Disabling Pop-Up Balloon Descriptions

Hi,

Pop-up balloons are driving me crazy. I have gone into Tools > Folder
Options > View and unchecked the box for "Show pop-up description for folder
and desktop items" but I continue to get the balloons.

When I point to the Start button, I get a pop-up balloon that tells me that
I have too many items in my start menu. There are only 9 items in my start
menu.

Also, when I place my pointer on a file, the yellow pop-up appears. When I
point to this screen for this message, I get a yellow pop-up that says "Enter
your message." When I point to "Post," it says "Post this message." And the
list goes on and on with everything I point to, and the pop-up sometimes is
so large that I can't see what I want to see behind it.

I don't want either of these pop-ups. Where can I find the setting to
disable these items?
8 answers Last reply
More about disabling balloon descriptions

    From Kelly's web site:

    Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Row 11)

    Disable All includes: Balloon Tips, Folder Contents Info Tips, Explorer Pop-Ups, Show Info
    Tips, Start Menu and Notification Area.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Pop-up balloons are driving me crazy. I have gone into Tools > Folder
    > Options > View and unchecked the box for "Show pop-up description for folder
    > and desktop items" but I continue to get the balloons.
    >
    > When I point to the Start button, I get a pop-up balloon that tells me that
    > I have too many items in my start menu. There are only 9 items in my start
    > menu.
    >
    > Also, when I place my pointer on a file, the yellow pop-up appears. When I
    > point to this screen for this message, I get a yellow pop-up that says "Enter
    > your message." When I point to "Post," it says "Post this message." And the
    > list goes on and on with everything I point to, and the pop-up sometimes is
    > so large that I can't see what I want to see behind it.
    >
    > I don't want either of these pop-ups. Where can I find the setting to
    > disable these items?

    Hi t.cruise,

    Thanks for responding. I downloaded that program already but it didn't
    help. I still get the balloons and pointer pop-ups.

    Denise

    ======================================

    denisedenise wrote:

    > Hi t.cruise,
    >
    > Thanks for responding. I downloaded that program already but it didn't
    > help. I still get the balloons and pointer pop-ups.
    >
    > Denise
    >
    > ======================================
    >
    > "t.cruise" wrote:
    >

    >>From Kelly's web site:
    >>
    >>Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Row 11)
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >>
    >>Disable All includes: Balloon Tips, Folder Contents Info Tips, Explorer Pop-Ups, Show Info
    >>Tips, Start Menu and Notification Area.
    >>--
    >>
    >>T.C.
    >>t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
    >>Remove [NoSpam] to reply
    >>

    >>"denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Pop-up balloons are driving me crazy. I have gone into Tools > Folder
    >>>Options > View and unchecked the box for "Show pop-up description for folder
    >>>and desktop items" but I continue to get the balloons.
    >>>
    >>>When I point to the Start button, I get a pop-up balloon that tells me that
    >>>I have too many items in my start menu. There are only 9 items in my start
    >>>menu.
    >>>
    >>>Also, when I place my pointer on a file, the yellow pop-up appears. When I
    >>>point to this screen for this message, I get a yellow pop-up that says "Enter
    >>>your message." When I point to "Post," it says "Post this message." And the
    >>>list goes on and on with everything I point to, and the pop-up sometimes is
    >>>so large that I can't see what I want to see behind it.
    >>>
    >>>I don't want either of these pop-ups. Where can I find the setting to
    >>>disable these items?

    Did you click on the Disable All part of the line, then properly save
    and import the *.reg file into the registry?

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi T.cruise,

    I downloaded the program with disable all this time and i finally got rid of
    the pop-ups. Thanks so much for your help.

