you even
> if you might have some information!
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com,
>> Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.
>>
>>
>>
>> If you don't quote the message you're responding to, many of
>> us
>> will have no idea who you're replying to, or what you're
>> talking
>> about.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:58:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Black. You have really given a very good reson why many of us prefer Top
posting. But it does help to have the text you are responding to included
in your replys. If there is something we don't understand all we need do is
look below.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Black Shadow" <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F8AEDF8E-F4A8-4CAE-BD2A-CCC5659E564C@microsoft.com...
> I response to David Candy, I don't think it is very hard to do a little
> inference, but I didn't exactly know what ken ment by quote so I just said
> which post I was talking about. I personally think it is really annoying
to
> have the exact message that is right above yours in your own message so I
> tried to do a common curtisy for people. I figured out what you ment by
quote
> so here I am doing it from know on. I would appriciate never having you
post
> on any of my questions or comments ever again, I don't need to hear from
> jerks like you even if you might have some information!
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
> > In news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com,
> > Black Shadow <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> >
> > > I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.
> >
> >
> >
> > If you don't quote the message you're responding to, many of us
> > will have no idea who you're replying to, or what you're talking
> > about.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> > Please reply to the newsgroup
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:52:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you don't want to quote then don't post here. You were asked and have wilfully refused to quote.

I found the answer in under 5 seconds. I was going to answer yesterday but couldn't be bothered checking my facts. I just did but you no longer qualify for help.
--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Black Shadow" <BlackShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3EA3A82-A319-459F-8E46-AEEC0BE5833C@microsoft.com...
>I was responding to Rock's post in my last post.
!