Malinche Makes History...Again!

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Setting new standards for Interactive Fiction yet again, Malinche is
proud to announce Howard Sherman's latest masterpiece.

For the first time ever, an Interactive Fiction title enters the genre
of suspense fiction.

Malinche launches Endgame tonight!

A Naval Techno Thriller set aboard a US Navy guided missile cruiser!

Take command of this cutting-edge ship and make world history right now!

Visit http://www.malinche.net/store-eg.html for all the details

Howard Sherman
Implementor
http://www.malinche.net

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction;,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

>For the first time ever, an Interactive Fiction title enters the genre
>of suspense fiction.

So Infocom's Border Zone doesn't count? Amazing...

Howard Sherman <howard@malinche.net> wrote in message news:<HNxWc.9811$2L3.9310@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> Setting new standards for Interactive Fiction yet again, Malinche is
> proud to announce Howard Sherman's latest masterpiece.
>
> For the first time ever, an Interactive Fiction title enters the genre
> of suspense fiction.

You seem as bad as Paul Panks sometimes. You live in this little
imaginary world where you think your games are brilliant and are
oblivious to the fact that no one else agrees. Only in a way you're
worse than Panks because at least his efforts are free whereas you
actually expect people to pay for yours.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Howard, sweetheart, you should know better than to post this type of
announcement in Bizzaro world. The folks here according to your own
ranting aren't your target audience, the real world out there is.

Maybe you can sell another million copies at the next Con.
Carl K

On 24 Aug 2004 00:31:26 -0700, David Whyld wrote:

> Howard Sherman <howard@malinche.net> wrote in message news:<HNxWc.9811$2L3.9310@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>> Setting new standards for Interactive Fiction yet again, Malinche is
>> proud to announce Howard Sherman's latest masterpiece.
>>
>> For the first time ever, an Interactive Fiction title enters the genre
>> of suspense fiction.
>>

> You seem as bad as Paul Panks sometimes. You live in this little
> imaginary world where you think your games are brilliant and are
> oblivious to the fact that no one else agrees. Only in a way you're
> worse than Panks because at least his efforts are free whereas you
> actually expect people to pay for yours.

I doubt he actually believes his own propaganda; the most successful
propagandizers never do.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Howard Sherman <howard@malinche.net> wrote:
> Setting new standards for Interactive Fiction yet again, Malinche is
> proud to announce Howard Sherman's latest masterpiece.

Howard, a polite suggestion.

If your goal is to promote your games, it is all the more important
that you don't engage in high-flung exaggerations about them. Think
about it. If you get an envelope in the mail that says, "Setting new
standards for ... yet again, ... is proud to announce ...'s latest
masterpiece," would you open up the envelope? I wouldn't. I'd think,
"this is hype," and throw it away.

From a marketing point of view, it makes better sense to state facts,
and let those facts speak for themselves. When you do that, people can
no longer imagine that you're engaging in meaningless hype. "My game
is a history-making masterpiece" is meaningless. "My game is the first
ever naval IF techno-thriller," if true, means something and might
interest somebody.

Smart marketing means not antagonizing your market. You have
antagonized a lot of people here, and I think you know it. But maybe
you could avoid doing this in the future.

From what I can tell, it's not your games that cause people to take
issue with you, but the way you promote them in this group. If you're
willing to stop doing the things that make people here upset, great.
Otherwise, maybe it would be better to restrict your marketing to
conferences and book festivals. Judging from what you've told us, your
efforts there have been incomparably more successful.

Greg

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I was quite pleased with the release information. I am not bound by
those standards, I pee freely.

Never mind right and wrong, watch santoonie videos instead:
http://santoonie.com/videos

A.P. Hill
8 gold medals in Troll Long Jump

p.s. I am attending a Troll Rehab clinic. The first step was
admitting I was a Troll. This was very hard for me to do, so I
requested to extend my first class for two months. I am awaiting
referral approval.

A.P. Hill wrote:
> [...] The first step was admitting I was a Troll.

Strictly speaking, you're not a troll. You're a "troll-poster". But your
trolls aren't *that* successful, since you sometimes reply to them. You'll
have to work harder to beat Mr. IF.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Is there (or will there be) a demo?
The concept sounds interesting, but I'm accustomed to not paying for IF, so
I'd want to at least sample it before buying.

S.

"S" <dont@spam.com> wrote in message
> Is there (or will there be) a demo?
> The concept sounds interesting, but I'm accustomed to not paying for IF,
so
> I'd want to at least sample it before buying.
>
> S.

Same here.

"Greg Boettcher" <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote in message
> Howard Sherman <howard@malinche.net> wrote:
> > Setting new standards for Interactive Fiction yet again, Malinche is
> > proud to announce Howard Sherman's latest masterpiece.
>
> Howard, a polite suggestion.
>
> If your goal is to promote your games, it is all the more important
> that you don't engage in high-flung exaggerations about them. Think
> about it. If you get an envelope in the mail that says, "Setting new
> standards for ... yet again, ... is proud to announce ...'s latest
> masterpiece," would you open up the envelope? I wouldn't. I'd think,
> "this is hype," and throw it away.
>
> From a marketing point of view, it makes better sense to state facts,
> and let those facts speak for themselves. When you do that, people can
> no longer imagine that you're engaging in meaningless hype. "My game
> is a history-making masterpiece" is meaningless. "My game is the first
> ever naval IF techno-thriller," if true, -snip-

It's not. Sierra On-Line did that "Codename: Iceman" thingy in the 1980s.

--
zimriel sbc dot
at global net

Wow, I have to say i never seen so many insults based on an announcement of a
game. I used to like reading through these posts, and i usually download games
based on other points of view, but i saw one writer totally bash this person
for announcing it (one writer that i always download his games) and i only saw
a few actually replying with anything that had any meaning, one that actually
backed up the claim to other games by stating he wrote a review of it. What
happened here? Do we gamers have so much time on our hands or what? I am just
so confused.... Hope i haven't offended anyone by this

Sarene

coqueta0519@aol.com (Coqueta0519) wrote in message news:<20040902151553.17374.00000108@mb-m27.aol.com>...
> Wow, I have to say i never seen so many insults based on an announcement of a
> game. I used to like reading through these posts, and i usually download games
> based on other points of view, but i saw one writer totally bash this person
> for announcing it (one writer that i always download his games) and i only saw
> a few actually replying with anything that had any meaning, one that actually
> backed up the claim to other games by stating he wrote a review of it. What
> happened here? Do we gamers have so much time on our hands or what? I am just
> so confused.... Hope i haven't offended anyone by this
>
> Sarene

Sarene, just read the officious and condescending reply Howard Sherman
wrote to Jess Knoch and you might begin to understand the reasons
Sherman attract such...strong feelings.

Jason

Thanks for the advice, i did just that and wow, i have to say this guy
has some serious issues. What a jerk (oops, did i say that?), maybe
if he spent less time praising himself/downing everyone else and more
time considering what other gamers and programmers are relaying to him
as far as suggestions, bug reports, and so forth he just might make it
as a whatever it is that he thinks he is, or not, you never know with
these kinds