Battery Performance: T2 vs. T3

September 11, 2004 1:10:49 PM

I'm considering upgrading from a T2 to a T3. I love my T2 still and
consider is to be everything I need in a PDA except the lack of WIFI. I'm
tempted to move to a T3 because of the faster processor, stretch display,
and dropping prices as everyone anticipates the release of the next
generation models.

All I've ever heard about the T3 is its horrendous batter performance. My
T2 performs adequately and I have no complaints. I try to sync and charge
nightly and rarely have seen my battery below 40% remaining, although there
have been times when I needed to go through an entire weekend without a
charge. Oh yeah, I keep a cradle at work also.

Considering this, how does the T3 battery compare to the T2 battery?

wil

More about : battery performance

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 6:31:24 PM

"Wil Witherspoon" <wil.witherspoon@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm considering upgrading from a T2 to a T3. I love my T2 still and
> consider is to be everything I need in a PDA except the lack of WIFI. I'm
> tempted to move to a T3 because of the faster processor, stretch display,
> and dropping prices as everyone anticipates the release of the next
> generation models.
>
> All I've ever heard about the T3 is its horrendous batter performance.
My
> T2 performs adequately and I have no complaints. I try to sync and charge
> nightly and rarely have seen my battery below 40% remaining, although
there
> have been times when I needed to go through an entire weekend without a
> charge. Oh yeah, I keep a cradle at work also.
>
> Considering this, how does the T3 battery compare to the T2 battery?
>
> wil

You didn't mention how you use the T2. It it's just reading books or playing
MP3s you'll get OK battery performance (4+ hours). If you run applications
that use Bluetooth or are graphics intensive the battery won't last very
long. I have taken to using USB cables and the appropriate adapter to charge
in the car or to charge/sync to my PC or Laptop computer. I am also looking
at the Power to Go option from Palm now that they are selling for ~$49 USD.
A pretty cheap option to extend the battery life while on the go. Last but
not least there are some Solar chargers that are not too expensive if you're
going to be away from a regular power source (for example on a camping
trip).

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 6:41:16 PM

On 2004-09-11, Wil Witherspoon <wil.witherspoon@cox.net> wrote:
> I'm considering upgrading from a T2 to a T3. I love my T2 still and
> consider is to be everything I need in a PDA except the lack of WIFI. I'm
> tempted to move to a T3 because of the faster processor, stretch display,
> and dropping prices as everyone anticipates the release of the next
> generation models.

It's worth mentioning that I hate the stretch screen on the T3. Most
applications don't support it, it's tricky to extend the device
without doing something else accidentally (ejecting the MMC card,
hitting the Voice Memo button), and it means you can't easily use
Graffiti without extending, which can be awkward adn time wasting.

Also, just as a matter of aesthetics, the extended device feels
flimsy and unstable, even though it isn't.

The device is fine in other aspects, but the "compulsory stretch"
aspect gets on my nerves.
--
Carl Fink carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 10:12:09 PM

On 2004-09-11, C.Joseph Drayton <kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I agree with you about extending the Tungsten|T3. This problem is
> exacerbated if you are using a hard-case.

You mean like my RhinoSkin metal case?

> ... Then I came up with a solution that works very well. I cut a
> piece of strapping tape to about a length of 4". I then folded over
> about 1" the taped it to the the back of the Tungsten|T3. I now can
> just grab the tab (the folded over piece of tape) and pull. The
> strapping tape is UGLY, but it is strong and wears very well. I
> wear my Tungsten|T3 on my belt, and it is constantly rubbing
> against my shirt, and there is very little wear on the tape.

Trouble is, I keep my encased device in my pants pocket, which would
remove that tape in minutes.

Why won't Palm or someone make a device that *is* in an aluminum
shell? I'd pay $100 more for a T3-like device that doesn't need a
hard case because the actual device is metallic. It would also be
smaller and lighter than my current shell-inside-a-shell system.
--
Carl Fink carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading
http://www.jabootu.com
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 10:12:10 PM

September 13, 2004 4:09:36 AM

In article <slrnck63kc.8am.carlf@panix2.panix.com>, Carl Fink
<carlf@panix.com> writes
>It's worth mentioning that I hate the stretch screen on the T3. Most
>applications don't support it, it's tricky to extend the device
>without doing something else accidentally (ejecting the MMC card,
>hitting the Voice Memo button), and it means you can't easily use
>Graffiti without extending, which can be awkward adn time wasting.

