Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 boot error

Last response: in Windows 7
September 5, 2012 2:34:33 AM

I have an HP Pavilion laptop and used recovery manager to do an image factory restore. Upon reboot it brings up the following message:

Please wait:
updrvltr:unknown
x:\windows\system32

It wants me to enter something at the command prompt. Does anyone know what I need to do?

More about : windows boot error

a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 8:00:18 AM

Oh, this is a nasty one. I googled it and the HP forums have a number of references to this problem, but no clear solution. It seems that the recovery process somehow messes up the drive letters, causing havoc with your boot process.

Would you be open to a format and re-install?
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:30:09 AM

The problem might be associated with the system32 directory where some files are missing or something like that. Try re-installing the Windows using another disc or image.
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2012 10:20:09 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Oh, this is a nasty one. I googled it and the HP forums have a number of references to this problem, but no clear solution. It seems that the recovery process somehow messes up the drive letters, causing havoc with your boot process.

Would you be open to a format and re-install?

The problem is that I don't have a copy of windows 7 since it isn't provided when you buy the laptop. Is there someplace where I can download an image?
m
l
September 5, 2012 11:04:46 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Try this. Look for an image that will work with your product key.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...

NOTE: These are not cracked, illegal torrent images. They are the official ISO's, so you still need a valid licence and product key.

Thanks. I have a product key. I downloaded one of these yesterday, it was a zip file. Do I need to unzip before burning to the cd?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 11:07:54 AM

Yes, it needs to be a .iso file.
m
l
September 5, 2012 11:22:43 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Yes, it needs to be a .iso file.

It just unzipped to a bunch of folders and files. Does that sound right?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 11:23:22 AM

Not really... ISO's can be burned directly to disc. If what you have are the contents of the disc, you need to create an image first.
m
l
September 5, 2012 11:38:00 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Not really... ISO's can be burned directly to disc. If what you have are the contents of the disc, you need to create an image first.

Thanks, if you can give me some step by step help I would appreciate it. I am now copying over the file from the website you gave me above. Will that save as an iso or zip file? the one yesterday saved as a zip file.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 11:49:27 AM

I just clicked on one to start the download, and it appears to save as a .iso file. All you do then is burn it to disc as a image using a free tool such as ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP, and voila! You have a bootable Windows 7 installation disc.
m
l
September 5, 2012 11:52:24 AM

Herr_Koos said:
I just clicked on one to start the download, and it appears to save as a .iso file. All you do then is burn it to disc as a image using a free tool such as ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP, and voila! You have a bootable Windows 7 installation disc.

Ok, I think it is fine, I did a google search and found out that iso files are sometimes looked at as zip files in windows. It saves winzip but when I click on properties it also says .iso. Based on what I read I think I am fine. I am going to just try and burn it like you said. Will this also have the drivers and such that I need or will I need to go out and find those?

Thanks for your help.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 12:19:35 PM

Out-of-the-box drivers on Windows 7 are generally quite good. This being an OEM computer however, you will need to download some drivers from HP's site for all hardware to work properly.
m
l
September 5, 2012 12:21:19 PM

If you have a Win 7 disc, you can make an image using Nero suite, i.e. Win7.iso
m
l
September 5, 2012 12:41:45 PM

Simply updated fresh copy of window 7 and you can also repair your windows 7 simply boot your windows 7 disk then follow the instructions and repaired it. If issued not solved then take Microsoft Help for better solution.

Microsoft Help
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 1:21:07 PM

If you search for your model, the HP website will list drivers by device. Download whichever ones you need.
m
l
September 5, 2012 1:21:41 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Out-of-the-box drivers on Windows 7 are generally quite good. This being an OEM computer however, you will need to download some drivers from HP's site for all hardware to work properly.

Thanks. So after I install the image should I just go to HP website, can I enter in my laptop model and have it find the drivers or will I need to know which drivers I need?
m
l
September 5, 2012 3:48:01 PM

Herr_Koos said:
If you search for your model, the HP website will list drivers by device. Download whichever ones you need.

With the iso file will it still prompt me to format or partition the hard drive? I imagine it is corrupted somehow.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2012 7:37:35 PM

You should be able to; it will take you through the normal Windows setup process, during which you can format the drive.
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:31:02 AM

Herr_Koos said:
You should be able to; it will take you through the normal Windows setup process, during which you can format the drive.

so far it is working good. THank you very much. I like your bible verse reference, that is one of my favorites.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:24:49 AM

Herr_Koos said:

All work well but when I restart it gives me two options: Windows 7 or ramdisk options. Do you know what I need to do?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 6, 2012 6:57:27 AM

dorlando said:
All work well but when I restart it gives me two options: Windows 7 or ramdisk options. Do you know what I need to do?

Is it showing the RAMdisk as a boot option? Have you finished the Windows 7 installation?
m
l
September 6, 2012 10:55:35 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Is it showing the RAMdisk as a boot option? Have you finished the Windows 7 installation?

Yes. The windows finished, works fine. It just asks which option to boot when it restarts.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 6, 2012 10:58:58 AM

Glad to hear it!
m
l
September 7, 2012 12:52:10 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Glad to hear it!

My internet explorere is acting up a bit. my taskbar disappears every time I click on a web page, I do not have it set for hidden. IE also locks up a bit at times. If I want to reinstall do I need to uninstall first or can I just go out to the microsoft website and install?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2012 12:53:23 PM

I take it this is IE8 that comes with Windows 7? Go to the MS website and download IE9, it is a MUCH better all-round browser. Alternatively you could switch to Firefox or Chrome.
m
l
September 7, 2012 1:44:21 PM

Herr_Koos said:
I take it this is IE8 that comes with Windows 7? Go to the MS website and download IE9, it is a MUCH better all-round browser. Alternatively you could switch to Firefox or Chrome.

This is actually IE9. I guess I can try to reintall, if that doesn't work I can try the others as you mentioned. I installed Java this morning and after installing I went back to the website that requires java, the site came up then froze each time. Should I reinstall? is there a back dated version I should try instead?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2012 1:47:54 PM

Check your Flash and Java plugin versions, they tend to cause most of the problems with website crashes.
m
l
September 7, 2012 3:24:26 PM

is there a version you recommend for java?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2012 3:40:01 PM

Mine is currently 7.0.70.10 on IE9.
m
l
!