Restore Point

July 5, 2005 7:33:04 PM

Hi again :)

Sorry to be such a pest but I have another problem. I run all of my
anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag, chkdsk every week. I then create
a restore point. Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to Classic view and
the option to change it back to XP view wasn't available. But the restore
points that I saved were not available. I was given a choice of July 1,2,3,4
and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last Monday, June 27th,
but when I clicked on the << arrow to go back to the month of June, it
wouldn't go back.

What happened to the restore points that I created and why couldn't I access
them? I know that they were saved because I received a message that they
were created.

And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View when I turned my
computer on yesterday.

Any help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I hope you
all had a nice 4th!

Denise

More about : restore point

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:39:02 PM

What programs have you installed since June 27th? Have you changed any
system settings or used any tweaking tools since then?

"denisedenise" wrote:

> Hi again :)
>
> Sorry to be such a pest but I have another problem. I run all of my
> anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag, chkdsk every week. I then create
> a restore point. Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
> computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to Classic view and
> the option to change it back to XP view wasn't available. But the restore
> points that I saved were not available. I was given a choice of July 1,2,3,4
> and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last Monday, June 27th,
> but when I clicked on the << arrow to go back to the month of June, it
> wouldn't go back.
>
> What happened to the restore points that I created and why couldn't I access
> them? I know that they were saved because I received a message that they
> were created.
>
> And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View when I turned my
> computer on yesterday.
>
> Any help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I hope you
> all had a nice 4th!
>
> Denise

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:49:15 PM

Restore can only save as many restore points as it has room for.When that
limit is reached it starts to delete the oldest to make the newest.If you
right click "my computer"/properties/system restore....click on the drive
and then settings you can increase this amount of space.It seems you have 5
days worth which is most likely more than most people.Try one of the earlier
points....
hope this helps
peterk

the problem
"denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi again :)
>
> Sorry to be such a pest but I have another problem. I run all of my
> anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag, chkdsk every week. I then
> create
> a restore point. Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
> computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to Classic view and
> the option to change it back to XP view wasn't available. But the restore
> points that I saved were not available. I was given a choice of July
> 1,2,3,4
> and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last Monday, June
> 27th,
> but when I clicked on the << arrow to go back to the month of June, it
> wouldn't go back.
>
> What happened to the restore points that I created and why couldn't I
> access
> them? I know that they were saved because I received a message that they
> were created.
>
> And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View when I turned my
> computer on yesterday.
>
> Any help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I hope you
> all had a nice 4th!
>
> Denise

July 5, 2005 10:40:05 PM

Hi usasma

Thanks for responding.

I downloaded a clock that gives the "day - mmm, dd ,yy - time" that sits on
top of the Windows clock and a program to eliminate those cursed balloons,
but those programs didn't change the registry. (I'm very careful about
installing anything that will affect my registery and I keep a copy of my
registry file on a disk just in case.) After I completed the system restore,
I reinstalled the clock and balloon eliminator and my view settings didn't
change to Classic again, so I don't think they caused the problem. The
program to eliminate the balloons doesn't work as I still get them . . .
grrrrr. :)

"usasma" wrote:

> What programs have you installed since June 27th? Have you changed any
> system settings or used any tweaking tools since then?
>
> "denisedenise" wrote:
>
> > Hi again :)
> >
> > Sorry to be such a pest but I have another problem. I run all of my
> > anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag, chkdsk every week. I then create
> > a restore point. Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
> > computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to Classic view and
> > the option to change it back to XP view wasn't available. But the restore
> > points that I saved were not available. I was given a choice of July 1,2,3,4
> > and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last Monday, June 27th,
> > but when I clicked on the << arrow to go back to the month of June, it
> > wouldn't go back.
> >
> > What happened to the restore points that I created and why couldn't I access
> > them? I know that they were saved because I received a message that they
> > were created.
> >
> > And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View when I turned my
> > computer on yesterday.
> >
> > Any help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I hope you
> > all had a nice 4th!
> >
> > Denise

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:47:03 PM

Hi Peterk,

Thank you for responding to my post.

The last restore point that I created was on June 27th. The restore points
that my computer offered were July 1,2,3,4,5. I didn't create those restore
points. It seems that my computer creates a restore point every day by
itself. I never knew that. I did a restore to July 1, which was a safe day,
and it restored my XP settings but it eliminated an icon on a folder on my
desktop to a plain folder instead of the icon I put on the folder a few weeks
ago.

"peterk" wrote:

> Restore can only save as many restore points as it has room for.When that
> limit is reached it starts to delete the oldest to make the newest.If you
> right click "my computer"/properties/system restore....click on the drive
> and then settings you can increase this amount of space.It seems you have 5
> days worth which is most likely more than most people.Try one of the earlier
> points....
> hope this helps
> peterk
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
> the problem
> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi again :)
> >
> > Sorry to be such a pest but I have another problem. I run all of my
> > anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag, chkdsk every week. I then
> > create
> > a restore point. Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
> > computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to Classic view and
> > the option to change it back to XP view wasn't available. But the restore
> > points that I saved were not available. I was given a choice of July
> > 1,2,3,4
> > and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last Monday, June
> > 27th,
> > but when I clicked on the << arrow to go back to the month of June, it
> > wouldn't go back.
> >
> > What happened to the restore points that I created and why couldn't I
> > access
> > them? I know that they were saved because I received a message that they
> > were created.
> >
> > And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View when I turned my
> > computer on yesterday.
> >
> > Any help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I hope you
> > all had a nice 4th!
> >
> > Denise

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:35:18 AM

Hi Denise,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

denisedenise wrote:
> Hi again :)
>
> Sorry to be such a pest but I have another problem. I
> run all of my anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag,
> chkdsk every week. I then create a restore point.
> Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
> computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to
> Classic view and the option to change it back to XP view
> wasn't available. But the restore points that I saved
> were not available. I was given a choice of July 1,2,3,4
> and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last
> Monday, June 27th, but when I clicked on the << arrow to
>
> What happened to the restore points that I created and
> why couldn't I access them? I know that they were saved
> because I received a message that they were created.
>
> And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View
> when I turned my computer on yesterday.
>
> Any help that you could give me would be greatly
> appreciated. I hope you all had a nice 4th!
>
> Denise
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:35:19 AM

