System Restore Gone Wild

July 6, 2005 3:21:56 AM

I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.

Lately, I noticed that my hard disk space has been depleting for no apparent
reason.

I discovered that System Restore is setting restore points that are anywhere
from 1.5GB to 4.5GB. This occurs whenever I reboot the computer.

I have attempted to reduce the size of System Restore and I have tried
turning it off then on again.

Nothing helps. This behavior continues.

Anyone know what is going on here? Any fix?

Thanks.

More about : system restore wild

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 7:51:54 AM

Steve, if you rt clicked MyComputer>select Properties>System
Restore>Check Turn off System Restore on all drives. Then it should of
deleted all restore points at that time. If not, I would check for Malware
running on your system. You can
use these sites.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.webroot.com/

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=...

"Steve" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Lately, I noticed that my hard disk space has been depleting for no
> apparent reason.
>
> I discovered that System Restore is setting restore points that are
> anywhere from 1.5GB to 4.5GB. This occurs whenever I reboot the computer.
>
> I have attempted to reduce the size of System Restore and I have tried
> turning it off then on again.
>
> Nothing helps. This behavior continues.
>
> Anyone know what is going on here? Any fix?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:47:59 AM

Hi Steve,

I totally agree with Rich's point of view.If uncheck "Check Turn off System
Restore on all drives" didn't deleted all restore points,you need to check
for virus first.You may follow Rich's suggestions first. If the problem
persists, you may delete the restore points manually after you uncheck
"Check Turn off System Restore on all drives".

Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Steve" <nospam@nospam.com>
| Subject: System Restore Gone Wild
| Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:21:56 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.
|
| Lately, I noticed that my hard disk space has been depleting for no
apparent
| reason.
|
| I discovered that System Restore is setting restore points that are
anywhere
| from 1.5GB to 4.5GB. This occurs whenever I reboot the computer.
|
| I have attempted to reduce the size of System Restore and I have tried
| turning it off then on again.
|
| Nothing helps. This behavior continues.
|
| Anyone know what is going on here? Any fix?
|
| Thanks.

Related resources
July 6, 2005 5:59:10 PM

Thanks. But that is not the problem.

Turning off System Restore does delete the files and gives back my space,
BUT the problem is that every time I restart the computer it creates a
restore point that is about 1.5GB to 4.5GB in size. Thus if I turn off my
computer each night, by the end of the week the System Restore has used up
many gigabytes of hard drive space.

Is it normal for the System Restore to use 1.5GB - 4.5GB every time it
creates a restore point?

If not, what is causing this behavior and how do I stop it?

Steve

"Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Steve,
>
> I totally agree with Rich's point of view.If uncheck "Check Turn off
> System
> Restore on all drives" didn't deleted all restore points,you need to check
> for virus first.You may follow Rich's suggestions first. If the problem
> persists, you may delete the restore points manually after you uncheck
> "Check Turn off System Restore on all drives".
>
> Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Vincent Xu
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> --------------------
> | From: "Steve" <nospam@nospam.com>
> | Subject: System Restore Gone Wild
> | Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:21:56 -0400
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> |
> | I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.
> |
> | Lately, I noticed that my hard disk space has been depleting for no
> apparent
> | reason.
> |
> | I discovered that System Restore is setting restore points that are
> anywhere
> | from 1.5GB to 4.5GB. This occurs whenever I reboot the computer.
> |
> | I have attempted to reduce the size of System Restore and I have tried
> | turning it off then on again.
> |
> | Nothing helps. This behavior continues.
> |
> | Anyone know what is going on here? Any fix?
> |
> | Thanks.

July 6, 2005 6:01:08 PM

By the way, I have Norton AntiVirus and it is up to date and a scan says it
is clean. I have also run Lavasoft's program as well as Microsoft Anti Spam.
All are clean.

Steve

"Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Steve,
>
> I totally agree with Rich's point of view.If uncheck "Check Turn off
> System
> Restore on all drives" didn't deleted all restore points,you need to check
> for virus first.You may follow Rich's suggestions first. If the problem
> persists, you may delete the restore points manually after you uncheck
> "Check Turn off System Restore on all drives".
>
> Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Vincent Xu
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> --------------------
> | From: "Steve" <nospam@nospam.com>
> | Subject: System Restore Gone Wild
> | Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:21:56 -0400
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> |
> | I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.
> |
> | Lately, I noticed that my hard disk space has been depleting for no
> apparent
> | reason.
> |
> | I discovered that System Restore is setting restore points that are
> anywhere
> | from 1.5GB to 4.5GB. This occurs whenever I reboot the computer.
> |
> | I have attempted to reduce the size of System Restore and I have tried
> | turning it off then on again.
> |
> | Nothing helps. This behavior continues.
> |
> | Anyone know what is going on here? Any fix?
> |
> | Thanks.

