How to share the Program Files and Windows folders over a ..

I am running Windows XP Home on 2 machines. I have them connected in a home
network and, for both machines, they are sharing their drive Cs. But for
security reasons, I cannot seem to share the Windows and Program Files
folders. Is there anyway to override the security and share them anyway?

Thanks in advance for any help...
11 answers Last reply
More about share program files windows folders

    My machine restarts when I go into safe mode. But even if it didn't how would
    I go about deactivating SFS on Win XP Home in safe mode?

    "JTH" <JTH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running Windows XP Home on 2 machines. I have them connected in a
    home
    > network and, for both machines, they are sharing their drive Cs. But for
    > security reasons, I cannot seem to share the Windows and Program Files
    > folders. Is there anyway to override the security and share them anyway?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help...

    Why would you want to? You cannot run a program from PC2 that you have
    installed on PC1 . The only way to do that is with something like Remote
    Desktop which you don't have in Home Edition. And why on earth would you
    want to share the Windows folder? There's NOTHING you can do with it from
    the other machine other than to view the contents.

    Just for reviewing files and programs. I probably won't use it but I would
    like full access to both machines just in case I ever need it.

    > Just for reviewing files and programs. I probably won't use it but I would
    > like full access to both machines just in case I ever need it.

    Like I said, all you can do is view the contents, but I can't for the life
    of me understand what you are hoping to accomplish by this. Why would you
    want to "review" what's in the Windows folder?

    You already have. The Admin$ share takes you to Windows. You have to be an admin to use it. C$ takes you to C drive which includes the whole disk. And nothing stops you from sharing Windows or Program Files anyway - turn off simple file sharing..

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > turn off simple file sharing..

    Windows Home Edition - you can't turn it off (unless logged on as Admin in
    safe mode?) AFAIK.

    So, ..., log on in safe mode.

    > So, ..., log on in safe mode.

    Whatever

    > My machine restarts when I go into safe mode. But even if it didn't how
    would
    > I go about deactivating SFS on Win XP Home in safe mode?

    Boot into Safe Mode. Go to Windows Explorer, Tools-Folder Options-View and
    it should be the very last option at the bottom.

    HTH
  10. I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same problem (unable to view Program Files from another machine on the network). I've tried connecting to C$ (reports non-existent share) and I've tried rebooting into Safe Mode but there is still no "simple file sharing" check box under folder options.

    As a hack, I found a shareware program called File System Manager that allows you to much with underlying permissions but I'd prefer being able to do this in Windows.

    I HATE the way Microsoft thinks it knows what's good for you better than you do. I just installed Vista Ultimate on another PC and that is even more obnoxious (at least you can turn off most of the new "features").
  11. man this thread is 2 years old tho :D

Security Windows XP