Changing Registered User Name on System screen

Hello all,

I have a computer that I bought cheap that has a factory(OEM) XP Home
installation on it. It has the original user name listed on the Start Menu and
System screen. How can I change the registered name to mine? Is there a
program/patch that will change the name and registry to me?

Thanks,

Bill
Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
as if any other time isn't worth noting....
Michael Rarfit
6 answers Last reply
More about changing registered user system screen

    Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a computer that I bought cheap that has a factory(OEM) XP Home
    > installation on it. It has the original user name listed on the Start Menu and
    > System screen. How can I change the registered name to mine? Is there a
    > program/patch that will change the name and registry to me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill
    > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    > Michael Rarfit

    When getting a used computer it is a wise move to format and clean
    install the OS. You don't want to inherit someone else's problems and
    nasties such as kiddie porn.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site:

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Will Denny wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site:
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups

    Wahoo! That's it, worked great, thanks!

    Bill

    > "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I have a computer that I bought cheap that has a factory(OEM) XP Home
    > > installation on it. It has the original user name listed on the Start
    > > Menu and
    > > System screen. How can I change the registered name to mine? Is there a
    > > program/patch that will change the name and registry to me?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Bill
    > > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    > > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    > > Michael Rarfit

    Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    Michael Rarfit

    You're welcome Bill

    --

    > Will Denny wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site:
    >>
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >
    > Wahoo! That's it, worked great, thanks!
    >
    > Bill
    >

    >> "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello all,
    >> >
    >> > I have a computer that I bought cheap that has a factory(OEM) XP Home
    >> > installation on it. It has the original user name listed on the Start
    >> > Menu and
    >> > System screen. How can I change the registered name to mine? Is there
    >> > program/patch that will change the name and registry to me?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Bill
    >> > =================================================================
    >> > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    >> > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    >> > Michael Rarfit

    > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    > Michael Rarfit

    Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a computer that I bought cheap that has a factory(OEM) XP Home
    > installation on it. It has the original user name listed on the Start Menu and
    > System screen. How can I change the registered name to mine? Is there a
    > program/patch that will change the name and registry to me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill
    > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    > Michael Rarfit

    With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
    but perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend, your wisest
    course of action would probably be to format the hard drives and start
    fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may
    have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because
    the original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

    However, to fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

    and:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\RegisteredOrganization

    How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    it only during installation.

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  6. Dear User,

    You can find out this problem solution and other solution on below link

    http://***/J8dGH

    and help us to give feed back so we can give you better solution

Windows XP