Exporting search results and producing drive maps

Panos

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004

I've done a search on my drive to locate all the Power Point files and came
up with 1712 results. I need to export these results to a user friendly
format (preferably xls) so that I have the name of the file, the location,
the size and the date modified. How do I go about doing this?

I am also interested in creating a tree diagram that will show the entire
structure of my drive, i.e. think something like the explore's bar view
folders option with expand all. MS DOS PROMP will give you such an option but
it's not really user friendly.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

For the tree diagram use the tree command. It can be redirected to a file
tree>myfiletree
type tree /? in a command prompt for info.
--

"Panos" <Panos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've done a search on my drive to locate all the Power Point files and
> came
> up with 1712 results. I need to export these results to a user friendly
> format (preferably xls) so that I have the name of the file, the location,
> the size and the date modified. How do I go about doing this?
>
> I am also interested in creating a tree diagram that will show the entire
> structure of my drive, i.e. think something like the explore's bar view
> folders option with expand all. MS DOS PROMP will give you such an option
> but
> it's not really user friendly.

You can drag a folder from (say explorer) on to the file. You can put it in Sendto, type sendto in Start Run, copy the file into the sendto folder, then right click the folder you want to list, Send To, PrintDetailsAppend. Sending To simulates a drag and drop.

Then import the file into excel, delete the columns you don't want (as most are blank for any individual type of file, eg MP3 don't have a Date Picture Taken and JPEGs don't have a Genre property), sort it on description and delete the files you don't want. That will leave just the properties and files you want. This is the most general purpose way I can think of to meet everyones needs.

A drive is the same as a folder for these purposes.

Attached is a VBScript that generate the shell properties (what you see or could see in Explorer). It is a 51 column csv. There is about 40 properties on a standard XP and I've allowed about 10 columns for custom properties that applications may add. Those whove seen it before this one automatically finds the desktop rather than editing the script. To use, drop a folder on it or place in Sendto and send a folder to it. If using the for command (below) you must run it once whereever you put it so it can be found.

To do sub folders type in a command prompt in the folder that you want to start in (It also does the parent folder - a quirk of For)
for /r %A in (.) do start "" /w "PrintDetailsAppend" "%~dpA"

It creates a file on the desktop called Folder Property List.txt. Sort it in Excel and delete the files you don't want.

Copy the following line into a text document and rename it to PrintDetailsAppend.vbs

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\" & Wscript.ScriptName & "\", Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34)
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\" & Left(Wscript.ScriptName, Len(Wscript.ScriptName)-3) & "exe" & "\", Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34)

Set Fldr=objShell.NameSpace(Ag(0))

Set FldrItems=Fldr.Items

Set DeskFldr=objShell.Namespace(16)
FName=fso.buildpath(DeskFldr.self.path, "Folder Property List.txt")

Set ts = fso_OpenTextFile(FName, 8, vbtrue)

For x = 0 to 50
t1 = t1 & Fldr.GetDetailsOf(vbnull, x) & " (Shell)" & vbtab
Next
ts.write FLDR.self.path &vbcrlf
ts.Write T1 & vbcrlf
T1=""

For Each FldrItem in FldrItems
For x = 0 to 50
t1 = t1 & Fldr.GetDetailsOf(FldrItem, x) & vbtab
Next
t1=t1 & vbcrlf
ts.Write T1
T1=""
Next

http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/

Panos wrote:

> I've done a search on my drive to locate all the Power Point files and came
> up with 1712 results. I need to export these results to a user friendly
> format (preferably xls) so that I have the name of the file, the location,
> the size and the date modified. How do I go about doing this?

I suggest you use the free Agent Ransack for this.

Download it from here:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

Agent Ransack can save the search result to a file (or clipboard),
as text, comma separated text or tab separated text. E.g. Excel
reads comma separated text (csv) very well.

> I am also interested in creating a tree diagram that will show the entire
> structure of my drive, i.e. think something like the explore's bar view
> folders option with expand all. MS DOS PROMP will give you such an option but
> it's not really user friendly.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Will you stop spamming these groups with your lies and drivel.