Sign in with
Your question

What local retail stores still sell CRT monitors?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 3, 2007 1:49:26 PM

Hello,

I live in Los Angeles, CA area. I'd like to know if there are any stores that still sell new CRT monitors (17" size). I am still not impressed with LCD monitors because I don't always use the native screen resolutions, have accurate colors as CRT, refresh since I play games and watch videos (especially action ones), etc.

Thank you in advance. :) 
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2007 5:52:59 PM

Quote:
Hello,

I live in Los Angeles, CA area. I'd like to know if there are any stores that still sell new CRT monitors (17" size). I am still not impressed with LCD monitors because I don't always use the native screen resolutions, have accurate colors as CRT, refresh since I play games and watch videos (especially action ones), etc.

They still sell cheap quality Compaq 17" curved screen CRTs; I wouldn't buy one, but they do.

Anyways, best way to get one is order online or try something like Craigslist.com to see if someone is selling a used one (you can find some good ones) -- that is if you can't find any stores that are selling them.

Regarding LCDs, they are just fine in terms of accurate colors. If anything is off, then you can get a calibration device.
Native resolutions are not as much of an issue for games as they are for the desktop.
Refresh rate is not an issue, however response times on LCDs is an issue for motion (for almost all LCDs).
Movies are ok on LCD in terms of response time. It is mostly games where you notice it the most where you are trying to follow a moving object and spot details on the moving object -- which you cannot fully do due to response time.
February 3, 2007 6:12:01 PM

Quote:
Hello,

They still sell cheap quality Compaq 17" curved screen CRTs; I wouldn't buy one, but they do.

Anyways, best way to get one is order online or try something like Craigslist.com to see if someone is selling a used one (you can find some good ones) -- that is if you can't find any stores that are selling them.

Regarding LCDs, they are just fine in terms of accurate colors. If anything is off, then you can get a calibration device.
Native resolutions are not as much of an issue for games as they are for the desktop.
Refresh rate is not an issue, however response times on LCDs is an issue for motion (for almost all LCDs).
Movies are ok on LCD in terms of response time. It is mostly games where you notice it the most where you are trying to follow a moving object and spot details on the moving object -- which you cannot fully do due to response time.Yeah, I read negative comments about those cheap CRTs. Ick! I will take LCD monitors if that is the case.

As for online order, I would need to see the monitors in person to see which ones I like. I need samples before I buy one. I don't want to kick myself if I don't like it.

As for colors, are they still excellent with VGA connection? I can't use DVI because I still need my old KVM when sharing computers. I noticed the newer KVMs with DVI USB (can't find any with PS/2) and cables are EXPENSIVE (over 200 bucks for a KVM without cables!). I can always get DVI setup later on (probably a few years). I do some graphic works and watching videos especially with HDTV videos (have a HDTV tuner card).

As for games, yes I play a lot of FPS games. :)  Native resolutions are problematic because I use for testing, MAME, etc.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2007 7:24:18 PM

If you find a Sony Trinitron or NEC Diamondtron model, that should be a pretty good choice. I'd also check the refresh rate to see if it goes really high at the higher resolutions. Also, if the monitor has the ability to adjust the geometry by regions via the menu, then it is an even higher quality model.
February 3, 2007 7:29:48 PM

Quote:
If you find a Sony Trinitron or NEC Diamondtron model, that should be a pretty good choice. I'd also check the refresh rate to see if it goes really high at the higher resolutions. Also, if the monitor has the ability to adjust the geometry by regions via the menu, then it is an even higher quality model.
Yeah, Sony Trinitron were great. I used to have an IBM P72 monitor that used this monitor technology. I was very happy with it until its EEPROM(?) got hosed or something and monitor went dark.

Unfortunately, I had to buy a Samsung SyncMaster 763 MB monitor (CRT) back in 2002 which is slowly dying as I type. I had to use 1152x864 as maximum resolution to stay at 75hz. 1280x1024 was 60hz. :(  Also, the screen isn't really flat.
February 10, 2007 1:31:46 AM

Unfortunately, I haven't seen CRTs in local stores recently. I'm in a similar boat as you, in that I still use CRTs.

I use Trinitron or Diamondtron monitors. I have a 22" Iiyama Diamondtron monitor that is pretty nice. I've ordered my last 2 Iiyama's online from iiyama-mart.com, and had no problem with either order.

On a side note, a previous poster mentioned that native resolution was not much of an issue for gaming nowadays. Can someone please explain that? I still play older games sometimes that may be limited to a lower resolution. Additionally, I generally choose to play games at 1024x768 even if I could go higher, because I want smoother framerate, and also because the UI in games gets too small for my substandard eyesight if I go higher than that resolution. I've tested some LCDs and cannot tolerate the jagged lines and blurry fonts I get when I run at a non-native resolution.
February 10, 2007 2:50:51 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I haven't seen CRTs in local stores recently. I'm in a similar boat as you, in that I still use CRTs.

I use Trinitron or Diamondtron monitors. I have a 22" Iiyama Diamondtron monitor that is pretty nice. I've ordered my last 2 Iiyama's online from iiyama-mart.com, and had no problem with either order.

On a side note, a previous poster mentioned that native resolution was not much of an issue for gaming nowadays. Can someone please explain that? I still play older games sometimes that may be limited to a lower resolution. Additionally, I generally choose to play games at 1024x768 even if I could go higher, because I want smoother framerate, and also because the UI in games gets too small for my substandard eyesight if I go higher than that resolution. I've tested some LCDs and cannot tolerate the jagged lines and blurry fonts I get when I run at a non-native resolution.
Use scaling in the driver/monitor options if possible. Of course, DVI is needed for this. I am using VGA and I can't do that until I switch to DVI. :( 
!