ai and interactive fiction

hi,
i'm a researcher (not in computer science) that has a need to study
artificial intelligence languages (such as lips and prolog). at the
same time, i would like to start a hobby of writing interactive
fiction. considering the above, what language (tads or inform) would
be better suited to derive some useful educative experience in the
field of AI? any of these languages would be helpful in any way for my
AI-related studies?
3 answers Last reply
More about interactive fiction
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    If you have a need to study Lisp and Prolog specifically, and want to
    understand them better while creating IF, you might look at this that book
    goes through how to implement Crowther and Woods' Adventure in Prolog:

    http://www.cs.ccu.edu.tw/~dan/advinpro/

    Or this small sample adventure game, Sleepy, in Prolog:

    http://www.csc.vill.edu/~dmatusze/resources/prolog/sleepy.html

    An amusing tutorial in Scheme (a Lisp dialect) is Andrew Plotkin's Lists
    and Lists, written in Inform:

    http://www.wurb.com/if/game/128

    Prolog and Lisp are not as well-suited to creating IF when compared to
    TADS and Inform, but studying them probably would help to make
    higher-order programming and the relationship of logic to classical AI
    more clear.

    I'm not sure what could really be said for the virtues of independent
    study of TADS or Inform, in terms of learning about AI. They could, of
    course, be used (like any other programming language) for exercises or
    examples in some book or course about AI, but they haven't been, as far as
    I know.

    -Nick Montfort <mail> nickm <web> http://nickm.com
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Deb wrote:

    > hi,
    > i'm a researcher (not in computer science) that has a need to study
    > artificial intelligence languages (such as lips and prolog). at the
    > same time, i would like to start a hobby of writing interactive
    > fiction. considering the above, what language (tads or inform) would
    > be better suited to derive some useful educative experience in the
    > field of AI? any of these languages would be helpful in any way for my
    > AI-related studies?

    Sadly, I'd say mostly not. In _themselves_ Inform and Tads have very
    little to do with any field of AI (besides human language recognition,
    but even that, I dunno). Of course you can use then to implement most
    everything you want, hence, even an AI exercise; but in that case I'd
    advise you to use directly a better suited language...

    ciao
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    "Deb" <green4231@yahoo.se> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > i'm a researcher (not in computer science) that has a need to study
    > artificial intelligence languages (such as lips and prolog). at the
    > same time, i would like to start a hobby of writing interactive
    > fiction. considering the above, what language (tads or inform) would
    > be better suited to derive some useful educative experience in the
    > field of AI? any of these languages would be helpful in any way for my
    > AI-related studies?

    The Prolog tutorial, http://www.amzi.com/AdventureInProlog/index.htm, uses
    an IF game as a teaching example.

    There is a beta version of an IF toolkit that uses logic programming and
    Prolog definite clause grammar (DCG) for developing game logic. The
    documentation and download for it are available at:
    http://www.ainewsletter.com/downloads/index.htm

    Any comments are appreciated.

    Dennis

Computers Games Video Games