BSOD Help

About 2-3 weeks ago I started suddenly getting random, frequent restarts. After some trial and error (including reinstalling Windows 7) and a little research, I determined the most likely (and cheapest to repair) cause was the PSU (which was only 600W). So I replaced it with an 850W and the restarts stopped. It's been ten days since I replaced the PSU. I hadn't yet moved any files from my windows.old file that was created when I reinstalled Windows 7, so I did that about two days ago. I simply moved everything in my old user file to the new one. Otherwise, I copied the Windows/FONTS folder and my Steam applications. All other program files were redownloaded. I then deleted the windows.old folder. Soon after I did all of this, I started experiencing BSODs. I get them while playing Guild Wars 2. I also got one while viewing some flash videos last night.

As far as I know, the BSOD doesn't list a specific reason. It displays: 0x0000001e (0x0000000, 0x0000000, 0x0000000, 0x0000000).

Please let me know if any other info is needed.

Thanks!

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Computer Type Desktop PC
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer Version 9
DirectX Version 11
CPU Type and Speed Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs) ~ 3.7GHz
Motherboard Chipset Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68AP-D3 (Socket 1155)
System BIOS Revision Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
System Memory Type 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
System Memory Speed 668.7 MHz
Video Card Type and Speed AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Power Supply Unit (PSU) Thermaltake 850 Watt
Anti-virus Software Microsoft Essentials
5 answers Last reply
More about bsod help
  1. The second most likely culprit is your memory, download memtest86 and create the bootable disk, boot from this disk and let it run for 10-12 passes. This test will take quite a while to complete, but if it passes 12 complete runs then your memory is not a problem. If you run the test and get even a single error, one of your memory sticks is bad, remove it and rerun the test till you don't get any errors.
  2. If that's the second most likely culprit, then what's the first?

I've run Windows Memory Diagnostic (included with Windows 7) and gotten no errors. Is that sufficient or would I still need to use memtest86?
  3. Since no dump file was generated (and yes, I've followed the instructions on how to enable it), here's a photo of the crash:

4. Quote:
    Bug Check 0x1E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

So likely either a RAM problem [my guess] or a driver conflict. Run memtest86 to validate the RAM.
  5. http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

Download, install, run and analyse. Copy/paste the conclusion.

Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7