Sign in with
Your question

migrating HD's

Last response: in Storage
September 1, 2004 10:22:54 PM

Here's my situation...I've got a shuttle XPC with an 80 gig HD in it. I'm buying a 160 gig hitatchi drive which I wish to make my primary HD. I'm buying an external firewire enclosure for my 80 gig, I then want to partition it 30 gig and 50 gig. 30 for mp3's, 50 for backup imaging. I have a DVD burner as well, so I can burn another set of disc images if I must, but my question is what is the best way to get an exact image of my 80 gig onto my 160 gig so it'll be minimal hassel to setup? The imaging software I'm using is norton ghost. If there is another piece of software I should be using to do this much easier, I'd be glad to. any and all advice is appreciated!

More about : migrating

September 2, 2004 7:10:41 AM

PowerQuest Drive Image 9 has all the advanced features needed to make a partition copy of Windows XP. I know this for certain because I've done it. It can only go from same sized drives or from smaller to larger (as you're doing). So it looks like a go for you. Make sure you use the advanced options to make the drive bootable and all that. Then switch the larger drive from slave to master.

Norton Ghost will probably do the trick, but you'll probably be stuck doing a "repair" installation of XP to make the drive bootable. That's fine too, at least all your files remain intact.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 2, 2004 3:04:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I looked for Drive Image 9....and there's only a drive image 7. Looks like Symantec bought them out, so Ghost is the one they push and they don't make Drive Image anymore. Did you mean Drive Image 7, or is it a different product you were thinking of?
September 2, 2004 9:34:23 PM

You're right, I had a brain fart and actually had to look at the program to figure out it was Drive Image 7.

Drive Image 7 would be the perfect solution but you can probably get away with Ghost even if it requires you to run a repair instal of XP to get the OS back up.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!