Sign in with
Your question

Is FujiFilm's FinePix F30 the Best Point-and-Shoot?

Last response: in Tom's Guide
January 31, 2007 11:53:05 AM

FujiFilm is an innovator. Its FinePix F30 point-and-shoot digital camera has professional features and sells for under $300. The F30 may just well be the best digital point-and-shoot ever.
January 31, 2007 1:51:45 PM

Quote:
I think your review is pretty subjective, read the indepth technical review at: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/

Especially look at the metering section on page 5 of this review. Is it really the best?

Having used hundreds of cameras film and digital, over the last 20 years, including large and medium format, and actively researching the current and future trends and technologies, The Fujifilm F30 stands apart and clearly one of the best in its class.

I have used this little gem of a camera and have not found one in its class thats better, including its successors! and at this price too!

DP review is a great resource for details and has also rated this camera very high.

Fuji... Great camera and Barry... Great review.. on the dot!
Related resources
January 31, 2007 9:28:56 PM

In the market for a smaller P&S for the times when I'm too lazy to bring the SLR setup. Can't say I agree w/ the reviewer's claim that this is the best small P&S ever made. I'm comparing it to the SD800IS from Canon which can be had for $300-350 with discounts. Against the Canon, it lacks the IS, and more importantly IMHO, the wide angle. With the couple of stops the IS gains you, you can achieve the same exposure at ISO 800 (1600 is avaiable), though you won't have the ability to stop motion that a faster shutter speed with 3200 will give you. Personally, and for folks that want to shoot more landscape, the 28mm(35mm equiv) wide angle of the canon is alot more useful. For the tele end, both cameras are close (105:108) Av and Tv modes are nice, can't see why they can't incorporate that into all cameras, but it can be emulated through some of the auto shooting modes. The Fuji does look very promising, but to claim it as the best P&S might be a tad too bold.

edit: looking at the side by side comparison of the pics from the fuji versus other cameras (even a Nikon SLR w/ a 50 1.8 prime lense). I'm extremely impressed.
February 1, 2007 12:32:16 AM

The word "Best Point-and-Shoot" is relative. Best for what purpose? As stated, if you are looking for wide-angle - sorry the F30 is not going to do it. Some people puts in attachment lens etc - but the quality of these combination of lenses are horrible bar a few rare ones - Nikon's wide angle/telephoto attachments for the Nikon 9XX swivel cameras are quite good actually. The same with long telephoto needs - the F30 is not going to make it.

For general snapshots, scenery, children, ie people shots, in poor light, I can safely say that it is probably the best p&s for that purpose. For daylight pictures, with its tendency to overexpose makes things a bit difficult for a typical p&s user in which case I would say it is not the best. For the knowlegeable user who knows how to compensate will be able to solve this problem.

edit: Just to note that you can shoot landscape picture with any type of lens, not just wide angle. No doubt wide angle lenses give you the overall scene, but there they are also other form of landscape.
YL Tan
February 1, 2007 9:11:07 AM

Last summer I got an F11 - the predecessor to the F30.
The only faults on the F11 was an unreadable viewscreen in bright sunlight and no manual focus - I've given up trying to take real close up macro pictures.
The best thing was the natural light setting - camera automatically changes the ISO setting in order not to use the flash.
e.g. in the Blue Grotto at Capri I was fumbling with my Minolta Z3 trying to get some pictures and my gf had the F11. Rocking around in a boat, in the dark I couldn't see what I was doing and kept taking long shutter exposures, which of course can't work in a small wobbly boat. The F11 took some superb pictures. Might be a bit too dumbed down for some, but this was an occasion where the feature worked.
If the F30 is better than the F11 then it will be really worth getting.
February 1, 2007 8:20:09 PM

Quote:
I'm comparing it to the SD800IS from Canon which can be had for $300-350 with discounts. Against the Canon, it lacks the IS, and more importantly IMHO, the wide angle. With the couple of stops the IS gains you, you can achieve the same exposure at ISO 800 (1600 is avaiable), though you won't have the ability to stop motion that a faster shutter speed with 3200 will give you.

edit: looking at the side by side comparison of the pics from the fuji versus other cameras (even a Nikon SLR w/ a 50 1.8 prime lense). I'm extremely impressed.

The SD800IS is a good camera but like most others is mediocre ISO400 and above. Image stabilization is not going to improve image quality and stopping motion is not the only use for higher ISO. The Fuji film F30 is probably the only P&S that works great at ISO800 and that too at half the price of the SD800IS.
!