ai and interactive fiction

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 22, 2004 2:24:16 PM

hi,
i'm a researcher (not in computer science) that has a need to study
artificial intelligence languages (such as lips and prolog). at the
same time, i would like to start a hobby of writing interactive
fiction. considering the above, what language (tads or inform) would
be better suited to derive some useful educative experience in the
field of AI? any of these languages would be helpful in any way for my
AI-related studies?

More about : interactive fiction

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 6:45:42 PM

If you have a need to study Lisp and Prolog specifically, and want to
understand them better while creating IF, you might look at this that book
goes through how to implement Crowther and Woods' Adventure in Prolog:

http://www.cs.ccu.edu.tw/~dan/advinpro/

Or this small sample adventure game, Sleepy, in Prolog:

http://www.csc.vill.edu/~dmatusze/resources/prolog/slee...

An amusing tutorial in Scheme (a Lisp dialect) is Andrew Plotkin's Lists
and Lists, written in Inform:

http://www.wurb.com/if/game/128

Prolog and Lisp are not as well-suited to creating IF when compared to
TADS and Inform, but studying them probably would help to make
higher-order programming and the relationship of logic to classical AI
more clear.

I'm not sure what could really be said for the virtues of independent
study of TADS or Inform, in terms of learning about AI. They could, of
course, be used (like any other programming language) for exercises or
examples in some book or course about AI, but they haven't been, as far as
I know.

-Nick Montfort <mail> nickm <web> http://nickm.com
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 6:41:15 AM

Deb wrote:

> hi,
> i'm a researcher (not in computer science) that has a need to study
> artificial intelligence languages (such as lips and prolog). at the
> same time, i would like to start a hobby of writing interactive
> fiction. considering the above, what language (tads or inform) would
> be better suited to derive some useful educative experience in the
> field of AI? any of these languages would be helpful in any way for my
> AI-related studies?

Sadly, I'd say mostly not. In _themselves_ Inform and Tads have very
little to do with any field of AI (besides human language recognition,
but even that, I dunno). Of course you can use then to implement most
everything you want, hence, even an AI exercise; but in that case I'd
advise you to use directly a better suited language...

ciao
August 30, 2004 2:43:12 AM

"Deb" <green4231@yahoo.se> wrote in message
> hi,
> i'm a researcher (not in computer science) that has a need to study
> artificial intelligence languages (such as lips and prolog). at the
> same time, i would like to start a hobby of writing interactive
> fiction. considering the above, what language (tads or inform) would
> be better suited to derive some useful educative experience in the
> field of AI? any of these languages would be helpful in any way for my
> AI-related studies?

The Prolog tutorial, http://www.amzi.com/AdventureInProlog/index.htm, uses
an IF game as a teaching example.

There is a beta version of an IF toolkit that uses logic programming and
Prolog definite clause grammar (DCG) for developing game logic. The
documentation and download for it are available at:
http://www.ainewsletter.com/downloads/index.htm

Any comments are appreciated.

Dennis
!