xp and works

I just installed xp and now need to reinstall works but i cant get works to
pop up for re-installation. The cd is in the cd-rom but it won't come up. it
is version 4.5 and will work with w95 or windows NT Workstation 4.0.

Any suggestions
Thanks

Also. This discussion board runs awful innefiniantly on my somputer.
Everything else runs fine but this board is hard to use. Does anyone else
think this way?
6 answers Last reply
More about works

    You can try installing your old version of Works using Windows XP's
    Program Compatibility Wizard:

    How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    If not successful:

    Consider purchasing Works Suite 2005 which is fully compatible
    with Windows XP.

    Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (also includes Microsoft Word 2002)
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr

    ($99.95 - $20.00 rebate = $79.95) (excellent value)

    Also, you need to install Java for a better web-based newsgroup loading:

    JAVA SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS
    http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "sj" wrote:

    | I just installed xp and now need to reinstall works but i cant get works to
    | pop up for re-installation. The cd is in the cd-rom but it won't come up. it
    | is version 4.5 and will work with w95 or windows NT Workstation 4.0.
    |
    | Any suggestions
    | Thanks
    |
    | Also. This discussion board runs awful innefiniantly on my somputer.
    | Everything else runs fine but this board is hard to use. Does anyone else
    | think this way?

    Thanks for you help. I have gone to the program Compatibility Wizard and have
    run into anohter problem. Whne I typ in the commands ande press enter it
    tells me that "The destination is not a directory." and then list what i have
    just typed. I've double checked what i typed in so if you couldhelp i would
    appreciate it.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > You can try installing your old version of Works using Windows XP's
    > Program Compatibility Wizard:
    >
    > How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    >
    > If not successful:
    >
    > Consider purchasing Works Suite 2005 which is fully compatible
    > with Windows XP.
    >
    > Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (also includes Microsoft Word 2002)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr
    >
    > ($99.95 - $20.00 rebate = $79.95) (excellent value)
    >
    > Also, you need to install Java for a better web-based newsgroup loading:
    >
    > JAVA SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS
    > http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "sj" wrote:
    >
    > | I just installed xp and now need to reinstall works but i cant get works to
    > | pop up for re-installation. The cd is in the cd-rom but it won't come up. it
    > | is version 4.5 and will work with w95 or windows NT Workstation 4.0.
    > |
    > | Any suggestions
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Also. This discussion board runs awful innefiniantly on my somputer.
    > | Everything else runs fine but this board is hard to use. Does anyone else
    > | think this way?

    Works 4.5a: Unable to Install the Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q246573

    How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301911&sd=tech

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "sj" wrote:

    | Thanks for you help. I have gone to the program Compatibility Wizard and have
    | run into anohter problem. Whne I typ in the commands ande press enter it
    | tells me that "The destination is not a directory." and then list what i have
    | just typed. I've double checked what i typed in so if you couldhelp i would
    | appreciate it.

    From My Computer, select the CD drive with a right click,
    select browse. Find the setup.exe file and double click it.

    Your new XP installation is not set to autorun CDs, you can
    set that by again right clicking the CD drive and select
    properties.

    some support

    "sj" <sj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I just installed xp and now need to reinstall works but i
    cant get works to
    | pop up for re-installation. The cd is in the cd-rom but it
    won't come up. it
    | is version 4.5 and will work with w95 or windows NT
    Workstation 4.0.

    | Any suggestions
    | Thanks
    |
    | Also. This discussion board runs awful innefiniantly on my
    somputer.
    | Everything else runs fine but this board is hard to use.
    Does anyone else
    | think this way?

    "sj" <sj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Also. This discussion board runs awful innefiniantly on my somputer.
    > Everything else runs fine but this board is hard to use. Does anyone else
    > think this way?

    Then use a news reader to access it rather than the awfull (as you have
    found out!) web interface.

    Configuring Outlook Express to read News:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=171164&product=oex

    Works 4.x, 6, and 98 already have compat fixes installed. For Works 4.x it only requires Windows to lie about the free disk space (will only report a max of 2 GB of free space). Works 4.5 is compatable with XP cos MS made it so. You are very free with other's money.

    Did you run setup. We don't read minds.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:Ovo3d$jgFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > You can try installing your old version of Works using Windows XP's
    > Program Compatibility Wizard:
    >
    > How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    >
    > If not successful:
    >
    > Consider purchasing Works Suite 2005 which is fully compatible
    > with Windows XP.
    >
    > Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (also includes Microsoft Word 2002)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=88ef866c-23d8-4105-b196-a3d05a8f7234&type=ovr
    >
    > ($99.95 - $20.00 rebate = $79.95) (excellent value)
    >
    > Also, you need to install Java for a better web-based newsgroup loading:
    >
    > JAVA SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS
    > http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "sj" wrote:
    >
    > | I just installed xp and now need to reinstall works but i cant get works to
    > | pop up for re-installation. The cd is in the cd-rom but it won't come up. it
    > | is version 4.5 and will work with w95 or windows NT Workstation 4.0.
    > |
    > | Any suggestions
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Also. This discussion board runs awful innefiniantly on my somputer.
    > | Everything else runs fine but this board is hard to use. Does anyone else
    > | think this way?

Windows XP Microsoft CD-Rom