FTP still open after disabling port 21 forwarding...

Scenario:
I have a MN-500 router, firmware: V1.11.017. I noticed
my FTP logs on my server were being updated. Upon
further investigation, I noticed external IPs were
accessing my FTP server and trying to logon (anoymnous is
disabled, of course). This is alarming because I am NOT
forwarding FTP traffic to my server. I only open FTP up
when I need to FTP something to myself or let friends
connect. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I completely
removed port 21 from my base station's port forwarding
configuration and made sure the change was applied by
logging out and back in. Port 21 is not referenced
anywhere now in my base station management tool. After
that, I ran a scan.sygate.com port scan and it is still
reporting 21 as OPEN. Yikes!

Question:
Anyone experience this before? For example, you disabled
or completely removed a port from the router's forwarding
configuration, but you still are able to connect to that
port?

UPDATE: I resolved the issue by unplugging the router,
waiting a few seconds and then plugging it back in. Ran
a port scan and now it reports 21 as BLOCKED.

I'm stll curious to know if someone else has experienced
this kind of behavior. Thanks!