Hi Bert, there are a lot of srservice (about 17-20 of them). I didn't paste
them all here because, except for the first one dated 7/5/05 when I did a
system restore, and the next few, which say that System Restore has either
been turned off or turned on. I turn them off when I do a complete scan of
my computer for viruses/malware/worms, etc (about 8 different programs)
because one of the programs (either win_betaengdat, Stinger, Trend SysClean
or the DOS scan) requires that System Restore be turned off and go into Safe
Mode to run them. I also have to disable all my anti-virus/malware programs
to run the program. When I've run them all, I reboot, turn the programs and
System Restore back on, and I do a defrag and a chkdsk.

Also, before I turn my computer off, I always do a disk clean-up, I empty my
temporary internet files (not the ones that are located in Control Panel >
Internet Settings, but a different temporary internet file), and I erase my
tracks, delete cookies, etc. Then I run Spybot, Yahoo Anti-Spy, Microsoft
AntiSpyware, and Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. So I constantly
keep my computer very clean as best I can. That's why I was very surprised
when my XP setting changed to Classic.

Well, here's a log of the first few srservice:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 110
Date: 7/5/2005
Time: 5:59:02 PM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-6DVD83PEX
A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point occurred successfully.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 115
Date: 7/1/2005
Time: 7:30:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-6DVD83PEX
System Restore monitoring was enabled on all drives.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 116
Date: 7/1/2005
Time: 7:13:16 PM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-6DVD83PEX
System Restore monitoring was disabled on all drives.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 115

Date: 6/29/2005
Time: 11:29:39 PM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-6DVD83PEX
System Restore monitoring was disabled on all drives.

Sorry I'm so long winded.

Thanks . . . Denise

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Denise,
>
> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
> the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
> the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
> information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
> two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> System Restore Failures to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> denisedenise wrote:
> > Hi again :)
> >
> > Sorry to be such a pest but I have another problem. I
> > run all of my anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag,
> > chkdsk every week. I then create a restore point.
> > Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
> > computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to
> > Classic view and the option to change it back to XP view
> > wasn't available. But the restore points that I saved
> > were not available. I was given a choice of July 1,2,3,4
> > and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last
> > Monday, June 27th, but when I clicked on the << arrow to
> >
> > What happened to the restore points that I created and
> > why couldn't I access them? I know that they were saved
> > because I received a message that they were created.
> >
> > And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View
> > when I turned my computer on yesterday.
> >
> > Any help that you could give me would be greatly
> > appreciated. I hope you all had a nice 4th!
> >
> > Denise

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:35:20 AM

As has been posted previously: When you turn off/disable System Restore, all of your
Restore Points are automatically deleted. Yes, virus removal tools, and antivirus
programs advise to turn off System Restore when cleaning your system of viruses, because
they cannot remove viruses from Restore Points. Ergo, they want you to delete the Restore
Points because they might contain the virus that you are cleaning, and do not want you to
chance restoring from a Restore Point which contains that infection. Again, all of your
previous Restore Points are deleted when you turn off/disable System Restore. Yes,
Windows XP creates its own Restore Points automatically, naming them System Checkpoints.
If you create Restore Points manually, they will of course carry the names that you give
them. In the future, if you turn off System Restore, immediately after enabling it again,
manually create a Restore Point.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

> [...]
> > > run all of my anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag,
> > > chkdsk every week. I then create a restore point.
> > > Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
> > > computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to
> > > Classic view and the option to change it back to XP view
> > > wasn't available. But the restore points that I saved
> > > were not available. I was given a choice of July 1,2,3,4
> > > and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last
> > > Monday, June 27th, but when I clicked on the << arrow to
> > >
> > > What happened to the restore points that I created and
> > > why couldn't I access them? I know that they were saved
> > > because I received a message that they were created.
> > >
> > > And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View
> > > when I turned my computer on yesterday.
> > >
> > > Any help that you could give me would be greatly
> > > appreciated. I hope you all had a nice 4th!

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:06:18 AM

I read your reply to Bert where you state that you turn restore off before
you do certain scans.By turning restore off you lose the restore points
created up to that point.Might I suggest that you avail yourself of programs
that scan without the need to turn restore off.There are quite a few good
malware scanners that are free as well as anti virus that are free.
Spy-bot Search&destroy is good and free
Lava-Softs Adaware is good and free
Avast orAVG is very good anti virus and free
CounterSpy cost a few bucks but its worth it
ZoneAlarm is a free firewall thats better than the XP build in one and ,of
course,is also free.It allows you to set it so that your computer cannot
access the net when your not there.It has a learning curve but its worth it.
Remember that an anti virus program or a mal/ad/ware scanner all need to be
updated regularly to work as intended.
Most of the scanners can be set to scan at a certain time in the middle of
the nite so your not sitting there waiting.
Their help files usually explain the settings to enter in "Scheduled Tasks"
to make this work...some do it automatically.
If you are interested in them just do a google search for them.
XP usually sets a restore point every 24 hrs....
hope this was helpful

> Hi Peterk,
>
> Thank you for responding to my post.
>
> The last restore point that I created was on June 27th. The restore
> points
> that my computer offered were July 1,2,3,4,5. I didn't create those
> restore
> points. It seems that my computer creates a restore point every day by
> itself. I never knew that. I did a restore to July 1, which was a safe
> day,
> and it restored my XP settings but it eliminated an icon on a folder on my
> desktop to a plain folder instead of the icon I put on the folder a few
> weeks
> ago.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 6:59:02 PM

Hi Peterk,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that by turning off System Restore that
I would lose the restore points that I created, and that's useful
information. However, I create the restore points after I turn System
Restore back on and enable all my anti-virus/malware programs. So another
mystery unsolved.

