Teaching and Learning With Interactive Fiction

Last response: in Video Games
August 14, 2004 6:27:11 PM

Hi, All,

"Teaching and Learning with Interactive Fiction" is a web site for kids
and teachers who are interested in IF. The site offers a great deal of
pedagogical theory and practice for teachers, much of it derived for
peer-reviewed articles in _The English Journal_ and _Currents in
Electronic Literacy_. For kids, the site has an introduction to
interactive fiction, recommendations for interactive stories, and ways
to obtain good IF.

The most recent additions to the site include suggestions for helping
students to write interactive fiction and several well-known stories
that are playable online, including _The Firebird_, _Small World_, _The
Magic Toyshop_, and _A Bear's Night Out_.

"Teaching and Learning with IF" offers suggestions for teachers
concerning a number of stories that work well with
classes, including the often-recommended _Winter Wonderland_ and
_Arthur: the Quest for Excalibur_. and the more surprising _Photopia._
Most readers of this newsgroup will probably agree that _Photopia_ is
one of the finest IF stories ever written, but its remarkable utility in
the classroom may be unexpected to some.

"Teaching and Learning with IF" also includes two IF "kits," one for
kids and one for teachers. These self-extracting archives enable
PC-using newbies to run several excellent stories with no prior
knowledge of interpreters, story files, or un-zipping.

"Teaching and Learning with Interactive Fiction" has been on the web for
over ten years, but it has a relatively new URL:
http://if.home.comcast.net

I'd be most interested in your comments and suggestions. I'd
particularly like to know of any teachers who are currently using
interactive fiction in their classes.

Peace,
Brendan Desilets
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 1:45:06 AM

Hey Brendan,

I have written some IF in Dutch (using the Dutch Inform libraries that I
put on the ifarchive a few years back) in which young high school kids get
to converse with Count Dracula to learn about bats. I have used this to
great effect in my biology classes, and I am currently working on other
educational IF together with colleagues: currently I'm most active working
on some IF about German politics in WW II.

I'll take a good look at your site. Thanks!

Cheers,
Yuri Robbers <yuri@deavolente.org>.

!