Sign in with
Your question

22 inch LCD vs 20.1 LCD

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 10, 2007 2:02:52 AM

Looking at different LCD's, Samsung in particular. There seems to be an odd price difference between the 20.1 and the 22 inch lcds. For example, the 225BW is on newegg for $349 with the 204B at $354. Both are at 5ms response time, both DVI, 225B is the widescreen. Ive seen other 22 inch lcd's going for less than smaller monitors. What is the reason for this? Is there something wrong with 22 inch lcd's that makes them inferior to the smaller ones?

More about : inch lcd lcd

February 10, 2007 2:28:10 AM

The 20.1" is UXGA... 1600x1200, while the 22" is only SXGA. The 204B also has a TN panel, making it the cheapest UXGA on the market. Nearly all other UXGAs have either IPS or VA panels... they are more expensive yet.
February 10, 2007 11:46:14 PM

Where can someone find what kind of panel it is? UXGA, IPS or VA. I don't see that listed in a lot of the specs.

And my final question is....

For gaming, which 22 inch monitor is best. I was leaning toward the Samsung 225b
Related resources
February 11, 2007 12:32:23 AM

Quote:
Where can someone find what kind of panel it is? UXGA, IPS or VA. I don't see that listed in a lot of the specs.

And my final question is....

For gaming, which 22 inch monitor is best. I was leaning toward the Samsung 225b

UXGA refers to the resolution. Out of respect for Hose, I don't want this to be taken badly by him, but I was always kind of annoyed by the used of the words WXGA, XGA, UXGA, or whatever. Listing the actual resolution like 1024x768 or 1600x1200 seems so much better.
As for panel type, good try on trying to find out whether it is IPS or VA. This is not something most manufacturers list in the specs, although it is perhaps one of the most important factors in making a purchasing decision (along with knowing real response times).
February 11, 2007 12:55:04 AM

You mention that it is one of the most important factors ( IPS or VA)... can you explain?? Is one better than the other? Or is what you are going to use it for make one better?

For me...daily regular computing and a lot of FPS gaming! LOL
February 11, 2007 1:15:48 AM

TN - worst viewing angle; anyone can probably notice it, yet it is actually not really that bad for basic computer use.

If you are picky about picture quality; if you do image editing and care about color being different from one side of the screen to the other. If you can spot color differences of 4 points on the RGB scale; then these are all reasons to consider a higher quality panel type. Otherwise, it might not even bother you enough.
February 11, 2007 1:19:27 AM

I guess I'm still confused though. I want a 22 inch monitor for home use and gaming but there are so many choices! Maybe I'll just stick with the Samsung 225B.

edited Feb 12th 2007 7:12 PM

Costcentral has the Samsung 225B on sale for $317.00 Factory Sealed, NEW with Free Delivery.

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Samsung_22IN_ANAL...
!