Denise

============================

"peterk" wrote:

> I read your reply to Bert where you state that you turn restore off before
> you do certain scans.By turning restore off you lose the restore points
> created up to that point.Might I suggest that you avail yourself of programs
> that scan without the need to turn restore off.There are quite a few good
> malware scanners that are free as well as anti virus that are free.
> Spy-bot Search&destroy is good and free
> Lava-Softs Adaware is good and free
> Avast orAVG is very good anti virus and free
> CounterSpy cost a few bucks but its worth it
> ZoneAlarm is a free firewall thats better than the XP build in one and ,of
> course,is also free.It allows you to set it so that your computer cannot
> access the net when your not there.It has a learning curve but its worth it.
> Remember that an anti virus program or a mal/ad/ware scanner all need to be
> updated regularly to work as intended.
> Most of the scanners can be set to scan at a certain time in the middle of
> the nite so your not sitting there waiting.
> Their help files usually explain the settings to enter in "Scheduled Tasks"
> to make this work...some do it automatically.
> If you are interested in them just do a google search for them.
> XP usually sets a restore point every 24 hrs....
> hope this was helpful
> peterk
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
> the problem
> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Peterk,
> >
> > Thank you for responding to my post.
> >
> > The last restore point that I created was on June 27th. The restore
> > points
> > that my computer offered were July 1,2,3,4,5. I didn't create those
> > restore
> > points. It seems that my computer creates a restore point every day by
> > itself. I never knew that. I did a restore to July 1, which was a safe
> > day,
> > and it restored my XP settings but it eliminated an icon on a folder on my
> > desktop to a plain folder instead of the icon I put on the folder a few
> > weeks
> > ago.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 7:04:02 PM

Hi Bert,

I didn't know that this troubleshooting method was available. I followed
your directions and there were about 20 srservice listings. The first one
said that I did a system restore. The remainder of them said that I enabled
and disabled System Restore, which I do when I run my anti-virus/malware
programs. I pasted them into this post but I was answering a number of posts
and I must have forgotten to click "Post" for this one. Since all they
showed was that I did a System Restore and that I turned System Restore on
and off a number of times, I didn't go back to do it again for this post.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Denise

=======================================

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Denise,
>
> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
> the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
> the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
> information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
> two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> System Restore Failures to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> denisedenise wrote:
> > Hi again :)
> >
> > Sorry to be such a pest but I have another problem. I
> > run all of my anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag,
> > chkdsk every week. I then create a restore point.
> > Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
> > computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to
> > Classic view and the option to change it back to XP view
> > wasn't available. But the restore points that I saved
> > were not available. I was given a choice of July 1,2,3,4
> > and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last
> > Monday, June 27th, but when I clicked on the << arrow to
> >
> > What happened to the restore points that I created and
> > why couldn't I access them? I know that they were saved
> > because I received a message that they were created.
> >
> > And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View
> > when I turned my computer on yesterday.
> >
> > Any help that you could give me would be greatly
> > appreciated. I hope you all had a nice 4th!
> >
> > Denise

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:46:44 PM

> Hi usasma
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> I downloaded a clock that gives the "day - mmm, dd ,yy - time" that sits
> on
> top of the Windows clock and a program to eliminate those cursed balloons,
> but those programs didn't change the registry. (I'm very careful about
> installing anything that will affect my registery and I keep a copy of my
> registry file on a disk just in case.) After I completed the system
> restore,
> I reinstalled the clock and balloon eliminator and my view settings didn't
> change to Classic again, so I don't think they caused the problem. The
> program to eliminate the balloons doesn't work as I still get them . . .
> grrrrr. :)
> Denise

No need for software to eliminate Balloon Tips, goto the Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Create a new DWORD value, name it EnableBalloonTips, and set the value to 0.

rgds
Li'l Roberto
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:46:45 PM

> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi usasma
> >
> > Thanks for responding.
> >
> > I downloaded a clock that gives the "day - mmm, dd ,yy - time" that sits
> > on
> > top of the Windows clock and a program to eliminate those cursed balloons,
> > but those programs didn't change the registry. (I'm very careful about
> > installing anything that will affect my registery and I keep a copy of my
> > registry file on a disk just in case.) After I completed the system
> > restore,
> > I reinstalled the clock and balloon eliminator and my view settings didn't
> > change to Classic again, so I don't think they caused the problem. The
> > program to eliminate the balloons doesn't work as I still get them . . .
> > grrrrr. :)
> > Denise
>
> No need for software to eliminate Balloon Tips, goto the Key:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
>
> Create a new DWORD value, name it EnableBalloonTips, and set the value to 0.
>
> rgds
> Li'l Roberto

================================

Hi Li'l Roberto,

Thanks for answering my post. Your directions were too complicated for me .
.. . I had no idea what you meant. I've never gone into my registry and
wouldn't know how to change anything and, to tell you the truth, I'd be
afraid to do so because it's something that I don't understand.

"Li'l Roberto" wrote:
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:27:05 AM

I do not know which spyware/malware software, or antivirus software you are using. But,
NO spyware/malware/antivirus software that I have ever used, or tested, has required
turning off System Restore to SCAN my drives. It is only when a virus IS found while
scanning, and is in any of the System Volume Information subfolders, where Restore Point
files are kept, and where that software cannot gain access to remove the virus from
Restore Points, that I would consider disabling System Restore. If
spyware/malware/viruses are in Restore Points, they are harmless unless you Restore from a
Restore Point which contains the infection. But, for scanning purposes alone, I would not
recommend disabling System Restore. If an infection is found while scanning, then yes, I
would disable System Restore, because I would not know which of my recent Restore Points
also contained that infection (be it virus/worm/malware/spyware). Unfortunately, the way
System Restore is set up, you only have two choices: Either turning off System Restore
which deletes ALL Restore Points, or using the Disk Cleanup/More Options tab/System
Restore Clean up button, which removes all but the most recent Restore Point. So, if I
knew that a Restore Point from last month was not infected, there is no native Windows XP
way to retain that Restore Point while deleting all of the others.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

