split graphics window

deb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

hi,
is there any way to (in tads 3 - but presumably just using html)
divide the output window of a game so that one half constantly has
graphics (similar to traditional commercial text games such as those
by magnetic scrolls and level 9 and some by infocom as well). as it
is, all i can do is make graphics on the actual text window, which
scroll away with the text. thanks.

"Deb" <green4231@yahoo.se> wrote in message
> hi,
> is there any way to (in tads 3 - but presumably just using html)
> divide the output window of a game so that one half constantly has
> graphics (similar to traditional commercial text games such as
those
> by magnetic scrolls and level 9 and some by infocom as well). as
it
> is, all i can do is make graphics on the actual text window, which
> scroll away with the text. thanks.

I've never experimented with this myself, but this sounds like
something you could probably do with the <BANNER> tag in TADS3 (or
HTML-TADS2 for that matter). There should be some HTML-TADS
documentation that came with the standard TADS 3 distribution you
can look it up in.

-- Eric

deb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

"Eric Eve" <eric.eve@NOSPAMhmc.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cdvopa$pvi$1@news.ox.ac.uk>...
> "Deb" <green4231@yahoo.se> wrote in message
> > hi,
> > is there any way to (in tads 3 - but presumably just using html)
> > divide the output window of a game so that one half constantly has
> > graphics (similar to traditional commercial text games such as
> those
> > by magnetic scrolls and level 9 and some by infocom as well). as
> it
> > is, all i can do is make graphics on the actual text window, which
> > scroll away with the text. thanks.
>
> I've never experimented with this myself, but this sounds like
> something you could probably do with the <BANNER> tag in TADS3 (or
> HTML-TADS2 for that matter). There should be some HTML-TADS
> documentation that came with the standard TADS 3 distribution you
> can look it up in.
>
> -- Eric

though when i try the tag for <banner> it tells me that i should use
the banner api instead, since banner isn't supported in tads 3. there
seems to be little documentation on the "banner api" anywhere. how
does this function exactly?

Debbie.

green4231@yahoo.se (Deb) wrote in

> hi,
> is there any way to (in tads 3 - but presumably just using
> html) divide the output window of a game so that one half
> constantly has graphics (similar to traditional commercial text
> games such as those by magnetic scrolls and level 9 and some by
> infocom as well). as it is, all i can do is make graphics on
> the actual text window, which scroll away with the text.
> thanks.

Yes, this is possible. You can split the screen into so-called
banners using the banner API, rather like a website layouted using
frames.

Note that the <banner> HTML tag from TADS 2 (and earlier versions of
TADS 3) is not supported anymore, and banners now work, to some
extent, on non-HTML interpreters (the status line is a banner, too,
I presume).

The banner API is described in t3banner.htm.

~a

(Follow-Up set to raif)

--
kitzapoo {at} gmx {dot} co {dot} uk

"Deb" <green4231@yahoo.se> wrote in message
> though when i try the tag for <banner> it tells me that i should
use
> the banner api instead, since banner isn't supported in tads 3.
there
> seems to be little documentation on the "banner api" anywhere. how
> does this function exactly?

Mea culpa! I should have looked at the TADS 3 docs more carefully
before replying (but at least I've shown I was telling the truth
when I said I hadn't tried <BANNER> for myself!).

But anyway, it looks like Ally's given you the correct answer!

-- Eric