software boundle

mario

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003
Hi everybody.
I was looking for a DVD writer. Since I had bad experiences with CD creator (and plextor cd-rw), I would like to try something different.
I read good things about Nero, and all the utilities that come with it, so...the questions are:

1) which DVD writer comes with Nero?
2) is it coming with the full version (I am a little confused by the different versions: burning ROM, 6 Ultra suite, etc.)or a stripped down, containing only the burning software?
1) is Nero the only alternative to CD-DVD creator?

Thanks in advance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Various drives come with or without software of various types, so that you have to look at the discription to see what's there. Some companies offer Nero for something like $10 with the purchase of a drive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mario

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003
thanks for answering.
I wonder if the Nero version they offer is the full Nero 6 Ultra suite. I checked at some boxes, but informations are very confusing. I know you can buy Nero for few dollars, but that is only the burning software and not the suite, which cost 99 box at stores.
I can guess many things, but I need someone out there with some experience on Nero software. May be it is not so good, since nobody answered yet.

Thanks again,

Mario

I have used Nero for years now. Currently I am using the Nero 6.xx Ultra Suite. I like Nero better than quite a few things I have used, however it still necessary for me to use other things for somethings (Rare, but occasionally CloneCD, and DART, however niether for DVDs). I've seen a few drives that come with RecordNow/Sonic, these came with my laptop (DVDRW drive). RecordNow/Sonic is easily the worst burning program I have ever used (It works, but is not very user friendly, and doesn't have many options). Afer burning one disk, I upgraded my copy of Nero.

Anyways, whatever software bundle you get with the drive, will at least let you to burn disks and such.

I personally like Nero, and have used it primarily for years now, and will most likely continue to do so.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I like Nero, a friend gave me a free copy of Nero 6 Ultra Suite, when I tried to update it the updater said it wasn't a retail version and piss off, so I simply googled a new licence.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

so I simply googled a new licence.
Yeah.... I wouldn't know anything about that. I don't know anything about the "free" version of Nero either.

If you look, you can find <b>whatever</b> you need.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
I am currently using Nero, but it's only with my cd burner as I don't have a dvd burner yet. I like it a lot.

However, my last burner came with adaptec and I liked it even more, just am not willing to shell out the money for a version that works with windows xp as my last burner was in my windows 98 system.

and speaking of formatting, my adaptec software(which came free with my samsung burner) allowed me to format my cd-r's and drag/drop anything I wanted onto it like a floppy disc, just couldn't erase it or if I did just couldn't replace it. I really liked that feature. I'm not sure if the updated software that works with xp still works like that or not

RichPLS

Champion
Plextor makes some of the Best DVD/CD Burners.
I have used multiple ones at work, and to me it is obvious that Plextor makes the best.
Check out the PX-712 or PX-716 specs, they come with nice s/w suite, and excellent utilities, and good warranty.
I have never ran across disc burning issues with any of the brands I buy locally.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

grecai63

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
I bought a Pioneer DVR 107d. Works great. Nero 6 came with burner. However the manufacture decides what features are licenced with the buner. Nero has back it up, however it was not licenced with Pioneer so I could not use it. I have adaptec and Nero. I use both for different type od burning jobs.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's not always the manufacturer who decides on the software included, some venders add software for a small price.

I've for example seen burners with a $10 fee to add Nero. Some venders include the fee in the price and don't offer the drive without software.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wonder if the Nero version they offer is the full Nero 6 Ultra suite.
No, it only has partial of it. If I remember correctly, it lacks its main program Nero Burning ROM (which included Wave Editor for song editing).
Roxio Creator has been improving with its version 7. I've used it with my NEC 8X DVD Dual Layer writer which comes with Platinum version (OEM but it can be updated) and I like it very much.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

TRENDING THREADS