    Denise

    =========================

    "t.cruise" wrote:

    > From Kelly's web site:
    >
    > Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Row 11)
    >
    > Disable All includes: Balloon Tips, Folder Contents Info Tips, Explorer Pop-Ups, Show Info
    > Tips, Start Menu and Notification Area.
    > --
    >
    > T.C.
    > t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
    > Remove [NoSpam] to reply
    >

    > "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Pop-up balloons are driving me crazy. I have gone into Tools > Folder
    > > Options > View and unchecked the box for "Show pop-up description for folder
    > > and desktop items" but I continue to get the balloons.
    > >
    > > When I point to the Start button, I get a pop-up balloon that tells me that
    > > I have too many items in my start menu. There are only 9 items in my start
    > > menu.
    > >
    > > Also, when I place my pointer on a file, the yellow pop-up appears. When I
    > > point to this screen for this message, I get a yellow pop-up that says "Enter
    > > your message." When I point to "Post," it says "Post this message." And the
    > > list goes on and on with everything I point to, and the pop-up sometimes is
    > > so large that I can't see what I want to see behind it.
    > >
    > > I don't want either of these pop-ups. Where can I find the setting to
    > > disable these items?

    Denise:

    I am glad that your problem was solved. But, the thanks should go to Kelly. Kelly's web
    site has a plethora of Windows XP fixes, tips, and information...
    --

    > Hi T.cruise,
    >
    > I downloaded the program with disable all this time and i finally got rid of
    > the pop-ups. Thanks so much for your help.
    >
    > Denise
    >
    > =========================
    >
    > "t.cruise" wrote:
    >
    > > From Kelly's web site:
    > >
    > > Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Row 11)
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >
    > > Disable All includes: Balloon Tips, Folder Contents Info Tips, Explorer Pop-Ups, Show
    Info
    > > Tips, Start Menu and Notification Area.
    > > --
    > >
    > > T.C.
    > > t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
    > > Remove [NoSpam] to reply
    > >

    > > "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Pop-up balloons are driving me crazy. I have gone into Tools > Folder
    > > > Options > View and unchecked the box for "Show pop-up description for folder
    > > > and desktop items" but I continue to get the balloons.
    > > >
    > > > When I point to the Start button, I get a pop-up balloon that tells me that
    > > > I have too many items in my start menu. There are only 9 items in my start
    > > > menu.
    > > >
    > > > Also, when I place my pointer on a file, the yellow pop-up appears. When I
    > > > point to this screen for this message, I get a yellow pop-up that says "Enter
    > > > your message." When I point to "Post," it says "Post this message." And the
    > > > list goes on and on with everything I point to, and the pop-up sometimes is
    > > > so large that I can't see what I want to see behind it.
    > > >
    > > > I don't want either of these pop-ups. Where can I find the setting to
    > > > disable these items?

    > denisedenise wrote:
    >
    > > Hi t.cruise,
    > >
    > > Thanks for responding. I downloaded that program already but it didn't
    > > help. I still get the balloons and pointer pop-ups.
    > >
    > > Denise
    > >
    > > ======================================
    > >
    > > "t.cruise" wrote:
    > >

    > >>From Kelly's web site:
    > >>
    > >>Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Row 11)
    > >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >>
    > >>Disable All includes: Balloon Tips, Folder Contents Info Tips, Explorer Pop-Ups, Show Info
    > >>Tips, Start Menu and Notification Area.
    > >>--
    > >>
    > >>T.C.
    > >>t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
    > >>Remove [NoSpam] to reply
    > >>

    > >>"denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Did you click on the Disable All part of the line, then properly save
    > and import the *.reg file into the registry?
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    ====================================

    Hi Rock,

    I downloaded the program with disable all this time and i finally got rid of
    the pop-ups. I didn't have to import it to registry as it was done
    automatically. I usually don't like to touch my registry but it was worth it
    this time (I hope).

    Thanks for your help.

    Denise

    denisedenise wrote:

    > Hi Rock,
    >
    > I downloaded the program with disable all this time and i finally got rid of
    > the pop-ups. I didn't have to import it to registry as it was done
    > automatically. I usually don't like to touch my registry but it was worth it
    > this time (I hope).
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Denise

    You did import it into the registry -- by double clicking on the *.reg
    file. Glad things are how you want it now.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hello again!

    This morning when I turned my computer on, the pointer pop-ups were there
    again. Is there anything that I can do or do I need to run the program
    whenever I turn my computer on?

    Denise

Microsoft Windows XP