Question concerning wiping partitions and how separate are..

Hello Everybody,

I have some questions regarding my PC which has got windows XP installed on
it. I have got 4 partitions, but one main hard drive, essentially my
questions is this.
Is there any way that viruses or anything else can transfer between one
partition and another automatically (excluding manually putting transferring
them from one partion to another").

The next question is if I wipe complete all the contents of the C drive (is
is called the Active partition or something like that) will this 100% get
rid of any traces of anything that was or could have been installed on my
computer.

The question I want to ask is can you consider the other partitions as being
totally separate, I need to mention also that XP is installed only on C
partition. For exapmple if something was downloaded does it ever only stay
on the main C partition allways? So if it is deleted, any contents, or any
virus or trojans all will be contained only on C.

The basic point of the question is to find out if I need to wipe my entire
disc or just wipe the main parition in order to completely wipe out
everything that was on my operating system.

Thanks in advance and sorry if my question is a bit rambly :)
5 answers Last reply
More about question wiping partitions separate

    As long as you have installed all the Windows XP critical updates
    and a good, robust, antivirus program, you should not have a major
    concern with becoming infected with viruses. A nasty virus can
    destroy your files, no matter which partition. Any file you download
    should be scanned for viruses before opening or executing the file.

    Please read the following:

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Charlotte" wrote:

    | Hello Everybody,
    |
    | I have some questions regarding my PC which has got windows XP installed on
    | it. I have got 4 partitions, but one main hard drive, essentially my
    | questions is this.
    | Is there any way that viruses or anything else can transfer between one
    | partition and another automatically (excluding manually putting transferring
    | them from one partion to another").
    |
    | The next question is if I wipe complete all the contents of the C drive (is
    | is called the Active partition or something like that) will this 100% get
    | rid of any traces of anything that was or could have been installed on my
    | computer.
    |
    | The question I want to ask is can you consider the other partitions as being
    | totally separate, I need to mention also that XP is installed only on C
    | partition. For exapmple if something was downloaded does it ever only stay
    | on the main C partition allways? So if it is deleted, any contents, or any
    | virus or trojans all will be contained only on C.
    |
    | The basic point of the question is to find out if I need to wipe my entire
    | disc or just wipe the main parition in order to completely wipe out
    | everything that was on my operating system.
    |
    | Thanks in advance and sorry if my question is a bit rambly :)

    Answered inline

    "Charlotte" <charlotte@sometimes.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I have some questions regarding my PC which has got windows XP installed
    > on it. I have got 4 partitions, but one main hard drive, essentially my
    > questions is this.
    > Is there any way that viruses or anything else can transfer between one
    > partition and another automatically (excluding manually putting
    > transferring them from one partion to another").

    Yes

    > The next question is if I wipe complete all the contents of the C drive
    > (is is called the Active partition or something like that) will this 100%
    > get rid of any traces of anything that was or could have been installed on
    > my computer.

    No

    > The question I want to ask is can you consider the other partitions as
    > being totally separate, I need to mention also that XP is installed only
    > on C partition. For exapmple if something was downloaded does it ever only
    > stay on the main C partition allways? So if it is deleted, any contents,
    > or any virus or trojans all will be contained only on C.

    No

    > The basic point of the question is to find out if I need to wipe my entire
    > disc or just wipe the main parition in order to completely wipe out
    > everything that was on my operating system.
    >
    > Thanks in advance and sorry if my question is a bit rambly :)

    If you logon with an account that has administrator permissions then a
    malware program can do anything it likes on any partition. If any of the
    partitions have shared folders then many network aware virii will drop files
    into them attempteing to infect other computers on the network. Many virii
    will scan all available drives (partitions) looking for exe files to infect.
    If you are infected with a root kit or backdoor program then your computer
    can be accessed at will over the Internet. Whoever does this could install
    files anywhere on your computer.

    Kerry

    Charlotte wrote:

    > Hello Everybody,
    >
    > I have some questions regarding my PC which has got windows XP installed on
    > it. I have got 4 partitions, but one main hard drive, essentially my
    > questions is this.
    > Is there any way that viruses or anything else can transfer between one
    > partition and another automatically (excluding manually putting transferring
    > them from one partion to another").
    >
    > The next question is if I wipe complete all the contents of the C drive (is
    > is called the Active partition or something like that) will this 100% get
    > rid of any traces of anything that was or could have been installed on my
    > computer.
    >
    > The question I want to ask is can you consider the other partitions as being
    > totally separate, I need to mention also that XP is installed only on C
    > partition. For exapmple if something was downloaded does it ever only stay
    > on the main C partition allways? So if it is deleted, any contents, or any
    > virus or trojans all will be contained only on C.
    >
    > The basic point of the question is to find out if I need to wipe my entire
    > disc or just wipe the main parition in order to completely wipe out
    > everything that was on my operating system.
    >
    > Thanks in advance and sorry if my question is a bit rambly :)

