Can I add 2x512 with a 1G?

sreeni

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
I am buying an Athlon 64 3400+, MSI Neo Plat Mobo and 1G of "OCZ Performance Series 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200 - Retail"
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-969&depa=0

I saw that locally they are selling 512x2 (1GB) of OCZ 3200 Memory for $119. As the mobo has 3 slots, can I add this memory to it and get 2G. Will there be any issues and will it work?

BTW, I think I need 2G because I am planning on doing a lot of Adobe Premiere and Photoshop type stuff. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.
Sreeni

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sreeni on 09/03/04 03:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I don't know if you'll need 2gb of memory. That is a lot of memory, even for photoshop. Filling the three slots with memory should work but they will resort to the timings of the slowest memory (probably the 1gb stick.) I would just get the two sticks of the OCZ stuff for $120. If you find you need more memory then buy another stick of 512mb or even 1gb.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Yes, you can add 2 512MB module to a 1 gig module and it will all work fine. I am not too sure you need all of it though. Unless you plan on doing a lot of video streaming and video editing 1gig will be more then enough to handle anything you will be doing in Photoshop and Premiere.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com

RichPLS

Champion
Why not just add another 1gig chip, saving the 3rd slot for that future 1gig, which would give you 3 gigs.
With 2 gigs and greater, you can disable your swap file, for increased performance.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!