Whats the best SATA Raid Cards?

whataboutbob

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Anybody know which is the best PCI Sata Raid card or where to search for reviews? Im looking for RAID 0 on a gaming machine, the only thing I found here has to do with entry level servers and servers in general.

I have sata ports on my board but i cant raid them.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by whataboutbob on 09/06/04 01:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LagMonster

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Bah! Get a SCSI RAID you fool! Both fast and highly releiable... or jsut screw RAID all togethyer because it's not that great. What honelt do you need a RAID array for?

And for gods sakes don't be a moron and use it as your boot drive. This is now what RAID arrays are meant for.

Griphus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
Well, you don't want the best RAID controller card. The best RAID controller cards are expensive, and for the difference you would notice in a gaming machine it wouldn't be worth it (cards like 3ware cards can be 300$ fo ra 4 port card). RAID 0 is not very processor intensive so you can use a cheap Highpoint RAID card and get almost the same speed as with an expensive card. Save the money by going with a Highpoint RAID controller card and spend the money on some 10,000 RPM raptor hard drives and you will get more speed than you would purchasing a high end RAID card. Also, you may want to wait for Serial ATA 2... It is on the brink of being available and has native command queuing. Native command queueing prioritizes input/output requests so they will be pulled from the hard disk in the order they are stored on the disk. Native command queueing will yield a significant performance boost. Hope this advice helped.

Have a nice day,
Griphus

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My card support 45 hard drives, 15 on each channel. 36GB 10k RPM drives are cheap from refurbishers, heck even 15k RPM versions are only a few dollars more.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS