Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell Inspiron B120 RAM question

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 15, 2009 1:39:52 AM

Picked up an amazing deal on a Dell Inspiron B120 for my girlfriend. It has a 1.4 Celeron 256MB MB RAM a 40GB HD, CD-RW/DVD, came with Win XP Home and some other various software and I only paid $50 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Here however is my conundrum, I am looking to upgrade the ram for her and purchased a stick of 512MB DDR 333 for such use however I have looked up the specs and I am getting conflicting information from several sites. Some sites say the B120 takes DDR RAM others say PC4200 DDR2. It doesn't really matter to me as I have a couple spare DDR2 sticks in there I'm just seeing if I can get a definitive answer so that I can know whether to trek back downtown to return this other stick I purchased. I am considering just keeping it until Thursday when I will be doing the upgrade. If anyone has a definitive answer though just for reference before I even open it up that'd be great. Like I said doesn't matter either way since I have both types of RAM available just really curious is all.
April 15, 2009 7:16:14 AM

I suggest you search for the specs on Dell's website. Surely they've go details on B120?

And by the way where'd you buy it? Isn't the B120 already a 3-year-old model or something?
April 15, 2009 2:59:57 PM

I've got conflicting info even from Dell. on some parts of their site it states DDR on other parts DDR2. I'm thinking maybe the B120 was produced in several different SKU's over a few years all supporting different ram types. BTW I bought it used off a site similar to craigslist.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 16, 2009 2:51:46 AM

I think your best bet is to take a look at the memory already installed on your laptop. Maybe something's printed on it that indicates what type you need?
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2009 4:07:59 AM

overclockingrocks said:
I've got conflicting info even from Dell. on some parts of their site it states DDR on other parts DDR2. I'm thinking maybe the B120 was produced in several different SKU's over a few years all supporting different ram types. BTW I bought it used off a site similar to craigslist.


Yeah I looked at the memory selector for the unit and it was giving me DDR2-667 and 800 which doesn't make much sense to me.

Download CPU-z to the machine. It'll tell you just about everything you'd want to know about your CPU, RAM and motherboard.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
April 16, 2009 2:24:02 PM

yea I've got a copy of CPU-Z I use it all the time actually. I guess I'd find out what it's running when I open it up tonight to upgrade it when the gf comes over. I could probably get away with DDR2 533 if it does take DDR2 as it's running a 400FSB 1.4 Celeron 360
April 17, 2009 2:02:50 AM

overclockingrocks said:
yea I've got a copy of CPU-Z I use it all the time actually. I guess I'd find out what it's running when I open it up tonight to upgrade it when the gf comes over. I could probably get away with DDR2 533 if it does take DDR2 as it's running a 400FSB 1.4 Celeron 360

I don't get it, wouldn't your memory type become clear through CPU-z? In any case, keep us updated if you can :) 
April 17, 2009 2:11:41 AM

I hadn't put the copy of CPU-Z on it yet I only picked it up a couple days ago and had enough time to get it back to factory and tweak it before I surprised my gf with it the next day. FYI it was DDR2 RAM so I jammed in 1GB I had lying around and with XP it's blistering fast
August 19, 2011 11:03:47 PM

overclockingrocks said:
I hadn't put the copy of CPU-Z on it yet I only picked it up a couple days ago and had enough time to get it back to factory and tweak it before I surprised my gf with it the next day. FYI it was DDR2 RAM so I jammed in 1GB I had lying around and with XP it's blistering fast



Hi, I got this information for you.

Dell says it is: Inspiron B120 Support

DDR2 SDRAM 667 mhz

(PC2-5300) SO DIMM 200 pin

That`s the maximun Ram Speed Tranfer per second that your motherboard support. Also works fine with:

DDR2 SDRAM 533 mhz
(PC2-4200) SO DIM 200 Pin

But anybody want to put a lower RAM. Use DDR2 667. You need 2 modules of 1GB, cause the motherboard support 1GB per Slot.

I hope was helpfull.
!