> Hi Bert,
>
> I didn't know that this troubleshooting method was available. I followed
> your directions and there were about 20 srservice listings. The first one
> said that I did a system restore. The remainder of them said that I enabled
> and disabled System Restore, which I do when I run my anti-virus/malware
> programs. I pasted them into this post but I was answering a number of posts
> and I must have forgotten to click "Post" for this one. Since all they
> showed was that I did a System Restore and that I turned System Restore on
> and off a number of times, I didn't go back to do it again for this post.
>
> Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
>
> Denise
>
> =======================================
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
> > Hi Denise,
> >
> > Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
> >
> > Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> > Click on System in the left pane.
> > Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
> > the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> > Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
> > the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
> > information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
> > two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> > System Restore Failures to restore:
> > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> > http://dts-l.org/
> >

> > denisedenise wrote:
> > > Hi again :)
> > >
> > > Sorry to be such a pest but I have another problem. I
> > > run all of my anti-spyware/malware programs, disc defrag,
> > > chkdsk every week. I then create a restore point.
> > > Today, for the first time ever, I needed to restore my
> > > computer to a previous date because my XP view changed to
> > > Classic view and the option to change it back to XP view
> > > wasn't available. But the restore points that I saved
> > > were not available. I was given a choice of July 1,2,3,4
> > > and 5. The last time I created a restore point was last
> > > Monday, June 27th, but when I clicked on the << arrow to
> > >
> > > What happened to the restore points that I created and
> > > why couldn't I access them? I know that they were saved
> > > because I received a message that they were created.
> > >
> > > And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic View
> > > when I turned my computer on yesterday.
> > >
> > > Any help that you could give me would be greatly
> > > appreciated. I hope you all had a nice 4th!
> > >
> > > Denise

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:39:10 PM

Hi t.cruise,

Thanks for the info. I don't remember which anit-virus/malware/spyware
program requires that I turn off System Restore, but one of them does, but if
it does a scan and finds a virus in a System Volume Information subfolder,
I'll leave it on and when I do a major scan (all anit-virus/malware/spyware)
in Windows and DOS. I do that either bi-weekly or once a month, depending on
how much I've browsed or downloaded. When I do this, I turn off all
anit-virus/malware/spyware programs except the one that I'm using so that it
isn't stopped from checking files/folders that are being protected by another
program(s). I also do a defrag and a chkdsk at the same time and then create
a restore point. This was included in the instructions for that
anit-virus/malware/spyware that said that I had to turn off System Restore.

I also have SpywareBlaster and SBC Yahoo On-Line Protection running in the
background all the time and I'm behind Windows Firewall.

Whenever I'm going to turn off my computer for the day, I always do a disc
cleanup and I go into Control Panel > Internet Options > delete cookies,
delete files online and offline, and clear history. Then I run Spybot, Yahoo
Anti-Spy, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, and Microsoft
AntiSpyware. I use Microsoft AntiSpyware to delete my tracks as well. All
of this takes only about 15 minutes and it gives me piece of mind.

This might sound like over-kill but I went through a terrible time with my
computer about 3 months ago. It kept freezing up and crashing every 2 to 3
minutes and had to take it to a computer tech. He transferred all the files
in my computer to his computer and ran a number of scans on the files, and
found no viruses. He then reformatted my computer and transferred all of my
files back into my computer but my computer still kept freezing and crashing.
It turned out that my RAM was bad and was replaced. The whole procedure
cost me over $300.00 and I don't want to go through that again. Besides the
money that it cost me, I was without my computer for about 10 days . . .
ughhhh !!!!

Anyway, the last restore point that I created wasn't there when I needed it
because my computer makes it's own daily restore points and deletes mine
after 5 days. I don't like the fact that my computer does this because when
I create a restore point, it is after I've run all the scans and I know that
my computer is clean.

So, another question . . . how can I tell my computer to create a restore
point every few days instead of daily?

Denise

"t.cruise" wrote:

> [...]
> > and off a number of times, I didn't go back to do it again for this post.
> >
> > Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
> >
> > Denise
> >
> > =======================================
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Denise,
> > >
> > > Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
> > >
> > > Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> > > Click on System in the left pane.
> > > Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
> > > the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> > > Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
> > > the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
> > > information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
> > > two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:05:44 PM

Hi,

As it has been said here several times, turning off System Restore
deletes all existing restore points. You can not get them back.

I wouldn't use any scanner that requires System Restore to be turned
off.
Here is a combination of utilities that I have found that works very
well in the removal and prevention of virus infection, spyware,
parasites, malware and the like.
Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

--

denisedenise wrote:
> [...]
>>> defrag, chkdsk every week. I then create a restore
>>> point. Today, for the first time ever, I needed to
>>> restore my computer to a previous date because my XP
>>> view changed to Classic view and the option to change
>>> it back to XP view wasn't available. But the restore
>>> points that I saved were not available. I was given a
>>> choice of July 1,2,3,4 and 5. The last time I created
>>> a restore point was last Monday, June 27th, but when I
>>> clicked on the << arrow to go back to the month of
>>> June, it wouldn't go back.
>>>
>>> What happened to the restore points that I created and
>>> why couldn't I access them? I know that they were saved
>>> because I received a message that they were created.
>>>
>>> And I have no idea why my XP view changed to Classic
>>> View when I turned my computer on yesterday.
>>>
>>> Any help that you could give me would be greatly
>>> appreciated. I hope you all had a nice 4th!

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:35:09 PM

Hi,

Having System Restore creating restore points every few days is a bad
approach. The most recent restore points are the most valuable. The
further in time the system is set back to, the more chance you have of
loosing system and application setting. Along with any application
that were installed in that period.

