Lost Standby Mode on upgrade of 98 to XP - Any help

July 6, 2005 2:27:46 AM

After upgrade from 98 to XP, I lost the standby feature. I would like to
findout how to turn it back on. The standby option can not be enabled in
the power management utility, which lead me to some info on the Compaq site
giving a warning.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Lott

lotts01@yahoo.com
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:27:47 AM

The lack of a Standby button indicates you are using XP's
generic VGA drivers.

Your video adapter drivers probably need to be reinstalled.
Visit the support web site of the manufacturer of your video
card adapter and download the latest drivers.

Before installing them, uninstall the old drivers. In your
Control Panel, open the Add or Remove Programs applet
and look for your video drivers to uninstall.

If you happen to have a notebook computer, visit the notebook
manufacturer's support website to download the correct video
adapter drivers for your specific notebook model.

After installing a fresh set of drivers, right-click on your
desktop and select Properties > Settings, change the Color
Quality to "Highest (32 bit), then adjust your Screen Resolution
to your liking, then click on Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"lotts01" wrote:

| After upgrade from 98 to XP, I lost the standby feature. I would like to
| findout how to turn it back on. The standby option can not be enabled in
| the power management utility, which lead me to some info on the Compaq site
| giving a warning.
|
| Any ideas how to fix this?
| Lott
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:58:45 AM

To add to Carey's post, did Compaq release XP drivers for your specific
hardware? After all, you state it had Win98, so I assume it came with it.
If Compaq did not release updated drivers (not just for XP but XP SP2), then
you may be out of luck. Hardware manufacturer's are responsible for
releasing hardware drivers, not MS, so if the hardware manufacturer decides
not to support the hardware under a new OS (which is entirely possible due
to the age of the hardware or it is not economically "profitable"), then you
are usually out of luck, that is, unless you can find you a hardware/driver
programmer who works cheap.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"lotts01" <lotts01@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After upgrade from 98 to XP, I lost the standby feature. I would like to
> findout how to turn it back on. The standby option can not be enabled in
> the power management utility, which lead me to some info on the Compaq
> site giving a warning.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
> Lott
>
> lotts01@yahoo.com

May 14, 2009 9:52:55 AM

plz help how to repair ( standby mode lost by using a command)
and whats the problem by windows not working properly.and the operating system failure.

yours trully
dindin
tnx just email me at dindindaligdigan@yahoo.com
!