system restore

I cannot turn system restore on. Have looked for system restore tab in
"system" in the control panel but there are no tabs or reference to system
restore. I am system administrator so have enough privileges. Am running XP
Pro an have SP2 installed.
4 answers Last reply
More about system restore

    Click Start, Run (Type) Services.Msc [Enter]

    Locate System Restore Service and note it's Startup Type &
    Status fields. It should be set for "Automatic" startup and in the
    status field it should be Started.

    Also because you are running Professional, there are Group
    policies that could be active that would disable System Restore.

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Click Start, Run (Type) Services.Msc [Enter]
    >
    > Locate System Restore Service and note it's Startup Type &
    > Status fields. It should be set for "Automatic" startup and in the
    > status field it should be Started.
    >
    > Also because you are running Professional, there are Group
    > policies that could be active that would disable System Restore.
    >

    > "raynz" <raynz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I cannot turn system restore on. Have looked for system restore tab in
    > > "system" in the control panel but there are no tabs or reference to
    > > system
    > > restore. I am system administrator so have enough privileges. Am running
    > > XP
    > > Pro an have SP2 installed.
    >

    > Thanks R. McCarty
    but the problem still remains. Do you know why I might not have any system
    restore tabs come up on the "system " control panel?

    Could be a Policy restriction. Do you use or have any other
    type of System recovery software installed that might supersede
    the built-in SR ?
    You should use the Group Policy snap-in to check the Computer,
    Administrative Templates, System - System Restore and make
    sure the Policy for "Turn Off System Restore" is not enabled.
    Click Start, Run (Type) GPedit.Msc [Enter]
    - Navigate to the path above, to locate the Policy Key.

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Could be a Policy restriction. Do you use or have any other
    > type of System recovery software installed that might supersede
    > the built-in SR ?
    > You should use the Group Policy snap-in to check the Computer,
    > Administrative Templates, System - System Restore and make
    > sure the Policy for "Turn Off System Restore" is not enabled.
    > Click Start, Run (Type) GPedit.Msc [Enter]
    > - Navigate to the path above, to locate the Policy Key.
    >
    > "raynz" <raynz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Click Start, Run (Type) Services.Msc [Enter]
    > >>
    > >> Locate System Restore Service and note it's Startup Type &
    > >> Status fields. It should be set for "Automatic" startup and in the
    > >> status field it should be Started.
    > >>
    > >> Also because you are running Professional, there are Group
    > >> policies that could be active that would disable System Restore.
    > >>

    > >> "raynz" <raynz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> Thanks R. McCarty
    > > but the problem still remains. Do you know why I might not have any system
    > > restore tabs come up on the "system " control panel?
    >

    > Thank you for the help . Restore is now enabled . Thanks again.

Control Panel Microsoft System Restore Windows XP