Here are some tips to follow on keeping System Restore Healthy.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--

denisedenise wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> T.C.
>> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
>> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>>

>> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bert,
>>>
>>> I didn't know that this troubleshooting method was
>>> available. I followed your directions and there were
>>> about 20 srservice listings. The first one said that I
>>> did a system restore. The remainder of them said that
>>> I enabled and disabled System Restore, which I do when
>>> I run my anti-virus/malware programs. I pasted them
>>> into this post but I was answering a number of posts
>>> and I must have forgotten to click "Post" for this one.
>>> Since all they showed was that I did a System Restore
>>> and that I turned System Restore on and off a number of
>>> times, I didn't go back to do it again for this post.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:41:09 PM

Hi,

The balloon tips can be removed using Tweakui. Install Tweakui and go
Task and Start menu, then uncheck Enable balloon tips.

Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1
and later
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/power...

With NO Service Packs installed, the earlier version can be found
here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install...

TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
Windows XP

--

denisedenise wrote:
>> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> Hi usasma
>>>
>>> Thanks for responding.
>>>
>>> I downloaded a clock that gives the "day - mmm, dd ,yy
>>> - time" that sits on
>>> top of the Windows clock and a program to eliminate
>>> those cursed balloons, but those programs didn't change
>>> the registry. (I'm very careful about installing
>>> anything that will affect my registery and I keep a
>>> copy of my registry file on a disk just in case.)
>>> After I completed the system restore,
>>> I reinstalled the clock and balloon eliminator and my
>>> view settings didn't change to Classic again, so I
>>> don't think they caused the problem. The program to
>>> eliminate the balloons doesn't work as I still get them
>>> . . . grrrrr. :)
>>> Denise
>>
>> No need for software to eliminate Balloon Tips, goto
>> the Key:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
>>
>> Create a new DWORD value, name it EnableBalloonTips, and
>> set the value to 0.
>>
>> rgds
>> Li'l Roberto
>
> ================================
>
> Hi Li'l Roberto,
>
> Thanks for answering my post. Your directions were too
> complicated for me . . . I had no idea what you meant.
> I've never gone into my registry and wouldn't know how to
> change anything and, to tell you the truth, I'd be afraid
> to do so because it's something that I don't understand.
>
> "Li'l Roberto" wrote:
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:05:02 PM

Hi Bert,

So basically what you're saying is that creating my own System Restore
points after I've done a complete scan and have run chkdsk is useless since
it's deleted 5 days after I created it, and that it is inadvisable to change
my computer settings to allow my computer to create a System Restore point
once every 2 or 3 days in order for my computer to maintain the restore point
that I created. I checked the amount of space my computer saves for restore
points and it's 12% (maximum allowed), or 4703 mb. I have an 80 gig hard
drive so that the 4703 mb is less than 12%.

I back up everything that I have in my computer onto CDRW's (my registry
included) so I'm not concerned about losing data. I have a problem with my
computer settings changing for no apparent reason because I don't know how to
go about changing them back to what I want them to be because the option is
unavailable. The program that I downloaded and installed yesterday to delete
all pop-up pointers and balloons worked fine until I turned my computer on
this morning. I don't get pop-up descriptions for files but I get them for
hints again. I'm not a computer genius but I'm not a computer do-do either
that I need a hint to tell me that when I point to the "Post" button, that I
want it to "Post this message." The question is basically rhetorical, but
why did it start giving me hints again after the third time I rebooted my
computer?

Thanks for your advise . . . I appreciate it.

Denise

===============================
"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> [...]
> >> spyware/malware/viruses are in Restore Points, they are
> >> harmless unless you Restore from a Restore Point which
> >> contains the infection. But, for scanning purposes
> >> alone, I would not recommend disabling System Restore.
> >> If an infection is found while scanning, then yes, I
> >> would disable System Restore, because I would not know
> >> which of my recent Restore Points also contained that
> >> infection (be it virus/worm/malware/spyware).
> >> Unfortunately, the way System Restore is set up, you
> >> only have two choices: Either turning off System
> >> Restore which deletes ALL Restore Points, or using the
> >> Disk Cleanup/More Options tab/System Restore Clean up
> >> button, which removes all but the most recent Restore
> >> Point. So, if I knew that a Restore Point from last
> >> month was not infected, there is no native Windows XP
> >> way to retain that Restore Point while deleting all of

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:06:00 PM

>> "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi usasma
>> >
>> > Thanks for responding.
>> >
>> > I downloaded a clock that gives the "day - mmm, dd ,yy - time" that
>> > sits
>> > on
>> > top of the Windows clock and a program to eliminate those cursed
>> > balloons,
>> > but those programs didn't change the registry. (I'm very careful about
>> > installing anything that will affect my registery and I keep a copy of
>> > my
>> > registry file on a disk just in case.) After I completed the system
>> > restore,
>> > I reinstalled the clock and balloon eliminator and my view settings
>> > didn't
>> > change to Classic again, so I don't think they caused the problem. The
>> > program to eliminate the balloons doesn't work as I still get them . .
>> > .
>> > grrrrr. :)
>> > Denise
>>
>> No need for software to eliminate Balloon Tips, goto the Key:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
>>
>> Create a new DWORD value, name it EnableBalloonTips, and set the value to
>> 0.
>>
>> rgds
>> Li'l Roberto
>
> ================================
>
> Hi Li'l Roberto,
>
> Thanks for answering my post. Your directions were too complicated for me
> .
> . . I had no idea what you meant. I've never gone into my registry and
> wouldn't know how to change anything and, to tell you the truth, I'd be
> afraid to do so because it's something that I don't understand.

Denise
well good for you, if it all sounds too complex then you have no
business poking around in the registry.
One of the regular MVPs - Kelly T has a reg file on her web site that
you can DL and it will do the same as my manual reg edit, without the
hassle !.

rgds
Li'l Roberto
July 8, 2005 5:18:55 AM

denisedenise wrote on Thu, 7 Jul 2005:

>Anyway, the last restore point that I created wasn't there when I needed it
>because my computer makes it's own daily restore points and deletes mine
>after 5 days. I don't like the fact that my computer does this because when
>I create a restore point, it is after I've run all the scans and I know that
>my computer is clean.
>
>So, another question . . . how can I tell my computer to create a restore
>point every few days instead of daily?

