Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why does everone dump on Paul Allen Panks?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 8:22:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Ok, personally I don't know the guy- nor am I he- lest you
think this is some silly ruse. I have just noticed through a great
deal of lurking within the past few years that he does not enjoy a
high degree of appreciation. Now with regard to WestfrontPC, I have
played it. No, it's not really Interactive Fiction, but on the other
hand it's not a bad game. I myself have often thought about creating
a really huge text-based rpg, probably in Inform if I ever get around
to learning the language. Sort of the Final Fantasy 7 of text-games.

But the point is this. Could someone tell me why he is so
disliked, a black sheep, as I have seen him listed??? Fire away with
the flames if you like, dosn't bother me.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 1:12:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Angbandit77 <vash2003@charter.net> wrote:

Oh, stop astroturfing already, willya?

Richard
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 1:35:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I think the main reason is the way he continually harps on about his games
to an audience who plainly don't care. And have told him so on numerous
occasions. If there was a guy standing at the end of your street who made a
point of yelling at you every time you went past him, you'd probably get
tired of it very, very quickly. If he continued to do that every day for
years, you'd be going for him with an axe before long.

"Angbandit77" <vash2003@charter.net> wrote in message
news:o 680g0t3f50oj1cmr19sgi2b342t1u6007@4ax.com...
>
> Ok, personally I don't know the guy- nor am I he- lest you
> think this is some silly ruse. I have just noticed through a great
> deal of lurking within the past few years that he does not enjoy a
> high degree of appreciation. Now with regard to WestfrontPC, I have
> played it. No, it's not really Interactive Fiction, but on the other
> hand it's not a bad game. I myself have often thought about creating
> a really huge text-based rpg, probably in Inform if I ever get around
> to learning the language. Sort of the Final Fantasy 7 of text-games.
>
> But the point is this. Could someone tell me why he is so
> disliked, a black sheep, as I have seen him listed??? Fire away with
> the flames if you like, dosn't bother me.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 2:52:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

"Angbandit77" <vash2003@charter.net> wrote in message
news:o 680g0t3f50oj1cmr19sgi2b342t1u6007@4ax.com...
>
> Ok, personally I don't know the guy- nor am I he- lest you
> think this is some silly ruse. I have just noticed through a great
> deal of lurking within the past few years that he does not enjoy a
> high degree of appreciation. Now with regard to WestfrontPC, I have
> played it. No, it's not really Interactive Fiction, but on the other
> hand it's not a bad game. I myself have often thought about creating
> a really huge text-based rpg, probably in Inform if I ever get around
> to learning the language. Sort of the Final Fantasy 7 of text-games.
>
> But the point is this. Could someone tell me why he is so
> disliked, a black sheep, as I have seen him listed??? Fire away with
> the flames if you like, dosn't bother me.

I don't know but I share in your confusion. Mr. Knight37 attacked me for
being a "troll" (if I interpreted him correctly) for asking about what is
apparently mr. Panks game, the WestfrontPC that you mentioned, as
recommended to me by my friend Cleve. After playing around with it for a
while, I can see why Cleve likes it so much, but I also understand why it
might not be everybody's cup of tea.
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 6:37:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Angbandit77 wrote:

> But the point is this. Could someone tell me why he is so
> disliked, a black sheep, as I have seen him listed??? Fire away with
> the flames if you like, dosn't bother me.

Well, I personally don't have anything against the guy and find him far
less obnoxious than many other Usenet denizens... still, the Wikipedia
thing (have you read about it? it's a recent thread) really tells a lot
about his character. And posting thousands of lines of obfuscated BASIC.
And a few other things like that...

ciao
S
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 11:55:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:52:16 -0500, "Manthey" <none@address.com>
wrote:

Allright, I guess I'll have to read the Wikpedia thing then...

>
>"Angbandit77" <vash2003@charter.net> wrote in message
>news:o 680g0t3f50oj1cmr19sgi2b342t1u6007@4ax.com...
>>
>> Ok, personally I don't know the guy- nor am I he- lest you
>> think this is some silly ruse. I have just noticed through a great
>> deal of lurking within the past few years that he does not enjoy a
>> high degree of appreciation. Now with regard to WestfrontPC, I have
>> played it. No, it's not really Interactive Fiction, but on the other
>> hand it's not a bad game. I myself have often thought about creating
>> a really huge text-based rpg, probably in Inform if I ever get around
>> to learning the language. Sort of the Final Fantasy 7 of text-games.
>>
>> But the point is this. Could someone tell me why he is so
>> disliked, a black sheep, as I have seen him listed??? Fire away with
>> the flames if you like, dosn't bother me.
>
>I don't know but I share in your confusion. Mr. Knight37 attacked me for
>being a "troll" (if I interpreted him correctly) for asking about what is
>apparently mr. Panks game, the WestfrontPC that you mentioned, as
>recommended to me by my friend Cleve. After playing around with it for a
>while, I can see why Cleve likes it so much, but I also understand why it
>might not be everybody's cup of tea.
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 11:59:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:52:16 -0500, "Manthey" <none@address.com>
wrote:

Incidentally is there a link or a direction someone can point me in to
find this recent discussion of Panks on Wikipedia?
And don't sweat the flamers Manthey.

