Is it possible to control a remote PC with a tablet over Wifi?

Federal-Foe

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
... in a way that is actually useable?

I bought myself an Asus TF300T (Transformer series) recently, and I have been playing with the idea of how usefull it could be to have it as a remote terminal for a desktop.

The main idea is that I have this tablet (that comes with a keyboard) and an optional mouse on location (let's say at my university), and that I can use it to access a powerful rig I have at home and run heavy rendering programs from there. Only the screen, board and mouse are mobile, the actual computations are not.
I have been looking into several RDP apps (looked into PocketCloud and Teamviewer), but up until now none of these are sufficient for actual use. I have to mention they were tested to remote control a laptop running XP (it's the only thing I have with me atm to test), and I have to admit they're both inadequate in these environments. There are tons of apps that say they offer "control", but even the best of them fail on crucial fields: Lag that feels close to a second, images that appear blurry/cut up/wrong colors/pixelated, horrible integration of touch screen, ill-fitting resolutions, only offer LAN connectivity, etc.

Can anyone help or guide me on how to get this to work? Or explain why it cannot (yet) work in the way I prefer it to? Any info would be appreciated! :D

Side info to offer some context:
My goal is to try and get this to work for me, I wouldn't even mind having to pay some money for software or connectivity to get it running smoothly. The actual PC I want to be able to control in the end hasn't been built yet, so if there are special parts that lend to this use they are still an option. I know a bit about coding too, so if I had to modify existing code to get it running the best way for me is also a possibility.
My main problem is that I do not know what the bottlenecks are, and what could be done to get around them. If anyone can help me with this I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance (and for reading through it ;) ),

Arnaud

Any remote control connection will have lag unless you are running on a local network. So when you say WiFi you don't mean WiFi as in inside your house, you meant outside? If yes, you will get lag/slow video. Should not have any resolution issues, the only issue would be that the computer and tablet have different resolutions so you either have to scroll or scale the scree which will distort the images.

Federal-Foe

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

I considered the lag, and was thinking about how it would be over a short distance through the backbone of the (local) network (where transmission rates should be high).

Over a local network, remote connections work pretty well, but the bandwidth of the network is not close to the bandwidth you get over a computer's motherboard connections to the video card, you will have some issues, especially over WiFi.