sherpadog

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001
good day guys,

am planning to buy a second harddrive and was thinking of getting a SATA harddrive. but my motherboard doesn't have any SATA connection so i am left with the option of buying a SATA controller. is this a good investment? or would i rather buy an 7200 rpm ATA drive? btw, am doing video editing.

my specs:
512 ddr 400
Athlon XP 2500
ECS N2U-400 mobo
Seagate 120 Barracuda

thanks..

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
for video editing you would benifit greatly from having some drives in a raid. A guy did some video editing on my comp once because he had to get it done fast and he said my machine made it VERY fast. I have raid0 36gb raptors so it is kinda fast :)
Just get a massive hd for storing your videos when u finish em and work on em off of a raid set. You will see a difference. Sata is like cheap scsi so if you want speed go for it.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""Sata is like cheap scsi so if you want speed go for it""

Not really a true statement, ATA and SATA is the same thing as far as speed goes, RPMs do make difference though. I wonder where you got the idea of a cheap SCSI. As far as convinience goes, yeah, SATA has thiner connectors, otherwise.. they are the same

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
in that case SATA has nothing to do with it, the speed is "included" as RPM package in that "perticullar" drive ;)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...