July 6, 2005 6:04:30 PM

Oops, I meant Microsoft Anti Spyware showed nothing.

> Thanks. But that is not the problem.
>
> Turning off System Restore does delete the files and gives back my space,
> BUT the problem is that every time I restart the computer it creates a
> restore point that is about 1.5GB to 4.5GB in size. Thus if I turn off my
> computer each night, by the end of the week the System Restore has used up
> many gigabytes of hard drive space.
>
> Is it normal for the System Restore to use 1.5GB - 4.5GB every time it
> creates a restore point?
>
> If not, what is causing this behavior and how do I stop it?
>
> Steve
>
> "Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I totally agree with Rich's point of view.If uncheck "Check Turn off
>> System
>> Restore on all drives" didn't deleted all restore points,you need to
>> check
>> for virus first.You may follow Rich's suggestions first. If the problem
>> persists, you may delete the restore points manually after you uncheck
>> "Check Turn off System Restore on all drives".
>>
>> Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Vincent Xu
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support

>> --------------------
>> | From: "Steve" <nospam@nospam.com>
>> | Subject: System Restore Gone Wild
>> | Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:21:56 -0400
>> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>> |
>> | I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.
>> |
>> | Lately, I noticed that my hard disk space has been depleting for no
>> apparent
>> | reason.
>> |
>> | I discovered that System Restore is setting restore points that are
>> anywhere
>> | from 1.5GB to 4.5GB. This occurs whenever I reboot the computer.
>> |
>> | I have attempted to reduce the size of System Restore and I have tried
>> | turning it off then on again.
>> |
>> | Nothing helps. This behavior continues.
>> |
>> | Anyone know what is going on here? Any fix?
>> |
>> | Thanks.

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:51:02 PM

Hi Steve,

Based on my experience, it is a normal behavior of your situation. But you
needn't to turn off it every night ,you need only turn off it once,don't
turn it on. Or you can click "Settings" when you turn on the System Restore
and set low disk space.

I hopen my suggestions can helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Steve" <nospam@nospam.com>
| Subject: Re: System Restore Gone Wild
| Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:59:10 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Thanks. But that is not the problem.
|
| Turning off System Restore does delete the files and gives back my space,
| BUT the problem is that every time I restart the computer it creates a
| restore point that is about 1.5GB to 4.5GB in size. Thus if I turn off my
| computer each night, by the end of the week the System Restore has used
up
| many gigabytes of hard drive space.
|
| Is it normal for the System Restore to use 1.5GB - 4.5GB every time it
| creates a restore point?
|
| If not, what is causing this behavior and how do I stop it?
|
| Steve
|
| "Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hi Steve,
| >
| > I totally agree with Rich's point of view.If uncheck "Check Turn off
| > System
| > Restore on all drives" didn't deleted all restore points,you need to
check
| > for virus first.You may follow Rich's suggestions first. If the problem
| > persists, you may delete the restore points manually after you uncheck
| > "Check Turn off System Restore on all drives".
| >
| > Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.
| >

| > Best regards,
| >
| > Vincent Xu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Steve" <nospam@nospam.com>
| > | Subject: System Restore Gone Wild
| > | Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:21:56 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > |
| > | I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.
| > |
| > | Lately, I noticed that my hard disk space has been depleting for no
| > apparent
| > | reason.
| > |
| > | I discovered that System Restore is setting restore points that are
| > anywhere
| > | from 1.5GB to 4.5GB. This occurs whenever I reboot the computer.
| > |
| > | I have attempted to reduce the size of System Restore and I have tried
| > | turning it off then on again.
| > |
| > | Nothing helps. This behavior continues.
| > |
| > | Anyone know what is going on here? Any fix?
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

July 9, 2005 9:15:57 PM

I have set the use of disk space to 4% (2.7gb) but when I checked it today
it was using over 8GB! Each restore point was over 1.5GB and one was 4.9GB.

Why is it using so much space to create each System Restore Point?

This does not seem normal to me.