Here you surprise me as I find the stretch screen the usual way of
working (pulling it out is easier than using the on-off switch) and when
I want to use Graffiti (which is not very often, as I prefer the soft
keyboard which, with the extended screen, does not overlay the input
area in the program I am using) I can use it anywhere on the screen
without bothering to open a dedicated Graffiti area. Actually I only
bought the T3 for its extended screen and landscape mode - I use
spreadsheets a lot.

I agree about the short battery life, and sometimes I have no warning -
after switching off the T3 merely refuses to come on. I have ordered
Power to Go, which seems vastly overpriced - for a mobile phone I could
have the same facility via a 9v battery and holder for a small fraction
of the price, and I do not see why a similar accessory could not be
available for PDAs.
--
Neville
Anonymous

Carl Fink wrote:
> Why won't Palm or someone make a device that *is* in an aluminum
> shell? I'd pay $100 more for a T3-like device that doesn't need a

My T3 is made from a metal (maybe aluminum), which the bumps from
several drops to the floor go to show.

Did I miss something?
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 1:34:46 AM

On 2004-09-14, fm <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Carl Fink wrote:
>> Why won't Palm or someone make a device that *is* in an aluminum
>> shell? I'd pay $100 more for a T3-like device that doesn't need a
>
> My T3 is made from a metal (maybe aluminum), which the bumps from
> several drops to the floor go to show.
>
> Did I miss something?

A metal screen cover that snaps in place.
--
Carl Fink carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading
http://www.jabootu.com
September 15, 2004 1:34:47 AM

Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote in message news:<slrnckekvm.d10.carlf@panix2.panix.com>...
> On 2004-09-14, fm <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> > Carl Fink wrote:
> >> Why won't Palm or someone make a device that *is* in an aluminum
> >> shell? I'd pay $100 more for a T3-like device that doesn't need a
> >
> > My T3 is made from a metal (maybe aluminum), which the bumps from
> > several drops to the floor go to show.
> >
> > Did I miss something?
>
> A metal screen cover that snaps in place.

a la Visor Edge
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 6:55:18 AM

Neville wrote:

> I agree about the short battery life, and sometimes I have no warning
> - after switching off the T3 merely refuses to come on. I have
> ordered Power to Go, which seems vastly overpriced - for a mobile
> phone I could have the same facility via a 9v battery and holder for
> a small fraction of the price, and I do not see why a similar
> accessory could not be available for PDAs.

I put my T3 in the cradle every night, so the battery life has never been
that much of an issue. I find, even playing lots of games, with the screen
at half bright, I can get 3 hours out of it. With a dimmer screen (which I
find necessary in dark places) I can squeeze close to 4. Weak, but workable.

In terms of portable power, you can build yourself a battery charger. Just
buy a 4 battery holder (either AA or AAA) from Radio Shack, and a cheap USB
1.1 extension cable if you don't happen to have a spare one (you can buy
these at the dollar store these days). To be safe you should an a diode,
which will prevent discharging the Palm's battery if the AA/AAA batteries
you're using get too low. Striped side points to the negative node. A .5 or
1 Amp diode will do. Then just cut the female end of the USB extension cord
off and expose the wires. There will be 2 thicker wires and 3 thinner ones.
The thicker ones are the power wires, the thinner ones are the data wires,
which you can just cut because they won't be used. Generally, the wires are
colour coded so black is negative, and red or white is positive. Then just
splice the USB cable into the leads from the battery holder, putting the
diode between the lead and the USB cable for one of them, and you're done.
You should solder the wires and you can use some heat shrink tubing to
protection and looking a bit nicer. But if you want to go really ghetto, you
can get away with just twisting the wires together and using some electric
tape to fasten and isolate them.

Of course you'll need a USB charge/sync cable to plug into the battery
charger. A nice portable option is a retractable cable, which you can get
from Proporta or StylusCentral and elsewhere. The cable can also be used
with an AC/USB adapter (dual voltage) and a 12V/USB car adapter, so you're
set for charging anywhere.

For batteries, you should go with NiMH rechargeables which are a lot cheaper
in the long run than alkaline. In Canada, Canadian Tire sells Duracell
rechargeables for a good price. I believe Walmart in the states does too.

The battery charger will cost you less than $10. It will add up some when
you buy the cable and batteries, and a battery charger if you need one, but
all those accessories can be used for other purposes so in my opinion it's
money better spent.

If you like the 9V battery thing, you can do the same thing even cheaper.
Just replace the 4 battery holder with a 9V plug with leads (you can get
those at Radio Shack too). But 4 AAA don't take a lot of room and provide
much, much more power than a 9V.

Of course, while it works for me, I take no responsibility if your Palm
starts to smoke or you're stopped at the airport for carrying around wires
and electrical tape...

Ric