>
>"Angbandit77" <vash2003@charter.net> wrote in message
>news:o 680g0t3f50oj1cmr19sgi2b342t1u6007@4ax.com...
>>
>> Ok, personally I don't know the guy- nor am I he- lest you
>> think this is some silly ruse. I have just noticed through a great
>> deal of lurking within the past few years that he does not enjoy a
>> high degree of appreciation. Now with regard to WestfrontPC, I have
>> played it. No, it's not really Interactive Fiction, but on the other
>> hand it's not a bad game. I myself have often thought about creating
>> a really huge text-based rpg, probably in Inform if I ever get around
>> to learning the language. Sort of the Final Fantasy 7 of text-games.
>>
>> But the point is this. Could someone tell me why he is so
>> disliked, a black sheep, as I have seen him listed??? Fire away with
>> the flames if you like, dosn't bother me.
>
>I don't know but I share in your confusion. Mr. Knight37 attacked me for
>being a "troll" (if I interpreted him correctly) for asking about what is
>apparently mr. Panks game, the WestfrontPC that you mentioned, as
>recommended to me by my friend Cleve. After playing around with it for a
>while, I can see why Cleve likes it so much, but I also understand why it
>might not be everybody's cup of tea.
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 1:03:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Tell Cleve I said, Hello. I betcha he's purty.

A.P. Hill
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 1:07:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Found this so far. Don't know if this is the same guy but then again,
how many Paul Allen Panks can there be out there? I find myself on
the road to agreement with the rest of you on this guy...

From: Richard Smol
Newsgroups:
sci.psychology.psychotherapy,alt.consciousness.near-death-exp,alt.consciousness,talk.origins
Subject: Re: Are these experiences real?


Paul Allen Panks wrote:

> I wanted to share my story with your audience. I believe it is a
> fascinating story about my encounters with the spirit world. I have no
> adequate explanation for them, nor do my parents. I'm not sure what
> they represent, or if they are hallucinations, but they appear real.

Hallucinations always appear real. That's their hallmark.

> I am at a loss to explain why I have seen angels, ghosts, UFOs and
> disincarnated entities for over 7 years now. Such entities have included:
>
> [a] Allen, my father's father.
>
> Jeff Moritz, the former Flagstaff Peace Officer.
>
> [c] Robert Martin, the former DPS Peace Officer.
>
> [c] Ann, my mother's mother and my grandmother.
>
> [d] James, my mother's father and my grandfather.
>
> [e] "Susan", a guardian angel who first visited me in October 1995.
>
> [f] A Siberian Husky, who first appeared the evening my grandmother
> past away (in late-July 2002)
>
> My unborn daughter, who has appeared frequently since October 2000.
>
> [h] Lindsey Chainhalt, who first appeared to me last month.
>
> John Candy, the comedian from various movies
>
> [j] Walter Payton, the NFL athlete from the Chicago Bears
>
> [k] An untold number of ghosts and other apparitions, usually in
> graveyards, cemeteries and sometimes during church.
>
> [l] At least three distinct encounters with angels, two in Flagstaff and
> one while in Paradise Valley.
>
> [m] One unknown UFO encounter, August 2000, flying overhead
> south-southwest at a low altitude, absolutely silent and with no
> engine noise whatsoever.

Most sound like hallucinations to me, perhaps combined with a feverish
imagination. Stray dogs are nothing special, for instance.

> These UFOs flew in formation to form a "triangle", at least seven of them
> were present and they distinctly resembled flying saucers seen on
> television shows and other UFO reports worldwide.

Yeah, and if UFOs would have been defined as banana-shaped you
would have seen a bunch of flying bananas, no doubt.

> I have also experienced at least two OBEs and one NDE, where I entered
> into a bright light and was shown flashes of my life while on earth. This
> transpired while I had briefly fallen asleep, and then I was returned to
> my body at the top of my head, to which I received a tremendous jolt and
> gasped for breath. When I finally became oriented again, I felt tense and
> not relieved at all. I did not discuss this with anyone because I felt I
> was losing my mind, or part of my mind.

More hallucinations, clearly fed by similar stories. NDEs on operation
tables are likely to be caused by Ketamine and Phencyclidine, which
are
used for anaesthetics.

> Additionally, I experienced a vision in a dream-like state in which an
> angel with a flowing gown brought my unborn daughter to my side, and asked
> her when she would like to come to Earth. She was unsure, so the angel
> smiled at me and they reentered the light and then the vision and dream
> faded away into oblivion.

I do get the idea that you might be suffering from sleep paralysis.

> In July of 2002, right before my grandmother passed away, I had a strange
> dream in which a funeral was taking place and I saw a rose-wood coffin in
> the center of a church. There were many people there, and Nana (my
> grandmother) was lying in the casket holding a black rose. This was
> exactly one week prior to when she did pass away, in July 2002.

Dreams can be spooky, right? But they are just that: dreams.

<- snip rest of blather ->

> Are my experiences real, or am I hallucinating yet again?