> Hi Steve,
>
> Based on my experience, it is a normal behavior of your situation. But you
> needn't to turn off it every night ,you need only turn off it once,don't
> turn it on. Or you can click "Settings" when you turn on the System
> Restore
> and set low disk space.
>
> I hopen my suggestions can helps.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vincent Xu
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> --------------------
> | From: "Steve" <nospam@nospam.com>
> | Subject: Re: System Restore Gone Wild
> | Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:59:10 -0400
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> |
> | Thanks. But that is not the problem.
> |
> | Turning off System Restore does delete the files and gives back my
> space,
> | BUT the problem is that every time I restart the computer it creates a
> | restore point that is about 1.5GB to 4.5GB in size. Thus if I turn off
> my
> | computer each night, by the end of the week the System Restore has used
> up
> | many gigabytes of hard drive space.
> |
> | Is it normal for the System Restore to use 1.5GB - 4.5GB every time it
> | creates a restore point?
> |
> | If not, what is causing this behavior and how do I stop it?
> |
> | Steve
> |
> | "Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > Hi Steve,
> | >
> | > I totally agree with Rich's point of view.If uncheck "Check Turn off
> | > System
> | > Restore on all drives" didn't deleted all restore points,you need to
> check
> | > for virus first.You may follow Rich's suggestions first. If the
> problem
> | > persists, you may delete the restore points manually after you uncheck
> | > "Check Turn off System Restore on all drives".
> | >
> | > Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.
> | >

> | > Best regards,
> | >
> | > Vincent Xu
> | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
> | >
> | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> | >

> | > --------------------
> | > |
> | > |
> | > apparent
> | > |
> | > anywhere
> | > |
> tried
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:17:32 PM

Hi Steve,

In my experience, System Restore will not consume so many disk space. I
suspect it may caused by some disk error.So I would like to suggest you try
these steps to free the disk space occupied by temporary files:

Perform a Disk Cleanup
---------------------
1. Open My computer, right click your system drive (usually, it is the C:
drive),
and click properties.
2. In the General tab, click Disk Cleanup.
3. Select all items listed on the Disk Cleanup tab.
4. On the More Options tab, click Clean Up in the System Restore box.
5. Click OK.

I also suggest you perform a scandisk to see if your disk got some error.

Perform a scandisk
---------------------
1. Open My computer, right click your system drive (usually, it is the C:
drive),
and click properties.
2. In the Tools tab, click Checking now
3. Select the 2 opitions.
5. Click Start.

Perform a defragment
---------------------
1. Open My computer, right click your system drive (usually, it is the C:
drive),
and click properties.
2. In the Tools tab, click defragment now.
3.Click defragment .

For your situation, I'd like to suggest you turn off the System Restore to
see if this issue occurs.

I also find 2 articles for your reference:

300044 How the System Restore Tool Handles Hard-Disk Space Usage
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300044

298915 System Restore Cannot Set Disk Space Usage to Certain Percentage
Numbers
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298915

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Steve" <nospam@nospam.com>
| Subject: Re: System Restore Gone Wild
| Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 17:15:57 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| I have set the use of disk space to 4% (2.7gb) but when I checked it
today
| it was using over 8GB! Each restore point was over 1.5GB and one was
4.9GB.

| Why is it using so much space to create each System Restore Point?
|
| This does not seem normal to me.
|
| Steve
|

| "Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hi Steve,
| >
| > Based on my experience, it is a normal behavior of your situation. But
you
| > needn't to turn off it every night ,you need only turn off it once,don't
| > turn it on. Or you can click "Settings" when you turn on the System
| > Restore
| > and set low disk space.
| >
| > I hopen my suggestions can helps.
| >
| > Best regards,
| >
| > Vincent Xu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Steve" <nospam@nospam.com>
| > | Subject: Re: System Restore Gone Wild
| > | Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:59:10 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > |
| > | Thanks. But that is not the problem.
| > |
| > | Turning off System Restore does delete the files and gives back my
| > space,
| > | BUT the problem is that every time I restart the computer it creates a
| > | restore point that is about 1.5GB to 4.5GB in size. Thus if I turn
off
| > my
| > | computer each night, by the end of the week the System Restore has
used
| > up
| > | many gigabytes of hard drive space.
| > |
| > | Is it normal for the System Restore to use 1.5GB - 4.5GB every time it
| > | creates a restore point?
| > |
| > | If not, what is causing this behavior and how do I stop it?
| > |
| > | Steve
| > |
| > | "Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| > check
| > problem

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > tried
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

January 2, 2014 6:13:25 AM

You could have LARGE amounts of data on your HDD. Get a 4TB HDD and clone to the 4TB.
!