Reinstalled Windows but settings weren't saved. PLEASE HELP!

During the last few years, some viruses had corrupted some of my Windows
files. It was not a big deal until recently when my PC started to crash
randomly. Since my Windows XP cd was long lost during several moves, I
borrowed one from a friend of mine. It appeared that it was a Brazilian
version but I was desperate enough to use it for reinstalling Windows on my
PC.

After installation, I found that the whole system was reset to default
settings. (The language was now in Portuguese as well) All my program files
still exist but all the shortcuts were lost. My old user setting folder still
exists, but I cannot access it. (Access denied)

What can I do to retrieve my old user settings and restore my program
shortcuts, etc? I am computer illeterate even with the OS in English. Now
it's in Portuguese! Please help.
4 answers Last reply
More about reinstalled windows settings weren saved help

    You'll probably be able to recover your user settings, but it's gonna be much
    more difficult, if not impossible to recover your programs. The reason is
    that the programs access files in many different locations on the disk - not
    just in Program Files. The work involved in restoring them is horrendous!

    Here's some info from another to post that'll help you access your files:

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Also, once you're in the Knowledge Base, search for terms like settings
    transfer and it should give you some info on the capabilities of the Files
    and Settings Transfer Wizard.

    Good Luck!

    "D. Virtus" wrote:

    > During the last few years, some viruses had corrupted some of my Windows
    > files. It was not a big deal until recently when my PC started to crash
    > randomly. Since my Windows XP cd was long lost during several moves, I
    > borrowed one from a friend of mine. It appeared that it was a Brazilian
    > version but I was desperate enough to use it for reinstalling Windows on my
    > PC.
    >
    > After installation, I found that the whole system was reset to default
    > settings. (The language was now in Portuguese as well) All my program files
    > still exist but all the shortcuts were lost. My old user setting folder still
    > exists, but I cannot access it. (Access denied)
    >
    > What can I do to retrieve my old user settings and restore my program
    > shortcuts, etc? I am computer illeterate even with the OS in English. Now
    > it's in Portuguese! Please help.

    Thank you for the prompt response.
    As long as my settings can be recovered, I should be OK. Recovering the
    programs is a matter of reinstalling them and transfering whatever files were
    saved. That is what I hope . . .

    "usasma" wrote:

    > You'll probably be able to recover your user settings, but it's gonna be much
    > more difficult, if not impossible to recover your programs. The reason is
    > that the programs access files in many different locations on the disk - not
    > just in Program Files. The work involved in restoring them is horrendous!
    >
    > Here's some info from another to post that'll help you access your files:
    >
    > "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >
    > Also, once you're in the Knowledge Base, search for terms like settings
    > transfer and it should give you some info on the capabilities of the Files
    > and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    >
    > Good Luck!
    >

    > "D. Virtus" wrote:
    >
    > > During the last few years, some viruses had corrupted some of my Windows
    > > files. It was not a big deal until recently when my PC started to crash
    > > randomly. Since my Windows XP cd was long lost during several moves, I
    > > borrowed one from a friend of mine. It appeared that it was a Brazilian
    > > version but I was desperate enough to use it for reinstalling Windows on my
    > > PC.
    > >
    > > After installation, I found that the whole system was reset to default
    > > settings. (The language was now in Portuguese as well) All my program files
    > > still exist but all the shortcuts were lost. My old user setting folder still
    > > exists, but I cannot access it. (Access denied)
    > >
    > > What can I do to retrieve my old user settings and restore my program
    > > shortcuts, etc? I am computer illeterate even with the OS in English. Now
    > > it's in Portuguese! Please help.

    It appears you overwrote your programs and settings by
    installing a different language version of Windows XP.
    You were not supposed to do that. See the following:

    Data or Program Settings Are Missing After You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313362

    Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "D. Virtus" wrote:

    | During the last few years, some viruses had corrupted some of my Windows
    | files. It was not a big deal until recently when my PC started to crash
    | randomly. Since my Windows XP cd was long lost during several moves, I
    | borrowed one from a friend of mine. It appeared that it was a Brazilian
    | version but I was desperate enough to use it for reinstalling Windows on my
    | PC.
    |
    | After installation, I found that the whole system was reset to default
    | settings. (The language was now in Portuguese as well) All my program files
    | still exist but all the shortcuts were lost. My old user setting folder still
    | exists, but I cannot access it. (Access denied)
    |
    | What can I do to retrieve my old user settings and restore my program
    | shortcuts, etc? I am computer illeterate even with the OS in English. Now
    | it's in Portuguese! Please help.

    Thank you for the quick reply.
    Now I'm beginning to understand what happened and how careless I was.
    Once I figure out what needs to be done, I'm sure everything will fall into
    place.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > It appears you overwrote your programs and settings by
    > installing a different language version of Windows XP.
    > You were not supposed to do that. See the following:
    >
    > Data or Program Settings Are Missing After You Install Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313362
    >
    > Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "D. Virtus" wrote:
    >
    > | During the last few years, some viruses had corrupted some of my Windows
    > | files. It was not a big deal until recently when my PC started to crash
    > | randomly. Since my Windows XP cd was long lost during several moves, I
    > | borrowed one from a friend of mine. It appeared that it was a Brazilian
    > | version but I was desperate enough to use it for reinstalling Windows on my
    > | PC.
    > |
    > | After installation, I found that the whole system was reset to default
    > | settings. (The language was now in Portuguese as well) All my program files
    > | still exist but all the shortcuts were lost. My old user setting folder still
    > | exists, but I cannot access it. (Access denied)
    > |
    > | What can I do to retrieve my old user settings and restore my program
    > | shortcuts, etc? I am computer illeterate even with the OS in English. Now
    > | it's in Portuguese! Please help.

Windows XP