PC133 upgrade...

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
My g/f's computer has 128 of PC133 with a 1gHZ p3, So as you can assume it feels a little slow compared to my A64 2800+, 512MB PC3200RAM......i want to drop in like 256MB more in here.

She has a Dell Dimension L1000R, so i have no idea what the Mobo is. I have heard that some older computers wont take the newer pc133 ram. i went to the dell website and for 256MB they wanted 80bucks...i think thats a little stupid. I was wondering if the PC133 on newegg would work...or is it a crap shoot?

If this is going to be exspensive, i will just buy a cheap AXP(2500+ish), new mobo, and PC3200 RAM for like 200bucks.

Just trying to not waste time and money.
thanx

--------------------------------------------------------
<font color=blue> I am on an express train to hell. I hope I'm in the front row, the ride is ALWAYS better in the front. </font color=blue>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Firstly what does your girlfriend use her computer for? That system is pretty outdated by now so it might be worth while getting an entirly new setup. But if this is not practical then the extra RAM might help a bit.

As far as I know any PC133 should work, u need to make sure that the motherboard has a free RAM slot.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
She uses her computer for internet and typing up papers for school. For what she does a P3 1Ghz is probably overkill, but only 128MB of ram is killing the machine. With a broadband connection it actually comes in faster then her RAM can handle it. Also her bootup time is like 45min.

yes, i already checked, she has 1 dimm open.
I have seen on newegg the companies say "this will not work on older motherboards" So i dont know what that means exactly or what limitations it has and where i can look to see if it will work.

I will build her a new system someday x-mas or birthday or something. But only for a minor upgrade to the processor and so i she can use faster ram. For what she does the boost from 128MB of PC133 to 512MB of pc3200 will be HUGE.

I have an old AXP 1700+, 80GB HD, and two optical drives (DVD-rom, and CD-RW) i will just buy a new mobo, PSU, Ram, case, and give it to her....

but for now i think i will just spend the 27bucks for another 128MB.

<font color=blue> I am on an express train to hell. I hope I'm in the front row, the ride is ALWAYS better in the front. </font color=blue>

RichPLS

Champion
Hell, if you love her, upgrade her rig... It'l be worth it, plus you'll get to show her what you can do with yer hard drive and her software...

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
An upgrade is comming...but i will need a little time to figure out what i can salvage from my old machine and what the best/cheapest hardware i can use to rebuild it for her. I will need a little time to come up with the money for the upgrade as well. It should only be like 200bucks but with college and my cocaine adiction....it could take a month or two or nine.

RichPLS

Champion
U not running for Pres, no...

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd get the RAM from Crucial.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I would recommend using PC133, the maximum amount of memory for her computer is 512MBs so you can get a couple of 256MB modules to help her out<A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Dell+Dimension&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=Dimension+L+Series&submit=Go" target="_new"> Here</A>.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com

G