Recommended Sci-Fi IF / Adventure Games

Hello all

I would like to get a list of recommended IF of the genre Science Fiction.

What are those Sci Fi adventure games that are a must? Why?

Thanks to all!

Best wishes, Bruce

brucehum@teleline.es (Bruce Humphrey) wrote in

> What are those Sci Fi adventure games that are a must? Why?

Looking back at the "classics," I'd add Suspended, and maybe Planetfall/
Stationfall. And of course, Hitchhiker's Guide and Leather Goddesses, for
different reasons.

I don't play many of the newer SF games, so aside from heartily seconding
Spider and Web, I can't add anything to this list.

Dave Doty

Bruce Humphrey <brucehum@teleline.es> wrote:
> I would like to get a list of recommended IF of the genre Science Fiction.

> What are those Sci Fi adventure games that are a must? Why?

Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin. Compelling gameplay, and it won a
pile of awards. Also lots of shiny gadgets to play with.

Insight, by Jon Ingold. Just *barely* science fiction, as it has aspects
of what many would call "science fantasy" - but the future society
motivates the plot, and the future world has some interesting details in
it. Very, VERY bizarre structure, though.

There are others that probably should be on the list - Bad Machine, LASH,
Fail-Safe - but I haven't managed to actually get around to playing them
yet, and so can't say whether or not they're must-plays, and I certainly
couldn't say why.

--Michael

In article <ea4b7e97.0408241554.718c3b90@posting.google.com>,
Bruce Humphrey <brucehum@teleline.es> wrote:
>Hello all
>
>I would like to get a list of recommended IF of the genre Science Fiction.
>
>What are those Sci Fi adventure games that are a must? Why?

Then I would suggest checking out the IF scoreboard.
http://www.carouselchain.com/if/statistics.php?genre=16&type=genre&limit=30
should give you plenty to choose from.

I guess if you are looking for more general musts you could
cross-index that with
http://emshort.home.mindspring.com/literacy.htm

--
Dan Shiovitz :: dbs@cs.wisc.edu :: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans
"He settled down to dictate a letter to the Consolidated Nailfile and

brucehum@teleline.es (Bruce Humphrey) wrote in message news:
<ea4b7e97.0408241554.718c3b90@posting.google.com>...
<< What are those Sci Fi adventure games that are a must? Why? >>

"Kaged" is an effective and unsettling piece of dystopian sci-fi and
"Glowgrass" is a short work about an archaeologist of the future.

"Bruce Humphrey" <brucehum@teleline.es> skrev i melding
> Hello all
>
> I would like to get a list of recommended IF of the genre Science Fiction.

Arrival, or Attack of the B-Movie Clichés is funny, though a bit difficult.
The same can be said about Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me!
Earth and Sky and Earth and Sky 2: Another Earth, Another Sky are good, if
you consider super heroes to be science fiction.
Vicious Cycles has some original and good puzzles.

David Doty <davedoty@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:
<Xns954FE82472D47dsdoty@38.119.71.33>...
<< Looking back at the "classics," I'd add Suspended, and
maybe Planetfall/Stationfall. And of course, Hitchhiker's Guide
and Leather Goddesses, for different reasons. >>

"A Mind Forever Voyaging," and the two "Gateway" games.

Sandsquish@yahoo.com (Walter Sandsquish) wrote in

> "A Mind Forever Voyaging," and the two "Gateway" games.

Although I give AMFV credit for trying something ambitious, I felt it
ultimately fell down on both gameplay and story fronts. It made very poor
use of an innovative interface full of potential, and the story, while it
certainly deserves recognition for trying to deal with serious political
themes, was ultimately too partisan and simplistic to actually say much
about them.

I'd say play it after you've gone through all of the other games with fewer
qualifiers, then play AMFV if you still want more.

Dave Doty

I've played most of the games listed and they're all pretty good, but
a great one no one's mention yet is Max Blaster and Doris de Lightning
Agaist the Parrot Creatures of Venus.

I think the title says it all, but in case you were wondering it
involves a pair of superagents (you can switch between them at will)
taking on the aforementioned Parrot Creatures of Venus. I really can't
do it justice here, but it's something like James Bond meets Douglas
Adams. Hilarious stuff. You really ought to give it a shot; as far as
I'm concerned it'd be worth playing for the footnotes alone.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:14:58 +0000 (UTC), Michael Chapman Martin
<mcmartin@Stanford.EDU> wrote:

>Bruce Humphrey <brucehum@teleline.es> wrote:
>> I would like to get a list of recommended IF of the genre Science Fiction.
>
>> What are those Sci Fi adventure games that are a must? Why?
>
>Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin. Compelling gameplay, and it won a
>pile of awards. Also lots of shiny gadgets to play with.
>
>Insight, by Jon Ingold. Just *barely* science fiction, as it has aspects
>of what many would call "science fantasy" - but the future society
>motivates the plot, and the future world has some interesting details in
>it. Very, VERY bizarre structure, though.
>
>There are others that probably should be on the list - Bad Machine, LASH,
>Fail-Safe - but I haven't managed to actually get around to playing them
>yet, and so can't say whether or not they're must-plays, and I certainly
>couldn't say why.
>
>--Michael

Sandsquish@yahoo.com (Walter Sandsquish) wrote:
> "A Mind Forever Voyaging," and the two "Gateway" games.

I'd like to second Gateway and Gateway 2 (my favorite works of IF),
and add Timequest (a great game, but very difficult -- I never could
have solved it without multiple hints).

Greg

On 24 Aug 2004 16:54:08 -0700
brucehum@teleline.es (Bruce Humphrey) wrote:

> I would like to get a list of recommended IF of the genre Science Fiction.
>
> What are those Sci Fi adventure games that are a must? Why?

LASH is a wonderful game set in a run-of-the-mill post-apocalyptic world. It has an engrossing plot, is full of surprises, is set in a small but fun to explore setting and makes an interestingly innovative use of the IF medium. plus it's one of the very few games I've seen that actually use the dig verb.

Bruno Ribeiro Dias <bruno@octantis.com.br> wrote in message news:<20040908221656.2d6efc5f.bruno@octantis.com.br>...
> LASH is a wonderful game set in a run-of-the-mill post-apocalyptic world. It has an engrossing plot, is full of surprises, is set in a small but fun to explore setting and makes an interestingly innovative use of the IF medium. plus it's one of the very few games I've seen that actually use the dig verb.

If you like the verb "dig" you should definitly play "The Incredible
Hulk" by Scott Adams. However, this is definitly the _only_ reason I
could think of to play that game. IMHO one of the worst text
adventures ever.

Bob