Lost everything in Windows XP Professional Install

My friend installed a new OS (Windows XP PRO) and lost everything on her
computer. I need to know how to go back the old OS or find herold files. This
is a HUGE problem for her. I am working on my home computer to fix this for
her.
10 answers Last reply
More about lost windows professional install

    If your friend formatted the hard drive prior to the install, and then used
    the computer for a few days, there is not much chance of getting her files
    back. They have likely already been over written!

    If the files are irreplaceable, photos - tax returns - memories etc, you can
    try using one of the "expensive" file recovery services, such as
    www.ontrack.com. Did I say they are "very" expensive?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "HELP!" <HELP!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My friend installed a new OS (Windows XP PRO) and lost everything on her
    > computer. I need to know how to go back the old OS or find herold files.
    > This
    > is a HUGE problem for her. I am working on my home computer to fix this
    > for
    > her.

    She probably didn't format it. She just did this 2 hours ago. She thought she
    was installing MS Office. Is there any hope...?

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > If your friend formatted the hard drive prior to the install, and then used
    > the computer for a few days, there is not much chance of getting her files
    > back. They have likely already been over written!
    >
    > If the files are irreplaceable, photos - tax returns - memories etc, you can
    > try using one of the "expensive" file recovery services, such as
    > www.ontrack.com. Did I say they are "very" expensive?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "HELP!" <HELP!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My friend installed a new OS (Windows XP PRO) and lost everything on her
    > > computer. I need to know how to go back the old OS or find herold files.
    > > This
    > > is a HUGE problem for her. I am working on my home computer to fix this
    > > for
    > > her.

    Hi,

    Upgrade or clean installation? If an upgrade, what OS was upgraded and what
    file system was in use?

    Did she not make backups of important data as is recommended virtually
    anywhere you read about changing OS's?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "HELP!" <HELP!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My friend installed a new OS (Windows XP PRO) and lost everything on her
    > computer. I need to know how to go back the old OS or find herold files.
    > This
    > is a HUGE problem for her. I am working on my home computer to fix this
    > for
    > her.

    I believe she thought she was installing MS Office so I think it would be a
    clean install. She didn't back anything up, she didn't know she was
    installing a new OS. As you can guess she isn't too keen on computers.

    HELP! wrote:

    > I believe she thought she was installing MS Office so I think it would
    > be a clean install. She didn't back anything up, she didn't know she
    > was installing a new OS. As you can guess she isn't too keen on
    > computers.

    She should *immediately* stop working on the machine. Have her contact a
    professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of
    BigStoreUSA) and ask if they have data recovery software. If they do,
    she should take the machine to them and have them retrieve her data and
    install Windows for her.

    If there is no one where your friend lives who can do this, then contact
    a professional data recovery firm. DriveSavers is very well respected.
    Their site is www.drivesavers.com. Seagate has just started offering
    data recovery services, and Ontrack also does data recovery. These
    firms' services are not inexpensive, but only your friend can determine
    the worth of her data.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Data or Program Settings Are Missing After You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313362

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "HELP!" wrote:

    | I believe she thought she was installing MS Office so I think it would be a
    | clean install. She didn't back anything up, she didn't know she was
    | installing a new OS. As you can guess she isn't too keen on computers.

    Whether you install an OS, an application or just are tinkering with the
    registry or other configuration files, you should always have some type of
    back up on hand. I personally own 2 workstations, a Linux server and
    laptop - where I make a point to make a system backup of each weekly.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    >I believe she thought she was installing MS Office so I think it would be a
    > clean install. She didn't back anything up, she didn't know she was
    > installing a new OS. As you can guess she isn't too keen on computers.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Upgrade or clean installation? If an upgrade, what OS was upgraded and
    >> what
    >> file system was in use?
    >>
    >> Did she not make backups of important data as is recommended virtually
    >> anywhere you read about changing OS's?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "HELP!" <HELP!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My friend installed a new OS (Windows XP PRO) and lost everything on
    >> > her
    >> > computer. I need to know how to go back the old OS or find herold
    >> > files.
    >> > This
    >> > is a HUGE problem for her. I am working on my home computer to fix this
    >> > for
    >> > her.

    What Malke said. This sort of data recovery is not for the novice.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "HELP!" <HELP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I believe she thought she was installing MS Office so I think it would be a
    > clean install. She didn't back anything up, she didn't know she was
    > installing a new OS. As you can guess she isn't too keen on computers.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Upgrade or clean installation? If an upgrade, what OS was upgraded and
    >> what
    >> file system was in use?
    >>
    >> Did she not make backups of important data as is recommended virtually
    >> anywhere you read about changing OS's?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "HELP!" <HELP!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My friend installed a new OS (Windows XP PRO) and lost everything on
    >> > her
    >> > computer. I need to know how to go back the old OS or find herold
    >> > files.
    >> > This
    >> > is a HUGE problem for her. I am working on my home computer to fix this
    >> > for
    >> > her.

    A clean install means that she formatted the drive. Since neither of you
    really know what happened, I suggest you take it to someone who has
    appropriate software and knows what they're doing. The more you mess with
    it, the worse it's going to get.

    > She probably didn't format it. She just did this 2 hours ago. She thought
    she
    > was installing MS Office.

    ROTFLMAO!

    Seriously, the splash screen says "WINDOWS" if you are installing Windows
    and "OFFICE" if you are installing Office. How can anyome "mistake"
    installing Windows for Office?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP