XP SP2 running slower

I have an HP with XP SP2. I have Ad Aware SE, Spybot Search and Destry,
CWShredder and Spyware Blaster all up to date. Also antivirus up to date. No
problems with any of them at all. My computer is starting to run slower and
slower. I have an Intel Celeron CPU 2.20Ghz with 248MB of Ram. I have about
25GB of free space on my hard drive. Is there a free program that will be
able to check my computer out in all areas and fix the troubles. I know if I
have any kind of registry cleaner that I will create a restor point before
doing that. PLEASE, help as this is really getting to me.

Also a note, I have defraged and deleated temp files and ran chdisk and
deleated cookies. Everything I could think of doing does not work.

"Allan" wrote:

> I have an HP with XP SP2. I have Ad Aware SE, Spybot Search and Destry,
> CWShredder and Spyware Blaster all up to date. Also antivirus up to date. No
> problems with any of them at all. My computer is starting to run slower and
> slower. I have an Intel Celeron CPU 2.20Ghz with 248MB of Ram. I have about
> 25GB of free space on my hard drive. Is there a free program that will be
> able to check my computer out in all areas and fix the troubles. I know if I
> have any kind of registry cleaner that I will create a restor point before
> doing that. PLEASE, help as this is really getting to me.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Allan wrote:

> I have an HP with XP SP2. I have Ad Aware SE, Spybot Search and Destry,
> CWShredder and Spyware Blaster all up to date. Also antivirus up to date. No
> problems with any of them at all. My computer is starting to run slower and
> slower. I have an Intel Celeron CPU 2.20Ghz with 248MB of Ram. I have about
> 25GB of free space on my hard drive. Is there a free program that will be
> able to check my computer out in all areas and fix the troubles. I know if I
> have any kind of registry cleaner that I will create a restor point before
> doing that. PLEASE, help as this is really getting to me.

Don't bother with a registry cleaner. See this link for some tips:

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Allan wrote:
> I have an HP with XP SP2. I have Ad Aware SE, Spybot Search and Destry,
> CWShredder and Spyware Blaster all up to date. Also antivirus up to date. No
> problems with any of them at all. My computer is starting to run slower and
> slower. I have an Intel Celeron CPU 2.20Ghz with 248MB of Ram. I have about
> 25GB of free space on my hard drive. Is there a free program that will be
> able to check my computer out in all areas and fix the troubles. I know if I
> have any kind of registry cleaner that I will create a restor point before
> doing that. PLEASE, help as this is really getting to me.

Try here for registry cleaners, but be warned, they can completely rince
your computer (ie stop it booting) use with caution.

All these are freeware

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwregtools.html
--
MCR