Hi Denise

I don't believe you can do that, and as Bert said, it wouldn't really be
a good idea anyway. If you want the computer to keep the restore point
you make yourself for longer, you need to allocate more disk space for
System Restore -- right-click My Computer > Properties > System Restore.
But again, going back to a restore point made weeks ago could give you
more problems than it solves.

If you are mainly concerned about being able to restore your Registry, I
think you might like an excellent free program called ERUNT, available
here:

It backs up and if necessary restores the Registry for you. You can set
it to run, for example, every day when you start up, and tell it how
long to keep the files; I have mine set for 7 days. Or you can run it
manually before installing a program, then if you decide you don't like
the new app, uninstall and restore your registry to be sure you've got
rid of all traces. It works very well and I can really recommend it.

If you'd like to try it and have any problems setting it up, please feel
free to email me and I'll be glad to help.

Best wishes,

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Hi Nightowl,

Thanks for your response. I won't be changing the frequency of the
automatic restore points that my computer makes. I can't increase it because
my computer allows only 12% and even though I have 80 gigs, it allows me only
4000+ mb for it. I manually make copies of my registry every day so if
anything goes seriously wrong, I can fix it. The more programs that I put
into my computer to do things automatically, the more problems I have with my
computer, and some of them don't work in my computer. I don't know why
because I use them as directed, but it happens. I downloaded a program to
get rid of the pointer, balloon, tips and all pop-ups yesterday and it worked
for a while, but the pop-ups came back. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it
today but the pop-ups still appear. I also downloaded a new clock that
includes ddd - mmm, dd - hh:mm and I lost my XP view and the only option that
I had was Classic View. The only way to get XP view back was to restore my
computer. So I'm giving up on downloading anymore programs for a while, even
ones that could be helpful. I think I walk this earth hand-in-hand with
Murphey's Law, lol, but thanks for the tips. I might decide to try the
program somewhere down the road, if I get bored and wouldn't mind wrestling
with something.

Denise

==========================

"Nightowl" wrote:

> denisedenise wrote on Thu, 7 Jul 2005:
>
> >Anyway, the last restore point that I created wasn't there when I needed it
> >because my computer makes it's own daily restore points and deletes mine
> >after 5 days. I don't like the fact that my computer does this because when
> >I create a restore point, it is after I've run all the scans and I know that
> >my computer is clean.
> >
> >So, another question . . . how can I tell my computer to create a restore
> >point every few days instead of daily?
>

> Hi Denise
>
> I don't believe you can do that, and as Bert said, it wouldn't really be
> a good idea anyway. If you want the computer to keep the restore point
> you make yourself for longer, you need to allocate more disk space for
> System Restore -- right-click My Computer > Properties > System Restore.
> But again, going back to a restore point made weeks ago could give you
> more problems than it solves.
>
> If you are mainly concerned about being able to restore your Registry, I
> think you might like an excellent free program called ERUNT, available
> here:
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>
> It backs up and if necessary restores the Registry for you. You can set
> it to run, for example, every day when you start up, and tell it how
> long to keep the files; I have mine set for 7 days. Or you can run it
> manually before installing a program, then if you decide you don't like
> the new app, uninstall and restore your registry to be sure you've got
> rid of all traces. It works very well and I can really recommend it.
>
> If you'd like to try it and have any problems setting it up, please feel
> free to email me and I'll be glad to help.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> --
> Nightowl

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:18:56 AM

Hi Nightowl,

Yes, the time interval that restore points are automatically created
can be changed via a registry setting, but it's a bad idea. She also
has over 4.5 GB's of space to hold restore points. That's to big. I
have suggested she reduce it to around 1 GB. Having more than two
weeks of restore points is kinda useless.

ERUNT is a good product. I wonder what she is using to backup the
registry!

--

Nightowl wrote:
> I don't believe you can do that, and as Bert said, it
> wouldn't really be a good idea anyway. If you want the
> computer to keep the restore point you make yourself for
> longer, you need to allocate more disk space for System
> Restore -- right-click My Computer > Properties > System
> Restore. But again, going back to a restore point made
> weeks ago could give you more problems than it solves.
> If you are mainly concerned about being able to restore
> your Registry, I think you might like an excellent free
> program called ERUNT, available here:
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>
> It backs up and if necessary restores the Registry for
> you. You can set it to run, for example, every day when
> you start up, and tell it how long to keep the files; I
> have mine set for 7 days. Or you can run it manually
> before installing a program, then if you decide you don't
> like the new app, uninstall and restore your registry to
> be sure you've got rid of all traces. It works very well
> and I can really recommend it.
> If you'd like to try it and have any problems setting it
> up, please feel free to email me and I'll be glad to help.
>
> Best wishes,
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:18:57 AM

Hey you guys! I'm not "she" . . . I'm Denise :)

And, I don't have 4.5 gigs of space to hold restore points. I have only
4000+ mb and that's the max my computer will allow.

I don't actually back up my registry. Start > run > regedit > file > export
> F drive (disc). I wouldn't dare edit my registry but the copy is a
safeguard for Windows installation. I can recover my Windows configuration
by restoring the backup if something goes wrong.

So far, nothing has gone wrong with my computer until I installed the stupid
clock (except that my RAM went bad and I had to replace it). I need my
computer and I take very good care of it. I learned a lot from a computer
tech/almost engineer, and I don't touch anything that isn't broken. That's
the reason I don't download a program that may or may not be useful in the
future.

But I really do appreciate all your advice. I've bookmarked all the URL's
that you've all given me, just in case.