    Is there a specific problem you're trying to address, or just a general
    knowledge question? Malware can distribute itself to any of the
    partitions.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    > Answered inline
    >
    > "Charlotte" <charlotte@sometimes.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello Everybody,
    >>
    >> I have some questions regarding my PC which has got windows XP installed
    >> on it. I have got 4 partitions, but one main hard drive, essentially my
    >> questions is this.
    >> Is there any way that viruses or anything else can transfer between one
    >> partition and another automatically (excluding manually putting
    >> transferring them from one partion to another").
    >
    > Yes
    >

    >> The next question is if I wipe complete all the contents of the C drive
    >> (is is called the Active partition or something like that) will this 100%
    >> get rid of any traces of anything that was or could have been installed
    >> on my computer.
    >
    > No
    >

    >> The question I want to ask is can you consider the other partitions as
    >> being totally separate, I need to mention also that XP is installed only
    >> on C partition. For exapmple if something was downloaded does it ever
    >> only stay on the main C partition allways? So if it is deleted, any
    >> contents, or any virus or trojans all will be contained only on C.
    >
    > No
    >

    >> The basic point of the question is to find out if I need to wipe my
    >> entire disc or just wipe the main parition in order to completely wipe
    >> out everything that was on my operating system.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance and sorry if my question is a bit rambly :)
    >>

    > If you logon with an account that has administrator permissions then a
    > malware program can do anything it likes on any partition. If any of the
    > partitions have shared folders then many network aware virii will drop
    > files into them attempteing to infect other computers on the network. Many
    > virii will scan all available drives (partitions) looking for exe files to
    > infect. If you are infected with a root kit or backdoor program then your
    > computer can be accessed at will over the Internet. Whoever does this
    > could install files anywhere on your computer.
    >
    > Kerry

    Who in the world would ever do online banking if they really knew the half
    of it?

    Thankyou!

    >> Answered inline
    >>
    >> "Charlotte" <charlotte@sometimes.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello Everybody,
    >>>
    >>> I have some questions regarding my PC which has got windows XP installed
    >>> on it. I have got 4 partitions, but one main hard drive, essentially my
    >>> questions is this.
    >>> Is there any way that viruses or anything else can transfer between one
    >>> partition and another automatically (excluding manually putting
    >>> transferring them from one partion to another").
    >>
    >> Yes
    >>

    >>> The next question is if I wipe complete all the contents of the C drive
    >>> (is is called the Active partition or something like that) will this
    >>> 100% get rid of any traces of anything that was or could have been
    >>> installed on my computer.
    >>
    >> No
    >>

    >>> The question I want to ask is can you consider the other partitions as
    >>> being totally separate, I need to mention also that XP is installed only
    >>> on C partition. For exapmple if something was downloaded does it ever
    >>> only stay on the main C partition allways? So if it is deleted, any
    >>> contents, or any virus or trojans all will be contained only on C.
    >>
    >> No
    >>

    >>> The basic point of the question is to find out if I need to wipe my
    >>> entire disc or just wipe the main parition in order to completely wipe
    >>> out everything that was on my operating system.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance and sorry if my question is a bit rambly :)
    >>>

    >> If you logon with an account that has administrator permissions then a
    >> malware program can do anything it likes on any partition. If any of the
    >> partitions have shared folders then many network aware virii will drop
    >> files into them attempteing to infect other computers on the network.
    >> Many virii will scan all available drives (partitions) looking for exe
    >> files to infect. If you are infected with a root kit or backdoor program
    >> then your computer can be accessed at will over the Internet. Whoever
    >> does this could install files anywhere on your computer.
    >>
    >> Kerry
    >
    > Who in the world would ever do online banking if they really knew the half
    > of it?
    >
    > Thankyou!

    I do. If you take reasonable precautions Internet banking is safer than
    using a debit machine at a gas station. We've had a rash of fraudulent card
    readers installed in our area lately :-)

    Realistically, if you use an up to date antivirus program, a couple of
    antispyware programs, and practice safe surfing, you are reasonably safe. I
    have no qualms using online banking. There is probably a greater financial
    risk of identity theft from stolen mail than problems with online banking.

    Kerry

Partition Windows XP