Return To Ditch Day -- stuck

I'm pretty much stuck on the mainquest in the _Return To The Ditch Day_.

[SPOLIER SPACE]

[SPOILERS - SPOILERS - SPOILERS]

Okay, so now I've got the calculator and I know that I need to get it
programmed so that I'll be able to calculate that Hovarth number. I've
read the newspaper and went to the calculator-programming guru. Then I
asked him to program the calculator, but he refused:

>give jay calculator
“Do you think you could program a Hovarth function on my calculator?”
you ask.

“Dude, there's no point,” he says. “Unless you have, oh, about ten to
the fortieth years to wait for the answer.”

There's what looks like a tip also when I ask him about quantum computing:

>ask him about quantum computing
“Do you know anything about quantum computing?” you ask.

“Not much,” he says. “Sounds way cool, though. I've been looking for
some good reading material about it.”

But when I try to give him _Quantum Review Letters_:

>give him quantum review letters

(first putting the Introductory Quantum Physics textbook in the tote bag
to make room, then taking Quantum Review Letters number 70:11c from the
tote bag)
He gets distracted looking at something on the map for a moment, and
ignores what you were saying.

(The same goes with other quantum physics books. In fact, I even tried
"give all to Jay". No effect.)

So, the question is: what am I missing and how do I persuade him? Thanks
in advance.

"Vladimir Korablin" <vkorablin@msx.ru> wrote:

> [SPOLIER SPACE]
>

> [SPOILERS - SPOILERS - SPOILERS]

> There's what looks like a tip also when I ask him about quantum
> computing: "...I've been looking for some good reading material..."

You're on the right track with that.

> But when I try to give him _Quantum Review Letters_:
> >give him quantum review letters
> (...then taking Quantum Review Letters number 70:11c from the
> tote bag)
> He gets distracted looking at something on the map for a moment,
> and ignores what you were saying.

Okay, that's a reasonable thing to try; I really should make Jay say
something more helpful there (I'll make a note of that for version 2). What
Jay should be telling you is something like this: That's an interesting
article, but it's just a lot of abstract theory - I'd really like to read
something more concrete about how to actually build a quantum computer.

Does that help at all? I can be more specific if not.

--Mike
mjr underscore at hotmail dot com

Mike Roberts wrote:
> "Vladimir Korablin" <vkorablin@msx.ru> wrote:
>

>>[SPOILER SPACE]
>>

>>[SPOILERS - SPOILERS - SPOILERS]

> Jay should be telling you is something like this: That's an interesting
> article, but it's just a lot of abstract theory - I'd really like to read
> something more concrete about how to actually build a quantum computer.
>
> Does that help at all? I can be more specific if not.

Yes, that helped. Forced me to go back to the library and to discover
that I forgot to fetch _Science & Progress_ there last time. This turned
to be my fault after all. :)

Vladimir Korablin <vkorablin@msx.ru> wrote in message news:<cdk7v8$2266$1@serv3.vsi.ru>...
> I'm pretty much stuck on the mainquest in the _Return To The Ditch Day_.
>

> [SPOLIER SPACE]
>

> [SPOILERS - SPOILERS - SPOILERS]

> Okay, so now I've got the calculator and I know that I need to get it
> programmed so that I'll be able to calculate that Hovarth number. I've
> read the newspaper and went to the calculator-programming guru.

I can not find this Jay person that the newspaper speaks of. Where
should I be snooping?

TRENDING THREADS