Denise

==========================

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Nightowl,
>
> Yes, the time interval that restore points are automatically created
> can be changed via a registry setting, but it's a bad idea. She also
> has over 4.5 GB's of space to hold restore points. That's to big. I
> have suggested she reduce it to around 1 GB. Having more than two
> weeks of restore points is kinda useless.
>
> ERUNT is a good product. I wonder what she is using to backup the
> registry!
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Nightowl wrote:
> > I don't believe you can do that, and as Bert said, it
> > wouldn't really be a good idea anyway. If you want the
> > computer to keep the restore point you make yourself for
> > longer, you need to allocate more disk space for System
> > Restore -- right-click My Computer > Properties > System
> > Restore. But again, going back to a restore point made
> > weeks ago could give you more problems than it solves.
> > If you are mainly concerned about being able to restore
> > your Registry, I think you might like an excellent free
> > program called ERUNT, available here:
> > http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
> >
> > It backs up and if necessary restores the Registry for
> > you. You can set it to run, for example, every day when
> > you start up, and tell it how long to keep the files; I
> > have mine set for 7 days. Or you can run it manually
> > before installing a program, then if you decide you don't
> > like the new app, uninstall and restore your registry to
> > be sure you've got rid of all traces. It works very well
> > and I can really recommend it.
> > If you'd like to try it and have any problems setting it
> > up, please feel free to email me and I'll be glad to help.
> >
> > Best wishes,

July 8, 2005 5:18:58 AM

denisedenise wrote:

Answers inline:

<snip>

> And, I don't have 4.5 gigs of space to hold restore points. I have only
> 4000+ mb and that's the max my computer will allow.

Denise 1000 MB is about 1 gb so having 4000+ is having more than 4 GB...lol

> I don't actually back up my registry. Start > run > regedit > file > export
>
>>F drive (disc).

That is not a good way to backup the registry. The full registry can't
be restored if something goes wrong.

Better is to use ERUNT, a free program that backups the regsitry and
allows for recovery of the registry from the recovery console. Get it
from here:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt...

[Installing & Using ERUNT]
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm

http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt-setup.exe

<snip>

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Sounds like you have a Fat32 file system there.

denisedenise wrote:

> Hey you guys! I'm not "she" . . . I'm Denise :)
>
> And, I don't have 4.5 gigs of space to hold restore points. I have only
> 4000+ mb and that's the max my computer will allow.
>
> I don't actually back up my registry. Start > run > regedit > file > export
>
>>F drive (disc). I wouldn't dare edit my registry but the copy is a
>
> safeguard for Windows installation. I can recover my Windows configuration
> by restoring the backup if something goes wrong.
>
> So far, nothing has gone wrong with my computer until I installed the stupid
> clock (except that my RAM went bad and I had to replace it). I need my
> computer and I take very good care of it. I learned a lot from a computer
> tech/almost engineer, and I don't touch anything that isn't broken. That's
> the reason I don't download a program that may or may not be useful in the
> future.
>
> But I really do appreciate all your advice. I've bookmarked all the URL's
> that you've all given me, just in case.
>
> Denise
>
> ==========================
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>

>>Hi Nightowl,
>>
>>Yes, the time interval that restore points are automatically created
>>can be changed via a registry setting, but it's a bad idea. She also
>>has over 4.5 GB's of space to hold restore points. That's to big. I
>>have suggested she reduce it to around 1 GB. Having more than two
>>weeks of restore points is kinda useless.
>>
>>ERUNT is a good product. I wonder what she is using to backup the
>>registry!
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>http://dts-l.org/
>>
>>Nightowl wrote:
>>
>>>I don't believe you can do that, and as Bert said, it
>>>wouldn't really be a good idea anyway. If you want the
>>>computer to keep the restore point you make yourself for
>>>longer, you need to allocate more disk space for System
>>>Restore -- right-click My Computer > Properties > System
>>>Restore. But again, going back to a restore point made
>>>weeks ago could give you more problems than it solves.
>>>If you are mainly concerned about being able to restore
>>>your Registry, I think you might like an excellent free
>>>program called ERUNT, available here:
>>>http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>>>
>>>It backs up and if necessary restores the Registry for
>>>you. You can set it to run, for example, every day when
>>>you start up, and tell it how long to keep the files; I
>>>have mine set for 7 days. Or you can run it manually
>>>before installing a program, then if you decide you don't
>>>like the new app, uninstall and restore your registry to
>>>be sure you've got rid of all traces. It works very well
>>>and I can really recommend it.
>>>If you'd like to try it and have any problems setting it
>>>up, please feel free to email me and I'll be glad to help.
>>>
>>>Best wishes,

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:34:02 PM

Here I sit with egg on my face, lol.

"Rock" wrote:

> denisedenise wrote:
>
> Answers inline:
>
> <snip>
>
> > And, I don't have 4.5 gigs of space to hold restore points. I have only
> > 4000+ mb and that's the max my computer will allow.
>
> Denise 1000 MB is about 1 gb so having 4000+ is having more than 4 GB...lol
>

> > I don't actually back up my registry. Start > run > regedit > file > export
> >
> >>F drive (disc).
>
> That is not a good way to backup the registry. The full registry can't
> be restored if something goes wrong.
>
> Better is to use ERUNT, a free program that backups the regsitry and
> allows for recovery of the registry from the recovery console. Get it
> from here:
>
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt...
>
> [Installing & Using ERUNT]
> http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
> http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm
>
> http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt-setup.exe
>
> <snip>
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:50:05 PM

Yes, I do.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Sounds like you have a Fat32 file system there.
>
> denisedenise wrote:
>
> > Hey you guys! I'm not "she" . . . I'm Denise :)
> >
> > And, I don't have 4.5 gigs of space to hold restore points. I have only
> > 4000+ mb and that's the max my computer will allow.
> >
> > I don't actually back up my registry. Start > run > regedit > file > export
> >
> >>F drive (disc). I wouldn't dare edit my registry but the copy is a
> >
> > safeguard for Windows installation. I can recover my Windows configuration
> > by restoring the backup if something goes wrong.
> >
> > So far, nothing has gone wrong with my computer until I installed the stupid
> > clock (except that my RAM went bad and I had to replace it). I need my
> > computer and I take very good care of it. I learned a lot from a computer
> > tech/almost engineer, and I don't touch anything that isn't broken. That's
> > the reason I don't download a program that may or may not be useful in the
> > future.
> >
> > But I really do appreciate all your advice. I've bookmarked all the URL's
> > that you've all given me, just in case.
> >
> > Denise
> >
> > ==========================
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >

