Tags:
  • Computers
  • System Restore
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
September 5, 2012 1:20:15 AM

Hi,

This is my first post/thread on TH :) 

Anyways, I Just recently bought a laptop for HS, about half a month old. Everything Ran fine :) , Until My computer decided to not work anymore.

I did a system restore from a repair disk and fixed, the only catch, norton reinstalled. I had uninstalled norton and when I did a system restore, the program probably sent it's server a "scam" alert as the program didn't respond after, So I had to uninstall it manually, removing the files and all the registry entres.

Now, week later, I notice that my computer is downloading EPICALLY slow. My speed is 11mbs, on my alternate computer, it will download a 11 mb file in less then a second, but on the laptop, 25 minutes? No way is that possible.

I did some registry scans, with wisecare 365, fixed the registry and download time has come down to 13 seconds, which is still crazy long -__-

any tips hints guys? thanks I really appreciate it :) .

btw

Amd A6-4400
6 gigs ram
64bit

I believe thats all You need to know, thanks again ;)  :) 

More about : internet download speed slow computer

September 5, 2012 9:05:03 AM

Well really old machines might not be able to write 11mb to the disk in a second, but since you're saying that your laptop is half a month old, I really don't know what the problem is. It could dpend on the server you are downloading from; perhaps a certain port isn't open on your laptop. Change your firewall or router settings on that machine and see if that helps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 10:00:28 AM

11 megabyte in less than a second would be really fast! How is you Laptop connected to the internet? With a wireless connection the 13 seconds sounds reasonable.
m
l
September 5, 2012 10:14:48 AM

Yeah, it looks like OP is confusing MBytes with Mbits.
11MB file in one second - that's about 100Mbit/s, so if that's true maybe your wireless device just can't handle such a bandwidth?
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:30:50 AM

Hmm, well My desktop, 2 years old downloads in 1-2 seconds, usually less.

I just did a whole registry cleanup, and the time has dropped considerably, to 4-5 seconds.

Still Kind Of slow, I guess this was a registry related problem.

Oh and I use a wireless N router, 300 mbit max and using the laptop wirelessly
m
l
September 6, 2012 9:42:30 AM

With wireless N and one wall between laptop and router you get about 50Mbps, so your results are normal. Registry cleanup did the job.
m
l
September 6, 2012 11:00:44 AM

rogr that. Thanks Though Guys
m
l
!