Inspiron 1520 shut off, wont even turn on now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Hello. I am having a major issue with my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop, I have had it just over a year and I use it for gaming as its setup for. Recentley while playing EVE Online my computer just shut off and wont turn back on or give me any sign of life... I tried a different power cord, and battery (friend has the same laptop) but to no avail. I am curious if any of you have any thoughts on what might have went wrong. I am thinking the power supply inside. I noticed that on the power adapter that plugs in to the computer there is a green light. Usually when its got power running through the adapter it is green even if not plugged in to the laptop. After this happened though, when I plug it in to the laptop it shuts off the green light? I am thinking its a saftey or something... Any thoughts on this would be great...

System specs where as follows:

2 Ghz Duel Core

2 Gigs of RAM

Nvidia 8600M GT GPU

80 Gig HDD

thats the main stuff... anything else if you have questions let me know. Thanks...

:sweat:

G

I have the exact same laptop & the same exact problem. Called Dell & they told me it was a catastrophic motherboard failure. Going to cost at least $400 to fix. I'm going to make sure it's not the battery or the AC pwr adaptor before I go buying a new motherboard though. (Worth it? prob not) Dell did offer to let me buy a new 2 yr warranty on a less than 2 yr old computer though for $450. How very nice of them. Research is showing me that this is a systematic problem across the Inspiron 15** line. Dell knows it's an overheating problem & will not stand behind their product.

How did you determine it was an overheating problem? It could be tons of things.

If your notebook is out-of-warranty, you can take it apart and diagnose it yourself. To buy a motherboard and replace it yourself is far cheaper than to have someone do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.