Error Message - Selected boot device not available

July 5, 2005 9:06:02 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP Professional OS. My hard drive
crashed and I had to install another one. I had made a disaster recovery CD
before this happened thinking it would be perfect for situations like this.
I used the Dantz Retrospect backup program for this disaster recovery CD.
Unfortunately I can't use it because when I put it in the CD-ROM and try to
boot from it I get the "Selected boot device not available" message. I went
into the "boot" screen and changed the boot order so it would boot from the
CD but it still won't work. I even changed the boot order in the "setup
bios" screen to boot from the CD but still nothing.

I called Dell and they told me that you can only boot the PC with the
Windows XP CD - if this is true what good are the disaster recovery programs
if you can't get the machine to book from them like it is suppose to?

Is there something I am doing wrong or is Dell right? I wanted to use my
recovery CD so I wouldn't have to go thru the entire process of reloading all
my software programs from scratch. Can someone help me - How do you use
these recovery CDs you make if the machine won't boot from them?

More about : error message selected boot device

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:22:41 AM

Hello,

I am not aware of the backup program that you are using, but is the recovery CD that you are using
bootable ? Simply setting the CD-ROM device higher in the boot-priority would not enable you to boot
from any CD/DVD.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP Professional OS. My hard drive
> crashed and I had to install another one. I had made a disaster recovery CD
> before this happened thinking it would be perfect for situations like this.
> I used the Dantz Retrospect backup program for this disaster recovery CD.
> Unfortunately I can't use it because when I put it in the CD-ROM and try to
> boot from it I get the "Selected boot device not available" message. I went
> into the "boot" screen and changed the boot order so it would boot from the
> CD but it still won't work. I even changed the boot order in the "setup
> bios" screen to boot from the CD but still nothing.
>
> I called Dell and they told me that you can only boot the PC with the
> Windows XP CD - if this is true what good are the disaster recovery programs
> if you can't get the machine to book from them like it is suppose to?
>
> Is there something I am doing wrong or is Dell right? I wanted to use my
> recovery CD so I wouldn't have to go thru the entire process of reloading all
> my software programs from scratch. Can someone help me - How do you use
> these recovery CDs you make if the machine won't boot from them?
July 6, 2005 1:22:42 AM

The backup software is Retrospect 6.5 and the manufacturer is "Dantz". The
disaster recovery program says that after the backup process is complete you
burn a CD with the data on it so you can boot your machine and restore it.
All I know is the CD won't boot. Is this normal - is there something special
that needs to be done to make a CD bootable?

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am not aware of the backup program that you are using, but is the recovery CD that you are using
> bootable ? Simply setting the CD-ROM device higher in the boot-priority would not enable you to boot
> from any CD/DVD.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP Professional OS. My hard drive
> > crashed and I had to install another one. I had made a disaster recovery CD
> > before this happened thinking it would be perfect for situations like this.
> > I used the Dantz Retrospect backup program for this disaster recovery CD.
> > Unfortunately I can't use it because when I put it in the CD-ROM and try to
> > boot from it I get the "Selected boot device not available" message. I went
> > into the "boot" screen and changed the boot order so it would boot from the
> > CD but it still won't work. I even changed the boot order in the "setup
> > bios" screen to boot from the CD but still nothing.
> >
> > I called Dell and they told me that you can only boot the PC with the
> > Windows XP CD - if this is true what good are the disaster recovery programs
> > if you can't get the machine to book from them like it is suppose to?
> >
> > Is there something I am doing wrong or is Dell right? I wanted to use my
> > recovery CD so I wouldn't have to go thru the entire process of reloading all
> > my software programs from scratch. Can someone help me - How do you use
> > these recovery CDs you make if the machine won't boot from them?

July 6, 2005 1:43:19 AM

Hello,

I am not too familiar with this backup software. You might consider going through the product
documentation:

http://kb.dantz.com/utility/getfile.asp?rid=111

--

> The backup software is Retrospect 6.5 and the manufacturer is "Dantz". The
> disaster recovery program says that after the backup process is complete you
> burn a CD with the data on it so you can boot your machine and restore it.
> All I know is the CD won't boot. Is this normal - is there something special
> that needs to be done to make a CD bootable?
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am not aware of the backup program that you are using, but is the recovery CD that you are
>> using
>> bootable ? Simply setting the CD-ROM device higher in the boot-priority would not enable you to
>> boot
>> from any CD/DVD.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP Professional OS. My hard drive
>> > crashed and I had to install another one. I had made a disaster recovery CD
>> > before this happened thinking it would be perfect for situations like this.
>> > I used the Dantz Retrospect backup program for this disaster recovery CD.
>> > Unfortunately I can't use it because when I put it in the CD-ROM and try to
>> > boot from it I get the "Selected boot device not available" message. I went
>> > into the "boot" screen and changed the boot order so it would boot from the
>> > CD but it still won't work. I even changed the boot order in the "setup
>> > bios" screen to boot from the CD but still nothing.
>> >
>> > I called Dell and they told me that you can only boot the PC with the
>> > Windows XP CD - if this is true what good are the disaster recovery programs
>> > if you can't get the machine to book from them like it is suppose to?
>> >
>> > Is there something I am doing wrong or is Dell right? I wanted to use my
>> > recovery CD so I wouldn't have to go thru the entire process of reloading all
>> > my software programs from scratch. Can someone help me - How do you use
>> > these recovery CDs you make if the machine won't boot from them?

July 6, 2005 1:51:46 AM

Snip wrote:

> I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP Professional OS. My hard drive
> crashed and I had to install another one. I had made a disaster recovery CD
> before this happened thinking it would be perfect for situations like this.
> I used the Dantz Retrospect backup program for this disaster recovery CD.
> Unfortunately I can't use it because when I put it in the CD-ROM and try to
> boot from it I get the "Selected boot device not available" message. I went
> into the "boot" screen and changed the boot order so it would boot from the
> CD but it still won't work. I even changed the boot order in the "setup
> bios" screen to boot from the CD but still nothing.
>
> I called Dell and they told me that you can only boot the PC with the
> Windows XP CD - if this is true what good are the disaster recovery programs
> if you can't get the machine to book from them like it is suppose to?
>
> Is there something I am doing wrong or is Dell right? I wanted to use my
> recovery CD so I wouldn't have to go thru the entire process of reloading all
> my software programs from scratch. Can someone help me - How do you use
> these recovery CDs you make if the machine won't boot from them?

You might want to contact Dantz for tech support. As long as the BIOS
is able to boot from CD and the CD is created as a bootable CD, then it
should boot. The Windows XP installation CD is not the only one that
can boot up a computer.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi
For what its worth I was having a similar issue with a friends dell 4700. The machine would not boot from a bootable cd even after making changes in the bios setting. On my friends machine there are two cd drives. They both had a pin selection of cable select. I changed one to master and one to slave and that seemed to do the trick.
Best of luck
Paul.
Google How to set Jumper Pin settings on a CD rom for details on setting the pins.
!