Sign in with
Your question

Hardware Decoder Card

Last response: in Storage
September 3, 2004 9:28:50 AM

I bought an old Creative Labs DVD-ROM around, oh, 4 years ago and I remember it came with a hardware decoder card. Nowadays I never see these around anymore. Is this because everything is done by software decoding and comps are fast enough to handle it, or...?

My question is, I bought a new Pioneer DVD drive and want to play DVD movies in it. Should I use my old DVD decoder card? Will that improve performance?

Thanks,

Dan

P4c 3.2Ghz @ 800MHz Northwood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB Corsair XMS-Pro CL2 Pc3200 / 160GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache / BFG-Tech Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb / Antec Sonata case w/Antec TruePower 380W PSU

More about : hardware decoder card

September 27, 2004 5:30:02 AM

Processors are currently easily powerful enough to handle DVD decoding.

I suppose if you have a spare PCI slot and want to do a lot of multitasking while DVDs play you could install the DVD decoder card (As long as you had drivers for whatever ver. of Windows you run) but it probably isn't necessary.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
September 27, 2004 9:30:58 PM

I believe anything over 700 or 800 mhz plays DVD movies fine without a decoder.
But the decoder should not hurt performance, so what the heck.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!
October 4, 2004 2:44:30 AM

See what the difference is. The nV40s do support hardware DVD decoding themselves, if you're using DVD playback software that supports them. ATi cards also offer hardware accelerated DVD playback. That actually brings up a good point - if you try the decoding card you'll need to use software that supports it.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.7 i815*
!