> >>Hi Nightowl,
> >>
> >>Yes, the time interval that restore points are automatically created
> >>can be changed via a registry setting, but it's a bad idea. She also
> >>has over 4.5 GB's of space to hold restore points. That's to big. I
> >>have suggested she reduce it to around 1 GB. Having more than two
> >>weeks of restore points is kinda useless.
> >>
> >>ERUNT is a good product. I wonder what she is using to backup the
> >>registry!
> >>
> >>--
> >>Regards,
> >>Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >>http://dts-l.org/

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:17:01 PM

Well I checked out ERUNT and I didn't like it . . . it's too involved for me,
setting strings and all. I then checked out Backup and decided to create a
backup of System State data and the programs that I have in my computer. I
have a Windows XP Pro disc if anything happens to Windows. These are all
good preventative measures and I'm glad that you pointed it out to me.

Many thanks to all of you . . . Denise

"Rock" wrote:

> denisedenise wrote:
>
> Answers inline:
>
> <snip>
>
> > And, I don't have 4.5 gigs of space to hold restore points. I have only
> > 4000+ mb and that's the max my computer will allow.
>
> Denise 1000 MB is about 1 gb so having 4000+ is having more than 4 GB...lol
>

> > I don't actually back up my registry. Start > run > regedit > file > export
> >
> >>F drive (disc).
>
> That is not a good way to backup the registry. The full registry can't
> be restored if something goes wrong.
>
> Better is to use ERUNT, a free program that backups the regsitry and
> allows for recovery of the registry from the recovery console. Get it
> from here:
>
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt...
>
> [Installing & Using ERUNT]
> http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
> http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm
>
> http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt-setup.exe
>
> <snip>
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 8, 2005 6:19:23 PM

denisedenise wrote on Thu, 7 Jul 2005:

>Hi Nightowl,
>
>Thanks for your response. I won't be changing the frequency of the
>automatic restore points that my computer makes. I can't increase it because
>my computer allows only 12% and even though I have 80 gigs, it allows me only
>4000+ mb for it.

Hi Denise

I didn't realise you had it set so high. As Bert said, that is *way* too
much. I have mine set to 1075MB, which is 3% of my drive. I just checked
in System Restore and I currently have 9 days' worth of restore points,
12 actual points because some days have more than one. I really wouldn't
want to "go back" that far anyway.

Why not try resetting the amount of space you allow to about the same,
then don't turn it off and monitor it for a week or so to see if your
restore points are being kept? If you then don't get to keep them longer
than 5 days (and you haven't been madly installing tons of software), it
is not working properly and one of the experts here will help you.

> I manually make copies of my registry every day so if
>anything goes seriously wrong, I can fix it.

Hmm, well, I'm cheating here because I've read what you said further up
the thread about exporting your registry. But as Rock said in his reply,
this isn't really a good way to do it. This is from the "readme" file
that comes with ERUNT:

>Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) for
>making a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the
>whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive
>is saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the
>current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file,
>it is merged with the current registry without deleting anything that
>has been added since the export, leaving you with an absolute mess of
>old and new entries.

[Denise]
>The more programs that I put
>into my computer to do things automatically, the more problems I have with my
>computer, and some of them don't work in my computer. I don't know why
>because I use them as directed, but it happens. I downloaded a program to
>get rid of the pointer, balloon, tips and all pop-ups yesterday and it worked
>for a while, but the pop-ups came back. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it
>today but the pop-ups still appear. I also downloaded a new clock that
>includes ddd - mmm, dd - hh:mm and I lost my XP view and the only option that
>I had was Classic View. The only way to get XP view back was to restore my
>computer. So I'm giving up on downloading anymore programs for a while, even
>ones that could be helpful.

Well, I can understand that you don't want to cause yourself problems,
but it's a shame if it makes you afraid to change anything on your
computer or try new programs. There is always help around, from Google
and newsgroups like this one.

> I think I walk this earth hand-in-hand with
>Murphey's Law, lol, but thanks for the tips. I might decide to try the
>program somewhere down the road, if I get bored and wouldn't mind wrestling
>with something.

Okay, your choice. As I said, feel free to mail me if you do try ERUNT
and need any help setting it up. Take care.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Sorry about that Denise, my mistake.

denisedenise wrote:
> Hey you guys! I'm not "she" . . . I'm Denise :)
>
> And, I don't have 4.5 gigs of space to hold restore
> points. I have only 4000+ mb and that's the max my
> computer will allow.

Yes, you have around 4.5 GB's.
Here's a conversion chart.
1,024 Byte = 1 Kilobyte (KB)
1,024 Kilobyte (KB) = 1 Megabyte (MB)
1,073,741,824 Bytes = 1 Gigabyte (GB)
1 Gigabyte (GB) = 1,024 Megabyte (MB)

>> I don't actually back up my registry. Start > run > regedit > file
>> > export
>> F drive (disc). I wouldn't dare edit my registry but the copy is a
>> safeguard for Windows installation. I can recover my
>> Windows configuration by restoring the backup if
>> something goes wrong.

ERUNT is a much better alternative. If windows doesn't start a
registry restore can still be performed.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:46:01 AM

Hi all . . . you're becoming like family to me :)

Okay, this is funny and it's not funny. TweakUI ver 2.10 was already
installed in my computer on 6/25/03 but I didn't know it . . . there was no
icon for it in my program list. So I downloaded it and installed it and when
the wizard was finished, there was no icon on my desktop. So I did a search
for TweakUI and found that it had already been installed, as I said, on
6/25/03, which I don't understand because I had my computer reformatted in
March-April of this year. Anyway, when I opened TweakUI, I saw the "Enable
Balloon Tip" box was already unchecked. I also downloaded and ran
disableall.reg from kellys-korner two times and I still get the pointer tips.
So it looks like I'll have to grin and bear those very annoying and juvenile
little yellow boxes that pop up every time I point to something. *mumble,
grumble, swear, miffed*

Denise

!