Outlook Express v6 d/l's, kills msgs without reading them

Help!

My OE v6 d/l's my msgs then immediately kills them without letting me read any!
Whats worse, it removes them off my ISP so I cant even reload them using another
reader! It lists the number of msgs it d/l's, giving an accurate count but when
I click on Inbox, it's empty! Is it a bug, wrong box checked, or should I just
ditch OE and go with another reader?

Bill
Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
as if any other time isn't worth noting....
Michael Rarfit
9 answers Last reply
More about outlook express kills msgs reading them

    If you have any Spam program running, disable it and try. Also, turn off
    e-mail scanning. Your A/V will still protect you. If still no joy, you may
    have a corrupt identity. Create a new one and test it. If all is well, you
    can import your saved messages (if you have any) and delete the old
    identity.

    OE6 Specific Newsgroup:
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    ~IB-CA~

    "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
    > Help!
    >
    > My OE v6 d/l's my msgs then immediately kills them without letting me read
    > any!
    > Whats worse, it removes them off my ISP so I cant even reload them using
    > another
    > reader! It lists the number of msgs it d/l's, giving an accurate count
    > but when
    > I click on Inbox, it's empty! Is it a bug, wrong box checked, or should I
    > just
    > ditch OE and go with another reader?
    >
    > Bill
    > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    > Michael Rarfit

    You may wish to visit the Outlook Express newsgroup and repost your question:

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" wrote:

    | Help!
    |
    | My OE v6 d/l's my msgs then immediately kills them without letting me read any!
    | Whats worse, it removes them off my ISP so I cant even reload them using another
    | reader! It lists the number of msgs it d/l's, giving an accurate count but when
    | I click on Inbox, it's empty! Is it a bug, wrong box checked, or should I just
    | ditch OE and go with another reader?
    |
    | Bill

    Another thing may be a damaged Inbox. I assume it's empty, but if not, move
    any mail to a user created local folder. Then:

    Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder will reveal the location
    of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
    location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start>Run>Ctrl+V will put the location
    in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write the
    location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

    In WindowsXP & 2K, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
    marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
    Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder
    Options>View.

    With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in
    question {Inbox.dbx} and delete it. A new one will be created
    automatically when you open OE.

    Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually
    become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing
    mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly.
    Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as
    is feasible.

    After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually
    while working *offline* and do it often.

    Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
    open. Then: File>Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the Status
    Bar).
    File>Folder>Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until the compacting
    is completed.

    In Tools>Options>Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
    and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

    Bruce Hagen
    MS MVP - (IE/OE)
    ~IB-CA~

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > You may wish to visit the Outlook Express newsgroup and repost your question:
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    I was searching thru the big ms list to find the OE .ng but couldnt spot it,
    thanks for the re-direct...

    Bill

    Bruce Hagen wrote:

    > Another thing may be a damaged Inbox. I assume it's empty, but if not, move
    > any mail to a user created local folder. Then:
    >
    > Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder will reveal the location
    > of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
    > location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start>Run>Ctrl+V will put the location
    > in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write the
    > location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > In WindowsXP & 2K, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
    > marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
    > Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder
    > Options>View.
    >
    > With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in
    > question {Inbox.dbx} and delete it. A new one will be created
    > automatically when you open OE.
    >
    > Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually
    > become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing
    > mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly.
    > Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as
    > is feasible.
    >
    > After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually
    > while working *offline* and do it often.
    >
    > Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
    > open. Then: File>Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the Status
    > Bar).
    > File>Folder>Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until the compacting
    > is completed.
    >
    > In Tools>Options>Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
    > and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
    >
    > Bruce Hagen
    > MS MVP - (IE/OE)
    > ~IB-CA~

    Bruce,

    Ok, I disabled the AV scanner and email setting in Dr Solomons, I deleted the
    Inbox.idx folder(it was empty) and user profile, they were in my Netscape User
    folder! Maybe that had something to do with the failure.. I then went into OE
    and rebuilt the profile. After that, that I ran some msg tests and it appears
    things are back to normal. Thanks for the help!

    You guys rock!

    Bill

    > "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
    > > If you have any Spam program running, disable it and try. Also, turn off
    > > e-mail scanning. Your A/V will still protect you. If still no joy, you may
    > > have a corrupt identity. Create a new one and test it. If all is well, you
    > > can import your saved messages (if you have any) and delete the old
    > > identity.
    > >
    > > OE6 Specific Newsgroup:
    > > --
    > > Bruce Hagen
    > > MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    > > ~IB-CA~
    > >
    > > "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
    > >> Help!
    > >>
    > >> My OE v6 d/l's my msgs then immediately kills them without letting me
    > >> read any!
    > >> Whats worse, it removes them off my ISP so I cant even reload them using
    > >> another
    > >> reader! It lists the number of msgs it d/l's, giving an accurate count
    > >> but when
    > >> I click on Inbox, it's empty! Is it a bug, wrong box checked, or should
    > >> I just
    > >> ditch OE and go with another reader?
    > >>
    > >> Bill
    > >> =================================================================
    > >> Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    > >> as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    > >> Michael Rarfit

    Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    Michael Rarfit

    Do what you want. Don't threaten me dickhead.

    "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message news:42CBFE3E.14559156@cableaz.com...
    > Help!
    >
    > My OE v6 d/l's my msgs then immediately kills them without letting me read any!
    > Whats worse, it removes them off my ISP so I cant even reload them using another
    > reader! It lists the number of msgs it d/l's, giving an accurate count but when
    > I click on Inbox, it's empty! Is it a bug, wrong box checked, or should I just
    > ditch OE and go with another reader?
    >
    > Bill
    > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    > Michael Rarfit

    WTFO?

    "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message news:42CC0D03.416D9766@cableaz.com...
    > WTFO?
    >
    > David Candy wrote:
    >>
    >> Do what you want. Don't threaten me dickhead.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message news:42CBFE3E.14559156@cableaz.com...
    >> > Help!
    >> >
    >> > My OE v6 d/l's my msgs then immediately kills them without letting me read any!
    >> > Whats worse, it removes them off my ISP so I cant even reload them using another
    >> > reader! It lists the number of msgs it d/l's, giving an accurate count but when
    >> > I click on Inbox, it's empty! Is it a bug, wrong box checked, or should I just
    >> > ditch OE and go with another reader?
    >> >
    >> > Bill
    >> > =================================================================
    >> > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    >> > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    >> > Michael Rarfit

    > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    > Michael Rarfit

    JSTFU

    David Candy wrote:

    > "or should I just ditch OE and go with another reader?"

    > "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message news:42CC0D03.416D9766@cableaz.com...
    > > WTFO?
    > >
    > > David Candy wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Do what you want. Don't threaten me dickhead.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html

    > > --
    > > Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    > > as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    > > Michael Rarfit

    Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    Michael Rarfit

Outlook Express Internet Service Providers Windows XP