Absolutely Stupid Puzzles in URU: POTS

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 5, 2004 2:45:19 PM

For those who contemplate buying URU Path of the Shell you are hereby
advised that are 2 real-time, time-wasting sequences in it.

Wherein the player has to wait a ridiculous 625 interval before things happen.

This to me is stupid childishness and NEVER should have been placed in the game.

I'd love to know the reasoning behind these 2 puzzles.

See below for the 2 instances.

(Andrew: if I'm mistaken please correct me and I'll stand corrected)

At Least the To D'ni expansion pack wasn't near as bad

(SPOILER SPACE)

There are 2 ridiculous sequences where
1. The player has to create pellets and then WAIT A WHOLE
10 MINUTES AND 25 SECONDS before she/he can do anything

2. stand on a metal plate after pushing a light switch and AGAIN
WAIT the 625 seconds before progressing in the game.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 5:02:42 AM

Al wrote:

> (SPOILER SPACE)

> There are 2 ridiculous sequences where
> 1. The player has to create pellets and then WAIT A WHOLE
> 10 MINUTES AND 25 SECONDS before she/he can do anything
>

> 2. stand on a metal plate after pushing a light switch and AGAIN
> WAIT the 625 seconds before progressing in the game.

this really sounds like a bug (the same appearing twice) to me... are
you sure you installed the latest patch? if not, I agree with you even
not having played the game -these puzzles are crazy :)

ciao
August 6, 2004 2:43:19 PM

Stefano Gaburri <my_first_name@gaburri.net> wrote in message news:<

> this really sounds like a bug (the same appearing twice) to me... are
> you sure you installed the latest patch? if not, I agree with you even
> not having played the game -these puzzles are crazy :)
>
> ciao

Its even worse!!! I found out from the Uru Obsession page walkthru
that you have to stand on the metal plate for 15 MINUTES before you
can finish the game. What the hell did these guys think about? Maybe
they decided they needed a long potty
break or something.

Very very stupid puzzle. Can yu imagine someone writing this in IF and
the player can't do anything for lord knows how many turns?

Feedback on this game appreciated.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 3:26:22 AM

Al wrote:

> Very very stupid puzzle. Can yu imagine someone writing this in IF and
> the player can't do anything for lord knows how many turns?

heh, apparently six or seven are more than enough :)

ciao
August 7, 2004 6:04:02 AM

> (SPOILER SPACE)

> There are 2 ridiculous sequences where
> 1. The player has to create pellets and then WAIT A WHOLE
> 10 MINUTES AND 25 SECONDS before she/he can do anything
>

> 2. stand on a metal plate after pushing a light switch and AGAIN
> WAIT the 625 seconds before progressing in the game.

Sounds like bad game design to me. Very few people are going to have the
patiance to stand around for 15 minutes to solve a puzzle unless they get
explicit instructions that you have to. This to me would be a game breaking
design error that would make the game unfinishable for all but the most
patiant of players.

But then, I've never played the game. The Myst-like games never appealed to
me.

Scott
August 7, 2004 10:36:25 AM

Scott Lawrenz wrote:

> Sounds like bad game design to me. Very few people are going to have the
> patiance to stand around for 15 minutes to solve a puzzle unless they get
> explicit instructions that you have to. This to me would be a game breaking
> design error that would make the game unfinishable for all but the most
> patiant of players.
>
> But then, I've never played the game. The Myst-like games never appealed to
> me.

Unfortunately the game designers at Cyan/Ubisoft produce puzzles known only to
them.
I've found that thier logic sometimes either flies out the window or defies all
rules
of convention. What it really is is a plot to sell more hint/cheat books.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 1:50:38 PM

Al <radical1@qadas.com> wrote in news:4114CCC8.D8E325CB@qadas.com:

> Unfortunately the game designers at Cyan/Ubisoft produce puzzles known
> only to them.

Interesting. If you think this is a perennial problem, why do you keep
playing the games? I loved the first Tomb Raider, long ago gave up on them
to ever produce a decent sequel. As such, I'm not actually in a position
to comment on the failures of the latest game.

Why do people buy installment after installment of games they either don't
like, or feel jumped the shark long ago?

Dave Doty
August 7, 2004 4:31:24 PM

"David Doty" <davedoty@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Why do people buy installment after installment of games
> they either don't like, or feel jumped the shark long ago?

They may have liked the core idea, see incremental improvements, and
hope the newest edition will satisfy them.

For example, I never really liked EA Sports' NHL hockey sims. In the
most recent Playstation version they have a Management mode, where you
control your arena, concessions, negotiate player contracts, make trades,
etc.... I would never buy one of the old NHL games, but I would consider
buying the newest one because of that feature.

If I dislike a novel, I'd probably not read that author again, because I
have limited reading time. With games, because technology is involved, you
always think "maybe they 'got it right' this time", or "maybe they 'fixed'
that problem". Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

S.
August 9, 2004 10:51:57 AM

David Doty wrote:

> Interesting. If you think this is a perennial problem, why do you keep
> playing the games? I loved the first Tomb Raider, long ago gave up on them
> to ever produce a decent sequel. As such, I'm not actually in a position
> to comment on the failures of the latest game.

Actually URU Prime (as its now referred to) was the first of the series
that I had any real quarrels with. Aside from Ubisoft/Cyan placing
iimpossible puzzles in this series, the eye candy alone is worth the price

(at least for now)

but that could change in the future.

Myst is now 11 years old and about worn out anyways.

Al
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:30:36 PM

Al <radical1@qadas.com> wrote in message news:<4117736C.5C860377@qadas.com>...

> Myst is now 11 years old and about worn out anyways.

I'd like to take this chance and reccomend RealMYST Interactive 3D
Edition to everyone who shares this opinion. THIS is what Myst was
meant to look like, and it spells F-U-L-L-E-S-T G-A-M-E
I-M-M-E-R-S-I-O-N I've ever seen.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:04:44 PM

catsfan915@hotmail.com (Schattenjager) wrote in

> I'd like to take this chance and reccomend RealMYST Interactive 3D
> Edition to everyone who shares this opinion. THIS is what Myst was
> meant to look like, and it spells F-U-L-L-E-S-T G-A-M-E
> I-M-M-E-R-S-I-O-N I've ever seen.

True that. Now I'm waiting for realRIVEN. Got a feeling I'll be waiting
for a while.

Dave Doty
August 14, 2004 10:47:20 PM

"David Doty" <davedoty@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> True that. Now I'm waiting for realRIVEN. Got a feeling I'll be waiting
> for a while.

Having said what I said. I am waitng for Myst IV. But in all reality the
series is just about
over. I'm the first to admit I got hooked back in '93 but you can only beat
a dead
horse so many times before it rots away or the flesh falls off.

A good question would be:

What if they had announced a 12-game dodecatrilogy or some such?

Who would buy into that one.

Not even myself

Feedback flames whatever requested and accepted.
!