Anyone playing Missing: Since Janaury?

Thom Kevin Gillespie wrote:

> Just curious.

I finished it quite some time ago (it's been released many months ago in
Europe) and wrote a long (very long, they pay by weight, heh) solution
for a (paper) magazine. In Italian, though, too bad...

that means you can contact me if stuck! :)

ciao

PS as a pico-review, let's say I found the concept very interesting but
the implementation usually lacking. Few puzzles are brilliant and most
minigames are quite annoying. Still, it has its great moments... one of
the biggest problems (although I can't imagine how the designers could
avoid it) is that, looking on the web for hints, you're bound to stumble
on solutions and walkthroughs more easily than on the "real" information
planted by the designers.

Stefano Gaburri <my_first_name@gaburri.net> wrote:

> PS as a pico-review, let's say I found the concept very interesting but
> the implementation usually lacking. Few puzzles are brilliant and most
> minigames are quite annoying. Still, it has its great moments... one of
> the biggest problems (although I can't imagine how the designers could
> avoid it) is that, looking on the web for hints, you're bound to stumble
> on solutions and walkthroughs more easily than on the "real" information
> planted by the designers.

It is a little cheesy. The beginning videos didn't work for me. Kept me
thinking of Riven online. Actually it didn't install correctly first time
thru so I thought the installation problems were part of the game design
and thought it was brilliant until I realized the real screen was covered.

I also look at this game and wonder why they designed it for a PC other
than as a way to charge for the game. It definitely looks like a game
which screams to be totally online platform independent.

Thanks, Thom

Thom Kevin Gillespie wrote:

> I also look at this game and wonder why they designed it for a PC other
> than as a way to charge for the game. It definitely looks like a game
> which screams to be totally online platform independent.

it's an industry thing: nobody is going to pay that much for the
"license to play something online". Owning a DVD case with 3 CDs,
however, is well deserving shelling out 40 bucks or whatever... at least
this is the current psychology. It's the same reason why people keep
downloading from the web and burning stuff they'll always be able to
download again :)

ciao

In article <2nhfsnFuu2oU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Stefano Gaburri <my_first_name@gaburri.net> wrote:
>It's the same reason why people keep
>downloading from the web and burning stuff they'll always be able to
>download again :)

Would that that were true. I don't have copies of Object-Oriented
INTERCAL (to which I contributed the compiler name: "oo, ick" (with
embedded space and comma) or dd-sh, because I knew I could always get
them from assurdo.com.

Then it went away.

There was much sadness.

Adam

Adam Thornton wrote:

> Would that that were true. I don't have copies of Object-Oriented
> INTERCAL (to which I contributed the compiler name: "oo, ick" (with
> embedded space and comma) or dd-sh, because I knew I could always get
> them from assurdo.com.

heh, i can figure it... anyway, I was referring to people downloading &
burning (or, even worse, printing) stuff like Thinking in Java, or
service packs, or utilities/shareware that's bound to be old and
"superseded" in a few weeks. There were a lot of students that used to
do that when they finally got access to the university broadband and
burners... and printers...

ciao

Isn't "Missing since January" IN MEMORIAM, released under another
name? I bought it back when it was IN MEMORIAM...

Overall a great game, in my opinion, but too buggy too hold suspension
of disbelief for the entire game - which is a necessity in this game.
Still an unique not-to-be-missed experience, however.

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002

On or about 8/10/2004 4:14 PM, Adam Thornton did proclaim:
> Would that that were true. I don't have copies of Object-Oriented
> INTERCAL (to which I contributed the compiler name: "oo, ick" (with
> embedded space and comma) or dd-sh, because I knew I could always get
> them from assurdo.com.
>
> Then it went away.
>
> There was much sadness.

Well, it's their own fault.

A glance at http://web.archive.org/web/*/assurdo.com shows that the
owners seem to have gone out of their way to avoid having their site's
content outlive the site itself.

Personally, I have an 80-GB hard drive that's pretty much dedicated to
saving web-pages that I find interesting.

TRENDING THREADS