You are hallucinating... or fantasizing.

RS
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 1:16:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:07:52 -0400, Angbandit77 <vash2003@charter.net>
wrote:

Well, I've read the whole thread and I now can safely say that you
all have every reason to dump on the guy. He appears to be
dellusionall about quite a few things, his game now withstanding. ; >
Still though, I happen to like Westfront, but trying to get your game
in some list of noteriaty or merit should be done be allowing the work
to speak for itself, not by trying to get it mentioned as many
websites as you can or posting every little change to the game on this
newsgroup or any other. If it was me, I would keep working on the
program until everyone agreed that my game was the greatest and be
happy just to have a smug look on my face.


>Found this so far. Don't know if this is the same guy but then again,
>how many Paul Allen Panks can there be out there? I find myself on
>the road to agreement with the rest of you on this guy...
>
>From: Richard Smol
>Newsgroups:
>sci.psychology.psychotherapy,alt.consciousness.near-death-exp,alt.consciousness,talk.origins
>Subject: Re: Are these experiences real?
>
>
>Paul Allen Panks wrote:
>
>> I wanted to share my story with your audience. I believe it is a
>> fascinating story about my encounters with the spirit world. I have no
>> adequate explanation for them, nor do my parents. I'm not sure what
>> they represent, or if they are hallucinations, but they appear real.
>
>Hallucinations always appear real. That's their hallmark.
>
>> I am at a loss to explain why I have seen angels, ghosts, UFOs and
>> disincarnated entities for over 7 years now. Such entities have included:
>>
>> [a] Allen, my father's father.
>>
>> Jeff Moritz, the former Flagstaff Peace Officer.
>>
>> [c] Robert Martin, the former DPS Peace Officer.
>>
>> [c] Ann, my mother's mother and my grandmother.
>>
>> [d] James, my mother's father and my grandfather.
>>
>> [e] "Susan", a guardian angel who first visited me in October 1995.
>>
>> [f] A Siberian Husky, who first appeared the evening my grandmother
>> past away (in late-July 2002)
>>
>> My unborn daughter, who has appeared frequently since October 2000.
>>
>> [h] Lindsey Chainhalt, who first appeared to me last month.
>>
>> John Candy, the comedian from various movies
>>
>> [j] Walter Payton, the NFL athlete from the Chicago Bears
>>
>> [k] An untold number of ghosts and other apparitions, usually in
>> graveyards, cemeteries and sometimes during church.
>>
>> [l] At least three distinct encounters with angels, two in Flagstaff and
>> one while in Paradise Valley.
>>
>> [m] One unknown UFO encounter, August 2000, flying overhead
>> south-southwest at a low altitude, absolutely silent and with no
>> engine noise whatsoever.
>
>Most sound like hallucinations to me, perhaps combined with a feverish
>imagination. Stray dogs are nothing special, for instance.
>
>> These UFOs flew in formation to form a "triangle", at least seven of them
>> were present and they distinctly resembled flying saucers seen on
>> television shows and other UFO reports worldwide.
>
>Yeah, and if UFOs would have been defined as banana-shaped you
>would have seen a bunch of flying bananas, no doubt.
>
>> I have also experienced at least two OBEs and one NDE, where I entered
>> into a bright light and was shown flashes of my life while on earth. This
>> transpired while I had briefly fallen asleep, and then I was returned to
>> my body at the top of my head, to which I received a tremendous jolt and
>> gasped for breath. When I finally became oriented again, I felt tense and
>> not relieved at all. I did not discuss this with anyone because I felt I
>> was losing my mind, or part of my mind.
>
>More hallucinations, clearly fed by similar stories. NDEs on operation
>tables are likely to be caused by Ketamine and Phencyclidine, which
>are
>used for anaesthetics.
>
>> Additionally, I experienced a vision in a dream-like state in which an
>> angel with a flowing gown brought my unborn daughter to my side, and asked
>> her when she would like to come to Earth. She was unsure, so the angel
>> smiled at me and they reentered the light and then the vision and dream
>> faded away into oblivion.
>
>I do get the idea that you might be suffering from sleep paralysis.
>
>> In July of 2002, right before my grandmother passed away, I had a strange
>> dream in which a funeral was taking place and I saw a rose-wood coffin in
>> the center of a church. There were many people there, and Nana (my
>> grandmother) was lying in the casket holding a black rose. This was
>> exactly one week prior to when she did pass away, in July 2002.
>
>Dreams can be spooky, right? But they are just that: dreams.
>
><- snip rest of blather ->
>
>> Are my experiences real, or am I hallucinating yet again?
>
>You are hallucinating... or fantasizing.
>
>RS
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 6:07:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Angbandit77 wrote:

> Incidentally is there a link or a direction someone can point me in to
> find this recent discussion of Panks on Wikipedia?

The discussion *about* Panks' behaviour on Wikipedia took place in
r.a.i-f:

http://groups.google.de/groups?threadm=caiu8t%246uh%241...
40news6.svr.pol.co.uk

There's also a minimal discussion on the Wikipedia itself. Look up the
article in question, then click on "Discussion".

Regards,
Michael
!